Columbia (Hamilton) vs. Harvard for PI/clerking Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Help me pick!

Columbia
67%
Harvard
33%

Total votes: 102

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Re: Columbia (Hamilton) vs. Harvard for PI/clerking

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Alexandros wrote: - I've gathered that it's easier to go from BL/private sector to PI than the reverse (veterans ITT - please correct me if I'm wrong)
It's actually not easy. You have to strategically position yourself from day one of law school in order to go biglaw -> PI. It's equally difficult to go from PI to biglaw and biglaw to PI.
Are you including government work in this? I thought going (biglaw litigation --> ADA or public defender) wasn't too hard.
Biglaw litigation to ADA/PD would actually be kind of unusual. To AUSA/federal PD, not really (it's competitive, but a career path that makes sense), but for state, it would be unusual. I'm not saying it would be impossible or never happens, but the longer you're in biglaw the weirder it would be. It would be weird to take a midlevel biglaw person as an entry level lawyer, and you wouldn't have enough trial experience to come in as a lateral. DA/PD's offices would also be suspicious that you really wanted to give up the biglaw salary to go work as an ADA/PD; you normally need to show commitment/dedication through experience. Also you can get ADA/PD jobs out of law school (not usually the case for AUSA/FPD) so employers would wonder why you just didn't do that.

And I agree with Nebby (to the extent that I understand this) that the people who go from biglaw --> impact lit PI tend to have been angling for a specific path. You probably *can* figure it out as you go along (because there's a lot more serendipity in career paths than TLS sometimes acknowledges), but it will make a big difference to lay a foundation early.
Very good to know. I didn't realize that years in biglaw wouldn't allow one to lateral to a higher ADA level. But why does a lateral move to a AUSA officer make any more sense? Isn't it just trial work in a different level of jurisdiction?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:12 pm

blueperiod wrote:Thanks all. I know CLS is the logical choice and I'm leaning towards it. My brain knows that but hope when I visit next month I will catch the feels for it too.

Also interesting to hear about the biglaw to PI litigation stuff. I'd do basically anything to avoid biglaw but it was seeming like maybe it was a necessary or common stepping stone to impact lit. If it's not, then that's fantastic. Just trying to learn about all of this stuff... :)
It's not necessary to go biglaw for impact lit. It's way to idiosyncratic to make any generalized statements, but it is true that there are relatively few entry level PI positions.

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:16 am

Not really sure why people in here are even discussing the possibility that OP ultimately decides to spend some time in biglaw. That contingency only lends support to taking the Hamilton (unless OP has a particularly strong aversion to NYC, but even still).

IMO the only real variable here is CLS's bad PI support. It's not just self-selection that causes CLS to have one of the lowest % of graduates going into PI. I don't think they even have an independent office of PI advising, and the very low % of graduates doing PI work (at least 9 months out) means that you'll have a far weaker alumni base to draw from. Connections matter a lot in PI. I would talk to some 2Ls and 3Ls who did not do OCI and ask them about the kind of support they've gotten (and take note that everyone will probably sugarcoat everything).

I think given OP's interest in PI, and his desire to clerk and possible interest in academia (obv. competitive but much, much easier from HLS), this is not an obvious decision, esp. if OP would get some FinAid from HLS.

TL;DR: if you wanted biglaw the Hamilton would be a no-brainer, but I'd be wary of the TLS debt-aversion groupthink given your interests

ETA: actually read the whole thread now, and see you aren't eligible for any FinAid at HLS. You should probably take the Hammy.

ETA2: LIPP really is not as good as people think. There are a few good, comprehensive threads on here about it, definitely worth a deep dive.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:33 am

oliverotis wrote:Not really sure why people in here are even discussing the possibility that OP ultimately decides to spend some time in biglaw. That contingency only lends support to taking the Hamilton (unless OP has a particularly strong aversion to NYC, but even still).

IMO the only real variable here is CLS's bad PI support. It's not just self-selection that causes CLS to have one of the lowest % of graduates going into PI. I don't think they even have an independent office of PI advising, and the very low % of graduates doing PI work (at least 9 months out) means that you'll have a far weaker alumni base to draw from. Connections matter a lot in PI. I would talk to some 2Ls and 3Ls who did not do OCI and ask them about the kind of support they've gotten (and take note that everyone will probably sugarcoat everything).

I think given OP's interest in PI, and his desire to clerk and possible interest in academia (obv. competitive but much, much easier from HLS), this is not an obvious decision, esp. if OP would get some FinAid from HLS.

TL;DR: if you wanted biglaw the Hamilton would be a no-brainer, but I'd be wary of the TLS debt-aversion groupthink given your interests

ETA: actually read the whole thread now, and see you aren't eligible for any FinAid at HLS. You should probably take the Hammy.

ETA2: LIPP really is not as good as people think. There are a few good, comprehensive threads on here about it, definitely worth a deep dive.
This is wrong, and you could've figured that out with a five second Google. Not helpful and counterproductive to go around giving advice without knowing what you're talking about.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:00 am

oliverotis wrote:Not really sure why people in here are even discussing the possibility that OP ultimately decides to spend some time in biglaw. That contingency only lends support to taking the Hamilton (unless OP has a particularly strong aversion to NYC, but even still).

Wow you know nothing about CLS. Mods really should ban 0Ls from posting on threads where someone facing a legitimately tough decision could get swayed by dumbasses like this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:40 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Alexandros wrote: - I've gathered that it's easier to go from BL/private sector to PI than the reverse (veterans ITT - please correct me if I'm wrong)
It's actually not easy. You have to strategically position yourself from day one of law school in order to go biglaw -> PI. It's equally difficult to go from PI to biglaw and biglaw to PI.
Are you including government work in this? I thought going (biglaw litigation --> ADA or public defender) wasn't too hard.
Biglaw litigation to ADA/PD would actually be kind of unusual. To AUSA/federal PD, not really (it's competitive, but a career path that makes sense), but for state, it would be unusual. I'm not saying it would be impossible or never happens, but the longer you're in biglaw the weirder it would be. It would be weird to take a midlevel biglaw person as an entry level lawyer, and you wouldn't have enough trial experience to come in as a lateral. DA/PD's offices would also be suspicious that you really wanted to give up the biglaw salary to go work as an ADA/PD; you normally need to show commitment/dedication through experience. Also you can get ADA/PD jobs out of law school (not usually the case for AUSA/FPD) so employers would wonder why you just didn't do that.

And I agree with Nebby (to the extent that I understand this) that the people who go from biglaw --> impact lit PI tend to have been angling for a specific path. You probably *can* figure it out as you go along (because there's a lot more serendipity in career paths than TLS sometimes acknowledges), but it will make a big difference to lay a foundation early.
Very good to know. I didn't realize that years in biglaw wouldn't allow one to lateral to a higher ADA level. But why does a lateral move to a AUSA officer make any more sense? Isn't it just trial work in a different level of jurisdiction?
Yes, except USAOs don't generally hire straight out of school and want people to have experience first. I can't tell you why, it's just a difference in how the two employers hire. (Also ADA and AUSA are pretty different experiences day to day, even though they're both criminal trial work.)

blueperiod

New

Post by blueperiod » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:40 am

Nebby wrote:
blueperiod wrote:Thanks all. I know CLS is the logical choice and I'm leaning towards it. My brain knows that but hope when I visit next month I will catch the feels for it too.

Also interesting to hear about the biglaw to PI litigation stuff. I'd do basically anything to avoid biglaw but it was seeming like maybe it was a necessary or common stepping stone to impact lit. If it's not, then that's fantastic. Just trying to learn about all of this stuff... :)
It's not necessary to go biglaw for impact lit. It's way to idiosyncratic to make any generalized statements, but it is true that there are relatively few entry level PI positions.
Gotcha, thanks.

From my understanding there's no CLS LRAP support for bar loans. How did you /other PI people generally cope with that? Thanks!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 am

blueperiod wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Gotcha, thanks.

From my understanding there's no CLS LRAP support for bar loans. How did you /other PI people generally cope with that? Thanks!
I lived at home while studying for the bar and pinched pennies throughout 3L to have enough left over to last the summer until I started my job. Pursuing PI takes some personal sacrifice but with proper planning it's manageable.

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Nebby wrote:

Wow you know nothing about CLS. Mods really should ban 0Ls from posting on threads where someone facing a legitimately tough decision could get swayed by dumbasses like this.
http://www.law.columbia.edu/careers/emp ... statistics

I'm pretty sure ~6.5% is lower than any of the other T6, which looks even worse when you compare clerkship percentages and factor in the relative # of people that will go into PI after clerking.

Also re: office of public interest advising, I Googled around and couldn't find anything. Prove me wrong instead of just laying on the ad hominem?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

curry1

Silver

Post by curry1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:51 pm

oliverotis wrote:
Nebby wrote:

http://www.law.columbia.edu/careers/emp ... statistics

I'm pretty sure ~6.5% is lower than any of the other T6, which looks even worse when you compare clerkship percentages and factor in the relative # of people that will go into PI after clerking.

Also re: office of public interest advising, I Googled around and couldn't find anything. Prove me wrong instead of just laying on the ad hominem?
http://www.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... e/advising

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Lol olivertits

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:05 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:11 pm

Give him a break. He's trying really hard to not look like he lacks any relevant experience to be giving information ITT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oliverotis

Bronze

Post by oliverotis » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Nebby wrote:Give him a break. He's trying really hard to not look like he lacks any relevant experience to be giving information ITT
Fair, but still none of you have even tried to refute the claim that CLS sucks for PI...again I point to the miserable employment data. Maybe it's moot for OP because obviously she should take the Hammy, but still...

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:05 pm

oliverotis wrote:Fair, but still none of you have even tried to refute the claim that CLS sucks for PI
Okay, first, let's work with the assumption that finding summer "employment" that's probably unpaid (particularly 2L summer employment) in PI/govt is basically free. At my T1, people spent their 1L and 2L summers at ACLU, DOJ, SEC, and NRDC, despite having zero ability or expectation of getting a full time offer there upon graduation.

http://www.law.columbia.edu/careers/emp ... nformation

Scroll to the bottom of this page.

Under 1L summer employment for CO15, 16, and 17, about 55% of 1Ls worked in either government or PI. An additional 15%~ worked in judicial spots.

Under 2L summer employment, for CO17, 88% went over to biglaw, and 16 and 15's numbers, I imagine, are slightly lower because biglaw hiring was rougher those years.

These aren't numbers indicative of a school that doesn't do very well in PI. These numbers are indicative of a student body who (understandably) are gunning very hard for biglaw, even after they've experienced PI/govt during 1L.

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:20 pm

OP, if you want to go to Harvard, go. Just realize that you're buying a 400k luxury good. And, in my mind, you can get a similar status boost through a cheaper luxury good, like a Corvette or dope suit.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:43 pm

OneHandedEconomist wrote:OP, if you want to go to Harvard, go. Just realize that you're buying a 400k luxury good. And, in my mind, you can get a similar status boost through a cheaper luxury good, like a Corvette or dope suit.
Columbia is a luxury good as well. As is any ivy league or fancy jd. It's all relative

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:54 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:10 pm

oliverotis wrote:
Nebby wrote:Give him a break. He's trying really hard to not look like he lacks any relevant experience to be giving information ITT
Fair, but still none of you have even tried to refute the claim that CLS sucks for PI...again I point to the miserable employment data. Maybe it's moot for OP because obviously she should take the Hammy, but still...
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=262810

OneHandedEconomist

Bronze

Post by OneHandedEconomist » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
OneHandedEconomist wrote:OP, if you want to go to Harvard, go. Just realize that you're buying a 400k luxury good. And, in my mind, you can get a similar status boost through a cheaper luxury good, like a Corvette or dope suit.
Columbia is a luxury good as well. As is any ivy league or fancy jd. It's all relative
Yeah, buy it's free. I wouldn't tell someone to turn down a free corvette. I would tell them to turn down an expensive one with a high interest rate.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:20 pm

oliverotis wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:10 pm

I turned down less money than you have at CLS for H and already question the decision less than a year into law school. Take the money.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:19 pm

This thread makes me feel bad about scoring below a 170.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:54 pm

Hildegard15 wrote:I turned down less money than you have at CLS for H and already question the decision less than a year into law school. Take the money.
This is kinda strange but I was perusing LSN today and remember your profile, because we have very similar numbers. Do you wish you'd taken Columbia, Chicago, or Michigan? I'd love the perspective, because I *hope* to end up in your position.

Hildegard15

Gold

Post by Hildegard15 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:08 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
This is kinda strange but I was perusing LSN today and remember your profile, because we have very similar numbers. Do you wish you'd taken Columbia, Chicago, or Michigan? I'd love the perspective, because I *hope* to end up in your position.
Columbia. Michigan wasn't in my final four. For me it came down to H, Columbia, Chicago, and Cornell. I absolutely loved Columbia when I visited, and I had a ton of ties to Cornell/Ithaca so I ended up eliminating Chicago even though I didn't get to visit.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”