Duke vs Northwestern Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
brightyside

New

Duke vs Northwestern

Post by brightyside » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:27 am

Hi,

I would appreciate any comments or advice on choosing between Duke and Northwestern.
I'm still waiting on the Scholarship package so lets say the cost is equal for now.

Looking to get into Big Law Firms in either NY or Chicago.
It seems like NU places mostly in Chicago but has decent placement into NY law firms too.
However, it seems Duke's Chicago presence is almost non-existent but places well in NY and DC.

Any comments are appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: Duke vs Northwestern

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 am

If you think you'd prefer to work in Chicago, then Northwestern would be the better choice, all other things being equal. But the real answer is whichever one offers you the most money.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:38 am

Just follow the money. If you want a crack at Chicago, I'd lean Northwestern.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:51 am

Rigo wrote: If you want a crack at Chicago
That is to say, Chicago is reputably much harder to break into without ties than NYC and DC. If you want Chicago and aren't from Chicago, NU >>> Duke. Money trumps all here, though, and you should follow it.

brightyside

New

Post by brightyside » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 pm

guybourdin wrote:If you want Chicago and aren't from Chicago, NU >>> Duke. Money trumps all here, though, and you should follow it.
Thanks for the replies guys.

If I have ties to Chicago (Undergrad in Chicago, Worked 2 years in Chicago before Law school), do you think I can crack Chicago from Duke?

Thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:52 pm

brightyside wrote:
guybourdin wrote:If you want Chicago and aren't from Chicago, NU >>> Duke. Money trumps all here, though, and you should follow it.

If I have ties to Chicago (Undergrad in Chicago, Worked 2 years in Chicago before Law school), do you think I can crack Chicago from Duke?

Thanks
Yes.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Post by Chrstgtr » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:09 pm

brightyside wrote:

Thanks
Possible. But look at what firms interview at Duke's OCI. My guess is very few Chicago firms interview there, so you will have DRAMATICALLY fewer opportunities to crack into the Chicago market. Generally, I would choose whoever gives you the most money if it is a signifigant amount more than the other. Otherwise, go to NU if care about getting Chicago

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Chrstgtr wrote:
brightyside wrote:

Thanks
Possible. But look at what firms interview at Duke's OCI. My guess is very few Chicago firms interview there, so you will have DRAMATICALLY fewer opportunities to crack into the Chicago market. Generally, I would choose whoever gives you the most money if it is a signifigant amount more than the other. Otherwise, go to NU if care about getting Chicago
At least at Penn we have some Chicago firms at OCI along with a specific Chicago interview program, and I'd assume Duke has something similar. Also, I'd think spending 1L summer in Chicago + mass mailing would be very effective if you have strong ties.

I definitely lean NU here, but if there's any kind of serious cost difference I think Duke is probably the play.

Edit: Which I now realize is basically what you said anyway.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Rigo wrote:Just follow the money. If you want a crack at Chicago, I'd lean Northwestern.
Yup. I think you could get Chicago from Duke, but most people at Duke don't seek it out. Take the bigger scholarship, and let NU's location be the tiebreaker.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Duke did have a bunch of chicago firms at OCI and I know a few going back there with biglaw gigs lined up. I believe none of them had a hard time getting gigs there, but all had some ties before.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”