Harvard vs. Stanford - PI Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
kiwi50

Bronze

Harvard vs. Stanford - PI

Post by kiwi50 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Hi everyone! I'm strangely in a position where I'm choosing between HLS and SLS. Honestly, I thought I'd go to either in a heartbeat, and now, I've gotten into both. My interests are in public interest/ international law. I also have a boyfriend (and lots of friends) in Boston since I currently live here, so I'm strongly leaning toward HLS. However, I know SLS is an amazing school, and people on this forum generally seem to be more inclined towards SLS due to its small class size, general happiness factor, and many other intangibles. Considering my specific situation, however, and my career interests, does choosing HLS make sense? Would be curious to hear your thoughts!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: Harvard vs. Stanford - PI

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Definitely Harvard if you like Boston better.

kiwi50

Bronze

Post by kiwi50 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks for the response! I guess it doesn't make much of a difference, does it? Both schools are great.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:08 am

kiwi50 wrote:Thanks for the response! I guess it doesn't make much of a difference, does it? Both schools are great.
Yep! In your case, I would submit my HLS deposit without any hesitation. What's better than going to a fantastic law school and getting to be in the same town with the bf and friends? I can't really think of anything.

dirac

New

Post by dirac » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 am

kiwi50 wrote:Hi everyone! I'm strangely in a position where I'm choosing between HLS and SLS. Honestly, I thought I'd go to either in a heartbeat, and now, I've gotten into both. My interests are in public interest/ international law. I also have a boyfriend (and lots of friends) in Boston since I currently live here, so I'm strongly leaning toward HLS. However, I know SLS is an amazing school, and people on this forum generally seem to be more inclined towards SLS due to its small class size, general happiness factor, and many other intangibles. Considering my specific situation, however, and my career interests, does choosing HLS make sense? Would be curious to hear your thoughts!
Both are great schools. Congratulations! You would love both and have a wonderful career whichever school you choose. As to TLS's feeling towards Harvard, as a Patriots fan (I assume you are), you would have a much easier time understanding why. Based on your situation, Harvard no brainer.
Last edited by dirac on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 am

This is likely to be an easy decision for Harvard, so long as need-based aid makes price similar for both schools. I would probably even pay slightly more for Harvard in your case, but not by much.

Congrats, you have great options in front of you.

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I was in the exact same position as you--same interests, liked Boston, had a network there (except the boyfriend thing)--and picked SLS. I couldn't be happier with my decision. PM me if you want to talk further.

kiwi50

Bronze

Post by kiwi50 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:44 am

This was incredibly helpful you guys. Not 100 percent sure just yet (still making a list of pros and cons), but I think I'm going to choose Harvard!

Nacho_Verde

New

Post by Nacho_Verde » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:07 pm

Have you gone to the admitted students weekends?

I know SLS is in mid April, so I would wait until then.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

T3TON

New

Post by T3TON » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:15 pm

Nacho_Verde wrote:Have you gone to the admitted students weekends?

I know SLS is in mid April, so I would wait until then.
This is good advice. The two schools feel very different and you should see which environment you enjoy more. You cant go wrong with either. I was in your position and chose Stanford. Im very glad I did but I think I would have been fine at Harvard too. PM me if you have any questions.

cannonballer

Bronze

Post by cannonballer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:10 am

I was in a very similar situation and chose HLS, I'm starting in the fall but I know it was the right choice for me for a variety of personal reasons. If you make the best choice based on your own personal reasons I don't think you can go wrong in this case.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”