PI Decision Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ObviousAlt_

New

PI Decision

Post by ObviousAlt_ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:50 pm

161, 3.75. 2 years work exp. in a DA's office. Hope to return with a JD, so there will be a job for me here. I don't see myself ever doing BigLaw.
3 takes on the LSAT, not interested in retaking it because high test day anxiety just won't go away, so I've resigned to that.

In at: Mostly considering Fordham (60k), Dozo (full/no stips) with GW (30k), Temple (90k), Northeastern (full) as distant considerations
Waitlisted at: BU, BC
Waiting for: NU (most likely a ding tho lulz), GULC

I've estimated COL for NYC to be ~ 60k for all three years. I'd be keeping my apartment.

I would ride the LRAP train post graduation.

It seems like Dozo is a no brainer here, but I'm trapped in the classic internal "prestige" and exit options struggle.

I was thinking of trying to use Fordham as leverage to negotiate with GW, and then use Dozo and GW to negotiate with Fordham, although I doubt they'll play ball with negotiations. Getting nervous because deposit deadlines are coming up.

Thanks for all the help and direction.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: PI Decision

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:52 pm

is the DA's office in NY that you are planning on returning to?

ObviousAlt_

New

Post by ObviousAlt_ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Yeah, I plan on returning to NY.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

When you say "there will be a job for me here", do you mean that someone with hiring power at the DA's office has promised you a spot upon graduation?

But assuming you want to work in NYC, Cardozo is the best choice of what you have. Just be careful about the "LRAP train", because I'm betting that Cardozo's LRAP is entirely dependent on PSLF. And given how in flux everything seems to be with the current administration, you can't bank everything on a PSLF-based LRAP program.

That said, $60k debt would be manageable on a government salary.

ObviousAlt_

New

Post by ObviousAlt_ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Well with the election coming up, it's not clear how different and reshuffled the office will be in 3 years. Generally former employees have an easier time coming back, and I would likely try to secure a summer internship my 2L year. I guess in the event that this doesn't happen, does it matter if I intern at a different agency? I know generally bids happen 2L summer, and most of the interns I've met who applied have gotten offers from the office, but not every ADA here has interned. I still haven't told my current boss I'm leaving, and my former boss would definitely vouch for me if I apply to come back (she's on the hiring committee).

ETA: By election, I mean the election for the DA is coming up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ObviousAlt_

New

Post by ObviousAlt_ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:06 pm

I also don't know if this is relevant or helpful, but though I got a permit in UG, I never got a licence, so I cannot drive.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:12 pm

The competition for the NYDA office is intense. I wouldn't feel comfortable assuming I'll have a job upon graduation.
Last edited by zot1 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ObviousAlt_

New

Post by ObviousAlt_ » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:06 pm

How likely would it be to make a move from an ADA to an AUSA with a Dozo degree? I'm under the impression that it's more experience based to crack it into PI - can someone shed some light on this as a potential career path? The only attorneys I know of in my immediate circle that are doing that career track are T14 alums. Thanks.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:29 am

ObviousAlt_ wrote:How likely would it be to make a move from an ADA to an AUSA with a Dozo degree? I'm under the impression that it's more experience based to crack it into PI - can someone shed some light on this as a potential career path? The only attorneys I know of in my immediate circle that are doing that career track are T14 alums. Thanks.
That career track is already pretty rare if you're talking about NYDA to SDNY/EDNY. Most of those AUSAs come from biglaw and clerking.

And as much as government is PI (regardless of what some people say), a lot of the more competitive federal government jobs don't hire the same way that NGOs do. If your ultimate goal is federal work in a competitive office, then a Cardozo degree won't do you any favors.

mikachu

New

Post by mikachu » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:44 pm

GW would give you the best PI options imo

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”