NYU $$$ vs UPenn $$$ vs Harvard - Now with poll Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I choose?

NYU $$$ (AnnBryce)
60%
UPenn $$$ (Levy)
16%
HYS
23%

Total votes: 43

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

NYU $$$ vs UPenn $$$ vs Harvard - Now with poll

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:13 pm

Ok, so I know a billion versions of this post already exist, but I'm going to add in my specifics to see if it makes any difference.

First, some background: First person in my family to graduate from college, went to a big state school on a full ride (and I mean full) for undergrad, plus worked like three jobs all four years, so I've got some savings, extremely unlikely I'll have any familial help (single-parent, working class background).

My options at this point: I applied to a ton of schools, but at this point I'm basically deciding whether I'm going to take the Levy at UPenn, the AnnBryce at NYU (this isn't definite yet, finalist interviews are next week, but I'm assuming for the sake of comparison here), or go to HYS. I've been admitted to Harvard, but still waiting on Stanford and Yale (waitlist me already Stanford, geez). I don't really know what the financial aid is going to look like from Harvard, but its still loans.

Goals: Not sure, keeping my options open. I am fairly certain I want to end up back on the West Coast (where I grew up and where much of my family still lives), but I'd be willing to do some time elsewhere first. A clerkship immediately after law school is definitely something I'm interested in. As for longer term goals, I've given some serious thought to academia (I wrote a thesis and thoroughly enjoyed it). I do not have much interest in regular trial work, but appellate work may be in my interest area (liking research and writing is a common theme here). Due to personal experience with someone in the field, I've also developed in interest in employment discrimination or working as a Title IX coordinator for a university.

As the first person in my family to even graduate college, I'm frankly overwhelmed by my options, and my family can't really offer any meaningful help. I feel crazy for turning down a full ride, but I also feel crazy for turning down Harvard (or Yale or Stanford). The deadline for accepting Levy is April 14th, and AnnBryce would also require a quick decision turnaround so I'm rapidly devolving into madness. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Last edited by The_Pluviophile on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Re: NYU $$$ vs UPenn $$$ vs Harvard

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:16 pm

I don't have any advice but just wanted to say congratulations. That's really incredible that you're the first person in your family to graduate from college and that you have such amazing options for law school. I'm really happy for you and I'm sure you won't go wrong no matter what you decide to do, there are no bad options in that group.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Re: NYU $$$ vs UPenn $$$ vs Harvard

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:19 pm

Anon.y.mousse. wrote:I don't have any advice but just wanted to say congratulations. That's really incredible that you're the first person in your family to graduate from college and that you have such amazing options for law school. I'm really happy for you and I'm sure you won't go wrong no matter what you decide to do, there are no bad options in that group.
Thank you! Its a bit surreal to be honest. I'm certainly in no position to be complaining!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: NYU $$$ vs UPenn $$$ vs Harvard - Now with poll

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:47 pm

When do you find out about need based aid from HLS? Sounds like you'll probably eligible for quite a lot. If you get max need based aid, with your goals I think HLS is probably worth it. However, you should understand that appellate work or academia are exceedingly unlikely, even from Harvard.

If you don't get substantial need-based aid then one of the full rides is a no-brainer here.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:54 pm

Congrats on the dilemma OP.

I think it ultimately comes down to how much aid you get from HLS. I think HLS is the best match for your stated goals, but with the above caveat regarding cost.

I think Penn or NYU for free is a no-brainer too, and I'd likely lean Penn simply due to the better employment numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you all! I probably have a week or two until I hear from Harvard. I am interested in what people think of NYU vs. Penn too.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:07 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:Thank you all! I probably have a week or two until I hear from Harvard. I am interested in what people think of NYU vs. Penn too.
I think they're close enough to be considered a toss up. If you were gunning for PI then NYU would have an edge, but otherwise they're pretty even.

However, and I don't mean to be pessimistic, but you dont have the NYU full ride yet. If that Levy deadline comes around before you hear from NYU, it may be wise to take the Levy.

Edit: this is assuming you don't get max aid at one of HYS, in which case I'd lean probably that way, though zero debt is also very tempting.
Last edited by Clemenceau on Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:09 pm

If you got AnBryce I'd say take that since they go out of their way to get you a 1L SA and their program really is designed to help you succeed. If not AnBryce then it depends on how much HLS gives you really, I'd lean H but that's only because of your goals.

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:43 pm

Clemenceau wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:Thank you all! I probably have a week or two until I hear from Harvard. I am interested in what people think of NYU vs. Penn too.
I think they're close enough to be considered a toss up. If you were gunning for PI then NYU would have an edge, but otherwise they're pretty even.

However, and I don't mean to be pessimistic, but you dont have the NYU full ride yet. If that Levy deadline comes around before you hear from NYU, it may be wise to take the Levy.

Edit: this is assuming you don't get max aid at one of HYS, in which case I'd lean probably that way, though zero debt is also very tempting.
Yeah, I completely get where you're coming from, but I think I'll know before the Levy deadline comes up either way, so there's that. I'm crossing my fingers Harvard gets back to me soon... Also even with full tuition, I imagine I would still have some debt considering I'd need cost of living money, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:If you got AnBryce I'd say take that since they go out of their way to get you a 1L SA and their program really is designed to help you succeed. If not AnBryce then it depends on how much HLS gives you really, I'd lean H but that's only because of your goals.
So AnBryce over Levy (which I think makes sense considering the other things offered by that program besides money), but would you say AnBryce over H? Or are you saying between HYS you'd suggest H because of my goals? Just for clarification.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:05 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

Yeah, I completely get where you're coming from, but I think I'll know before the Levy deadline comes up either way, so there's that. I'm crossing my fingers Harvard gets back to me soon... Also even with full tuition, I imagine I would still have some debt considering I'd need cost of living money, right?
Personally, I think with your unicorn goals, COL loans at HLS are probably worth it. But again, this is assuming you get a bunch of aid.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:19 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
Baby Gaga wrote:If you got AnBryce I'd say take that since they go out of their way to get you a 1L SA and their program really is designed to help you succeed. If not AnBryce then it depends on how much HLS gives you really, I'd lean H but that's only because of your goals.
So AnBryce over Levy (which I think makes sense considering the other things offered by that program besides money), but would you say AnBryce over H? Or are you saying between HYS you'd suggest H because of my goals? Just for clarification.
I meant AnBryce over H, but if you don't get it then H (depending on aid)

nunumaster

Silver

Post by nunumaster » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm

AnBrcye is literally the best outcome you could ever get from the law school admissions game. These kids are literally having dinner with Supreme Court justices, webcam-ing with Hillary, going to the Hamptons, front row at the US open, getting 1L SA positions, etc. They have the greatest institutional support imaginable. Source: Friends. I'm insanely jealous.

Or you could go to Harvard and be 1 out of 500 regular students.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shoparoundthecorner

Bronze

Post by shoparoundthecorner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a full-ride at Harvard (same with Yale and Stanford). Even if they assess your expected contribution and parents' expected contribution to be 0, they still expect you to be willing to take out a base loan. According to the website (which seems to be using 2016-2017 numbers), the base loan is set at $48,000/year. Any need beyond that is provided in a scholarship. So, if I'm reading this correctly, there's no scenario where you'd graduate having just taken out COL loans--you'll need to take out about $150,000 in loans over three years.

Link: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... -packages/

The_Pluviophile

Bronze

Post by The_Pluviophile » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:43 pm

shoparoundthecorner wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a full-ride at Harvard (same with Yale and Stanford). Even if they assess your expected contribution and parents' expected contribution to be 0, they still expect you to be willing to take out a base loan. According to the website (which seems to be using 2016-2017 numbers), the base loan is set at $48,000/year. Any need beyond that is provided in a scholarship. So, if I'm reading this correctly, there's no scenario where you'd graduate having just taken out COL loans--you'll need to take out about $150,000 in loans over three years.

I meant COL loans for NYU or Penn (even with AnBryce or Levy), not Harvard. I completely understand that wouldn't be the case for Harvard.

shoparoundthecorner

Bronze

Post by shoparoundthecorner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:46 pm

The_Pluviophile wrote:
shoparoundthecorner wrote:
The_Pluviophile wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:

I meant COL loans for NYU or Penn (even with AnBryce or Levy), not Harvard. I completely understand that wouldn't be the case for Harvard.
Oh got it! I saw a later comment that said that COL loans at Harvard would be worth it and must have misread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”