BU (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial scholarship) ?? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
prospectivelawyer

New

BU (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial scholarship) ??

Post by prospectivelawyer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Hey guys! Finally figured out I should be posting about this in this forum :D

So my question: I was offered a full ride at Boston U, but I also got into Cornell and they offered me half of tuition. Obviously, going to Boston would be a huge relief financially, but Cornell is a T14 whereas BU isn't. (Also, I'm interested in Big Law, and from what I understand, rankings matter for that. I also plan on living/working in either New York or Philadelphia after I graduate, not Boston).
Is it worth it to give up the money at BU to go to Cornell?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: BU (full ride) vs. Cornell (partial scholarship) ??

Post by UVA2B » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:50 pm

Depends how badly you're set on NYC and Philly following law school. If you really don't want to end up in Boston, you probably shouldn't go to BU. If you'd be okay ending up in Boston and you're debt-averse though, BU is the safer choice here financially. Half tuition at Cornell is still pretty big debt that would probably bother me personally, but if you really want NYC Biglaw more than anything else, it's much more likely to get you there. Have you calculated Cost of Attendance at both schools to get real numbers for debt?

Lawschool305

Bronze

Post by Lawschool305 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:59 pm

OP I'm in the same exact boat as you, and will most likely be attending Cornell. I don't have much to add because I am not sure what is the correct choice, but I am interested to hear what people say on this thread as well.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:05 pm

Definitely Cornell if you have no interest in practicing in Boston. If you really wanted to work in Boston and didn't mind not getting biglaw, it would be different. The Cornell debt is near the limits of what I would tolerate, but I think it's worth it here.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Lavitz wrote:Definitely Cornell if you have no interest in practicing in Boston. If you really wanted to work in Boston and didn't mind not getting biglaw, it would be different. The Cornell debt is near the limits of what I would tolerate, but I think it's worth it here.
I agree with this.

Also, are you from Philadelphia?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

prospectivelawyer

New

Post by prospectivelawyer » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Thank you, guys! I'm leaning more towards Cornell, and I'm hoping to use my offer at BU to negotiate more scholarship money.

And I'm from South Jersey, about 15 min from Philly!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:47 pm

prospectivelawyer wrote:Thank you, guys! I'm leaning more towards Cornell, and I'm hoping to use my offer at BU to negotiate more scholarship money.

Philly firms care about ties, but I'll bet south South Jersey would do the trick. I would go to Cornell and spend your 1L summer in Philly + mass mail the firms there and I'd think you should be good to go.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:55 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
prospectivelawyer wrote:Thank you, guys! I'm leaning more towards Cornell, and I'm hoping to use my offer at BU to negotiate more scholarship money.

Philly firms care about ties, but I'll bet south South Jersey would do the trick. I would go to Cornell and spend your 1L summer in Philly + mass mail the firms there and I'd think you should be good to go.
+1

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:09 am

BU free is a great option if you did want to work in Boston. They also do place a good amount of grads in NYC and have an OCI program in Philly. That said, Cornell's numbers are much better for biglaw. It kinda comes down to you get a free shot at 33% biglaw or a $100,000+ shot at biglaw. Personally I would go BU because being free of debt is incredible. However, with grades being unpredictable and with you not wanting Boston biglaw at all, then Cornell might be the better option.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 pm

I'd go Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”