Duke vs Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Gigi225

New

Duke vs Cornell

Post by Gigi225 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Hi all,
I've narrowed my acceptances Duke and Cornell and am having trouble making a decision. I'm not quite sure what area of law I want to practice yet (though right now I am leaning towards International law) but I do know that I'm not particularly interested in either a really big New York firm or working anywhere south of D.C. I've gotten comparable scholarships from both schools so the money is not really factoring into my decision. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: Duke vs Cornell

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Gigi225 wrote:Hi all,
I've narrowed my acceptances Duke and Cornell and am having trouble making a decision. I'm not quite sure what area of law I want to practice yet (though right now I am leaning towards International law) but I do know that I'm not particularly interested in either a really big New York firm or working anywhere south of D.C. I've gotten comparable scholarships from both schools so the money is not really factoring into my decision. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated
Generally speaking, I would just pick the cheaper of the two, because they are peer schools.

Geographically, there aren't really any sizable legal markets between NY and DC except maybe Delaware? Also, where are you from, because that matters if you're interested in secondary markets?

Also what do you mean by international law?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:13 pm

What is the price tag for each?

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:01 am

are you okay with brutal ithaca winters that last november to april? if so i'd say you can't go wrong with either school, but the climate can have a big effect on people.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:23 am

baseballfan660 wrote:
are you okay with brutal ithaca winters that last november to april? if so i'd say you can't go wrong with either school, but the climate can have a big effect on people.
Duke is also going to have a lower COL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

baseballfan660

Bronze

Post by baseballfan660 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:27 am

proteinshake wrote:
baseballfan660 wrote:
Duke is also going to have a lower COL.
Cornell can be pretty cheap also! Live maybe 20 minutes of driving distance away from the campus and you would think you're in rural north Carolina except with more snow and ice. I assume if you live right next to duke it is similar to living right by Cornell and thus the rent will be higher right by the school.

AnMzungu

Bronze

Post by AnMzungu » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:55 am

I assume if you live right next to duke it is similar to living right by Cornell and thus the rent will be higher right by the school.
Sad. Wrong.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:18 am

baseballfan660 wrote: Cornell can be pretty cheap also! Live maybe 20 minutes of driving distance away from the campus and you would think you're in rural north Carolina except with more snow and ice. I assume if you live right next to duke it is similar to living right by Cornell and thus the rent will be higher right by the school.
Maybe 1-5 law students, tops, live more than a ten minute drive away from Cornell's campus. I also don't think anyone at Cornell would suggest living that far away, as it truly is the middle of nowhere. I would guess that over 90% of the student body live within a twenty-minute walk/ten-minute drive from campus.

OP, the cost of living in Durham is much cheaper than the cost of living in Ithaca. I also think there are probably more things to do in Durham. That being said, I attend Cornell and don't think I would've enjoyed being at any other school more than I've enjoyed my time here. No regrets from me.

If you don't want to go to a big New York firm and don't wan't to live South of D.C., you'll probably end up targeting public interest work in D.C. (I can only assume that's what you mean by "international law"). If that's the case, I'd lean Duke, as the school feeds more students to D.C. than Cornell, even if a large part of that is due to self selection. But assuming the total cost of attendance are within a few thousand dollars of each other, I would probably just visit both schools and see which one I liked more.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GOODWORKSTE

New

Post by GOODWORKSTE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:49 am

Duke

bokampers

New

Post by bokampers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:14 am

Datapoint for OP; I pay $907 for two bedroom apartment that is a 7 minute car ride from Duke. The apartment is not huge (900 sq ft), but is enough.

Most people here (if no roommates) pay $750-825ish for a solid one bedroom that is less than 10minutes away. Some spring for the luxury apts that are closer (like 5mins) which cost like $1100-1300 for a super nice 1br

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”