Harvard v Chicago ($$) v Duke ($$$) v UT ($$$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

H
47%
Chi
28%
Duke
24%
UT
No votes
Reapply
2%

Total votes: 58

carlos_danger

Bronze

Re: Harvard v Chicago ($$) v Duke ($$$) v UT ($$$$)

Post by carlos_danger » Wed May 24, 2017 9:22 pm

In case anyone is wondering: NYU offered me that 104/120 scholarship they do, Duke offered me 135k after negotiation, and Chicago bumped up their offer to 105k.

This might be crazy but I ended up taking Duke. I visited Chicago's admitted students weekend and hated it. Got a super intense vibe from the students and the faculty, and the administrators kept insisting that "we're a fun school!" in a way that was entirely unconvincing.

I'm from the south, interested in moving to DC or back to Texas after graduating, and really liked what I heard about Durham quality of life. Plus I know chances are I'll end up in biglaw and I think paying off my loans a year earlier will make a material difference in my career trajectory down the line.

I think I drew some short straws this cycle in terms of timing of aid offers and amount of aid offered, but 75% off at a T14 is something I can live with.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed May 24, 2017 9:28 pm

Congrats! You will love duke!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:07 am

Last edited by chargers21 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

VeiledProtectorate

New

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Thu May 25, 2017 2:05 am

carlos_danger wrote:In case anyone is wondering: NYU offered me that 104/120 scholarship they do, Duke offered me 135k after negotiation, and Chicago bumped up their offer to 105k.

This might be crazy but I ended up taking Duke. I visited Chicago's admitted students weekend and hated it. Got a super intense vibe from the students and the faculty, and the administrators kept insisting that "we're a fun school!" in a way that was entirely unconvincing.

I'm from the south, interested in moving to DC or back to Texas after graduating, and really liked what I heard about Durham quality of life. Plus I know chances are I'll end up in biglaw and I think paying off my loans a year earlier will make a material difference in my career trajectory down the line.

I think I drew some short straws this cycle in terms of timing of aid offers and amount of aid offered, but 75% off at a T14 is something I can live with.
Don't think it's crazy at all. If you were DC-or-bust or fedgov-or-bust you could make an argument for Chicago at 30k more but you don't seem to be either. If you'd be happy with Texas biglaw Duke is the right answer. I certainly don't think you had a cycle poor enough to wait a year, unless you were thinking of doing that for some other reason. Probably just a mix of bad YP luck and some meh softs.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 25, 2017 3:22 pm

I think Duke is a fine choice. I likely would have done Chicago in this matchup, but people exaggerate the differences between these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”