. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Cornell
76%
UCLA
24%

Total votes: 49

Malarkey

New

Re: Cornell vs. UCLA

Post by Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:50 am

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:02 am

Malarkey wrote:
Itiswritten wrote: Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Penn. Cornell doesn't count as an Ivy League in any way outside of name and history. Everyone knows it, and the statistics are clear. Cornell is a peer school with UCLA and anyone who thinks otherwise is pretentiously clinging on to the 'Ivy League' name with their head in the sand.
While I appreciate your contribution to this thread regarding your employment, I've never understood this line of criticism. I went to undergrad on the west coast so I have no attachment to Cornell, but the whole "not a real Ivy" shtick is baseless. First of all, what exactly do you think qualifies a school as an Ivy? If Cornell lacks some level of intellectual rigor, I'm assuming you'd also cross Brown and Dartmouth off the list.

Also, what statistics are you talking about? The ones you posted were about total partners per school, which is largely affected by total class size. That statistic certainly seems less important than say, this: https://www.lstreports.com/national/ which places Cornell at #3 for employment score. UCLA places well below.

And If we're talking about merit of the university as whole, as you seem to be suggesting with the Ivy thing, I can easily pull out random statistics that make Cornell look better than other places. Let's take the number nobel laureates affiliated with the school, for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ffiliation
Cornell has the 9th most nobel laureates of any university in the world. That's ahead of every Ivy except Harvard and Columbia, and way ahead of UCLA.

But my point is not that Cornell is better than UCLA or that it deserves "Ivy status." I went to a UC for undergrad, so if anything, I feel an attachment to UCLA, and I agree that Cornell and UCLA are basically peers. My point is that this line of argument against Cornell is an exercise in reductive reasoning and pretentiousness. Now we should probably move on before this devolves into another thread about lay prestige.
UVA2B wrote:TL:DR

If Biglaw>CA law: Cornell
If CA law>Biglaw: UCLA
If CA law=Biglaw: quibble over differences in national reach and placement power in LA. Make a decision if a breeze ever pushes you off the fence.
This sums it up pretty well.
An Ivy League lawschool is defined by its employment statistics.

Cornell is closer to UCLA than it is to Penn, let alone Columbia or Harvard. There is nothing controversial about realizing what defines a law school (i.e. Employment). Neither Brown nor Dartmouth have law schools, so they're irrelevant. It has nothing to do with lay prestige (Chicago is more of a peer school with HYCP than Cornell is, and it has little to no lay prestige). Cornell isn't comparable to HYS or CCN so it shouldn't be thought of as in the same category (nor should UCLA for that matter).

So why the hell are you talking about undergrad? No one gives a shit about undergrad, this is a law school forum.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:11 am

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am

Itiswritten wrote:

Cornell is closer to UCLA than it is to Penn, let alone Columbia or Harvard. There is nothing controversial about realizing what defines a law school (i.e. Employment). Neither Brown nor Dartmouth have law schools, so they're irrelevant. It has nothing to do with lay prestige. Cornell isn't comparable to HYS or CCN so it shouldn't be thought of as in the same category (nor should UCLA for that matter).

So why the hell are you talking about undergrad? No one gives a shit about undergrad, this is a law school forum.
https://www.lstreports.com/compare/ucla/penn/cornell/

versus:

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/ucla ... ilt/texas/

I agree with your point: schools (and peers) should be defined in relation to their employment statistics. I think it's laughable to suggest Cornell is closer to UCLA then Penn, however, whether we're looking at biglaw numbers only or even total employment. You made a pretty uninformed comment, so I guess I'm just going to stop conversing with you now.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 am

Itiswritten wrote:
Malarkey wrote:
Itiswritten wrote: Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Penn. Cornell doesn't count as an Ivy League in any way outside of name and history. Everyone knows it, and the statistics are clear. Cornell is a peer school with UCLA and anyone who thinks otherwise is pretentiously clinging on to the 'Ivy League' name with their head in the sand.
While I appreciate your contribution to this thread regarding your employment, I've never understood this line of criticism. I went to undergrad on the west coast so I have no attachment to Cornell, but the whole "not a real Ivy" shtick is baseless. First of all, what exactly do you think qualifies a school as an Ivy? If Cornell lacks some level of intellectual rigor, I'm assuming you'd also cross Brown and Dartmouth off the list.

Also, what statistics are you talking about? The ones you posted were about total partners per school, which is largely affected by total class size. That statistic certainly seems less important than say, this: https://www.lstreports.com/national/ which places Cornell at #3 for employment score. UCLA places well below.

And If we're talking about merit of the university as whole, as you seem to be suggesting with the Ivy thing, I can easily pull out random statistics that make Cornell look better than other places. Let's take the number nobel laureates affiliated with the school, for instance: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... ffiliation
Cornell has the 9th most nobel laureates of any university in the world. That's ahead of every Ivy except Harvard and Columbia, and way ahead of UCLA.

But my point is not that Cornell is better than UCLA or that it deserves "Ivy status." I went to a UC for undergrad, so if anything, I feel an attachment to UCLA, and I agree that Cornell and UCLA are basically peers. My point is that this line of argument against Cornell is an exercise in reductive reasoning and pretentiousness. Now we should probably move on before this devolves into another thread about lay prestige.
UVA2B wrote:TL:DR

If Biglaw>CA law: Cornell
If CA law>Biglaw: UCLA
If CA law=Biglaw: quibble over differences in national reach and placement power in LA. Make a decision if a breeze ever pushes you off the fence.
This sums it up pretty well.

Cornell is closer to UCLA than it is to Penn, let alone Columbia or Harvard. There is nothing controversial about realizing what defines a law school (i.e. Employment). Neither Brown nor Dartmouth have law schools, so they're irrelevant. It has nothing to do with lay prestige (Chicago is more of a peer school with HYCP than Cornell is, and it has little to no lay prestige). Cornell isn't comparable to HYS or CCN so it shouldn't be thought of as in the same category (nor should UCLA for that matter).

This is ridiculous. Anyone who gave a cursory look at the employment stats would realize that Cornell and Penn crush UCLA in terms of placement into biglaw + fed clerkships.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:23 am

Cornell is not a peer school with any other ivy and, regarding earlier, they place like 10 people in California per year.

But I'll let you Cornell students cling to that national-placement idea and the whole 'ivy-league' thing. Lol.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:27 am

Itiswritten wrote:Cornell is not a peer school with any other ivy and, regarding earlier, they place like 10 people in California per year.

But I'll let you Cornell students cling to that national-placement idea and the whole 'ivy-league' thing. Lol.
I don't think any Cornell law student in this thread ever mentioned Cornell being an Ivy League school as a reason why it's an objectively better school, outcome-wise, than UCLA. What a weird retort.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 am

Malarkey wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:Cornell is not a peer school with any other ivy and, regarding earlier, they place like 10 people in California per year.

So you ignored the link I posted to LawSchoolTransparency, and then runinthefront posted a massive graphic that you still managed to ignore. You're not making the case for UCLA very compelling here.
You're right- that was a little snarky of me.

OP, long story short, do your research.
In the absence of data (I'm on my phone) it comes down to two things: We have sunshine and people don't kill themselves here.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:44 am

Hey, Cornell's JD program is a lot better than Princeton's.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:48 am

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 am

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:49 am

Itiswritten wrote:
Malarkey wrote:

So you ignored the link I posted to LawSchoolTransparency, and then runinthefront posted a massive graphic that you still managed to ignore. You're not making the case for UCLA very compelling here.

In the absence of data (I'm on my phone) it comes down to two things: We have sunshine and people don't kill themselves here.
*Brilliant Cornell Admissions Officer trolling

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:58 am

Sorry but Cornell a league above UCLA when it comes to cold hard objective numbers.
The only reason to pick UCLA at equal cost is for subjective preferences.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:06 pm

And there's not anything wrong with picking UCLA if you truly want California and would be very unhappy with NYC biglaw.

Maybe if you could get $30k more from UCLA it might tip the scales a bit more.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:12 pm

Just in here to note the spicy hot takes coming from LA these days now GULC is ranked 15 along side UCLA. Just one time co-ranked with Georgetown and every baby blue Bruin thinks they are taking down Duke/Cornell/Northwestern.

And they said UT was "gettin' to big for their britches, partner".

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Itiswritten wrote:
Malarkey wrote:

**Accuses everyone of blindly defending Cornell. Blindly defends UCLA.***

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:17 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Just in here to note the spicy hot takes coming from LA these days now GULC is ranked 15 along side UCLA. Just one time co-ranked with Georgetown and every baby blue Bruin thinks they are taking down Duke/Cornell/Northwestern.

You heard it here first. UCLA jumps to 12 next year and knocks Berkeley down and pushes ivy-league imposter Cornell out of t-14
Last edited by Itiswritten on Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:19 pm

Itiswritten wrote:
ponderingmeerkat wrote:Just in here to note the spicy hot takes coming from LA these days now GULC is ranked 15 along side UCLA. Just one time co-ranked with Georgetown and every baby blue Bruin thinks they are taking down Duke/Cornell/Northwestern.

You heard it here first. UCLA jumps to 12 next year and knocks Berkeley down and pushes Cornell out of t-14
The gulf between Cornell and T14-20 is pretty big if you look at the score spread.
The T13 is pretty entrenched.

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Itiswritten wrote:

You heard it here first. UCLA jumps to 12 next year and knocks Berkeley down and pushes Cornell out of t-14
(UCLA grads continue to struggle to find employment despite being a "T14")

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:20 pm

Itiswritten wrote:

You're beautiful "Mighty Bruin". Never change. :lol:

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Rigo wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:

The gulf between Cornell and T14-20 is pretty big if you look at the score spread.
The T13 is pretty entrenched.
T-13 ivory tower we are coming for you (lol)

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:28 pm

Look we all agree that Cornell is an unprestigious garbage dump. Literally no one would dispute that.

But LOL UCLA isn't a peer of Cornell. Stop being so silly ya goose.

People can certainly choose UCLA over Cornell for any number of reasons. But they aren't peer schools.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:45 pm

BigZuck wrote:Look we all agree that Cornell is an unprestigious garbage dump. Literally no one would dispute that.

But LOL UCLA isn't a peer of Cornell. Stop being so silly ya goose.

People can certainly choose UCLA over Cornell for any number of reasons. But they aren't peer schools.
Yeah, if I didn't care about employment I would probably choose UCLA 100%, which is basically why a bunch of people choose UCLA over Cornell for UG.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”