BU ($$$) vs BC ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ls_2020

New

BU ($$$) vs BC ($$$)

Post by ls_2020 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:07 pm

I've gotten full tuition scholarships at both BU and BC. I intend to be in the Northeast longterm, and have a significant other working in Boston already. I've visited both schools and honestly really like them each in their own way. I'm just curious of what people think is the better option, when COA is entirely equal. I know that outcomes tend to be pretty comparable between the two schools, but I'm hoping that someone can help sway me in one direction or the other because I'm currently at a loss tbh. Thanks!!!
Last edited by ls_2020 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Milksteak

New

Re: BU ($$$) vs BC ($$$)

Post by Milksteak » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 pm

https://www.lstreports.com/compare/bc/bu/

Looks like BC has slightly better numbers for biglaw and clerking and anecdotally (I'm from MA) I have heard BC has a better reputation among boomers. BU you get to go to school in the city, close to Fenway and the Paradise, can probably find a cheap room in a house in Allston. BC you're all the way out in Newton. Usually not how to pick a law school, but in your case maybe worth considering.

ls_2020

New

Post by ls_2020 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:28 pm

That's definitely helpful, thanks. As far as housing, I've already signed a lease in Allston. BU commute is ~20 minutes, while BC is ~30 (green line + law school shuttle), so that isn't make or break.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:11 pm

I'd go BC probably if you don't have vibe/location preferences just because of the slightly better prestigious employment outcomes.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:38 pm

First, congrats, either option with the goal of Boston Biglaw is fantastic. I think a lot of this decision for you will might down to what firms you want to work at in Boston. According to both CSO/CDOs this is the main distinction in employment data. Both schools have firms that they tend to feed into and you can figure this out simply by going online and looking at the partner/associate composition of each big firm. It's not a huge difference as you can tell from looking at the profiles, but you kind of have to pick on little things I guess.

FWIW BU does make attending firm networking events easier. From my experience the networking events that occur downtown tend to be full of BU/Suffolk students because BC/Harvard simply just take too long to commute from class during 1L second semester. That said BC does a lot of on-campus networking as does BU, so its not really a big consideration either way.

ETA: the other things you might look at are journal/clinic offerings if either interests you. And then whether or not you want to put up with undergrads around you. BC is in its own world from the undergrads, but BU has undergrads in the library until finals time. Though the benefits of being so close are proximity to things like the student union, the castle, and much easier T access.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

atikhomi

New

Post by atikhomi » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Hey, I just wanted to ask you what your stats were. I got a good bit of aid from both of those schools, but I am wondering if I can squeeze a full ride out of at least BC. I am 170/3.61.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:00 pm

Congrats on being in this situation. Since BC has the better employment numbers as of now, I'd probably just end up going there if I were you. You really can't make a wrong decision however. I think you should just try to spend a little more time in the areas around each school and get a feel for neighborhoods/costs of living/etc.

For what it's worth (hint: nothing), if you went to a small school with no sports, BC would be cool because then you'd have D1 sports.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Why I think BC wins vs. BU:

http://www.bc.edu/content/dam/bc1/schoo ... _bclaw.pdf
https://www.bu.edu/law/files/2016/05/Em ... 5.9.16.pdf

BC has a better full time/bar passage required rate. 77.32% vs 75.48% (admittedly small difference)
BC has a better biglaw/fed clerk rate: 41.29% vs. 34.61%
BC placed more graduates in Massachusetts both in number and as a percentage of the class: 127 in MA/247 total, 51.4% vs. 105 in MA/208 total, 50.4%
BU had more law school funded positions (i.e. means school paid for their jobs, less is better): 5 at BC vs. 17 at BU

mke88

New

Post by mke88 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:10 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”