Final Question: Pick my school Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which LS? Read the post for more info/scholarships/goals

PSU-Dickinson (65)
49%
Penn State Law (82)
9%
Temple (53)
14%
Drexel (112)
19%
Rutgers (62)
8%

Total votes: 77

chelssd3232

New

Re: Final Question: Pick my school

Post by chelssd3232 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm

bmathers wrote:
chelssd3232 wrote:I'm in a similar boat, and one thing that has been reiterated to me by many people is not to rule out Drexel because of their newness. I'm still not decided, but I went to their Admitted Students Weekend and was impressed. If you're interested in being a trial attorney, Drexel and Temple will probably have the best programs out of your list of schools.
I went to their ASW and was not really impressed. The dean was really, really unimpressive and the building was horrible - two things I can overlook, though (I have visited around 6 schools, to compare the dean and building impressed me the least out of all of them). They boasted (a bit nauseatingly) about their trial advocacy success, that was their primary pitch -- every school has some rankings and competition that they do well in, Dickinson boasts (actually, not even mentioned at the ASW) of being ranked top 5 for trial advocacy and doing well in competitions. If that is all a school has, they will boast about it, over-the-top, at ASD -- case-in-point with Drexel.

I mean, Drexel is taken seriously by Philly firms, even with their newness. There is some good with the school, but I feel that it was not reall shown at ASW, it could have used more planning, I think.
I totally understand all of those critiques, my state of impression mostly came from the low expectations I had coming into the ASW. I am also mostly interested in trial law, so I was more happy to hear that. It was also my only ASW that I've attended, to give some context.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 pm

One thing that's pretty enticing about Drexel is the male:female ratio. It is the only school that I'm considering that actually has more girls attending than guys. It has nothing to do with the academics, but it's a nice little side perk, lol

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:05 pm

bmathers wrote:One thing that's pretty enticing about Drexel is the male:female ratio. It is the only school that I'm considering that actually has more girls attending than guys. It has nothing to do with the academics, but it's a nice little side perk, lol
More competition in Philly as a whole though.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Rigo wrote:
bmathers wrote:One thing that's pretty enticing about Drexel is the male:female ratio. It is the only school that I'm considering that actually has more girls attending than guys. It has nothing to do with the academics, but it's a nice little side perk, lol
More competition in Philly as a whole though.
In my brief, 1 time observation, Drexel did have more attractive girls; but that could have also been because there were 2x-3x more of them.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 pm

Rutgers got back to me today, offering only $14k/yr (I'm OOS) - that's not a worthy starting point for negotiations, so I'll just withdraw from them. I'm in Carlisle as we speak, giving the place a second look, and meeting with the assist. dean of admissions tomorrow about career prospects and regions (she is from Pepper in Philly), It was hard to turn-down Penn State Law (Univ Park), for nostalgic reasons (UG at PSU), but I have mentally withdrew. Drexel is fantastic, if you want to be trial attorney, but I don't think that is necessarily my skill set, so I'm leaning heavy on Dickinson (not that it REALLY matters, but their law facilities are really top-notch, absolutely beautiful).

The only things that could potentially steal me is if Pitt ups to full-tuition scholly when I visit in two weekends (not likely), or if Temple offers me at least a 1/2 ship (10-12k/yr) off the waitlist (not likely - but if you are a Temple adcomm, you heard me).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:59 pm

I submitted my deposit to Dickinson today, fyi!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:00 pm

bmathers wrote:I submitted my deposit to Dickinson today, fyi!
Congrats!

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:02 pm

You've come a long way from the kid who made the lazy river comment about Akron Law...

Congrats, best of luck in Carlisle.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

Ronan wrote:
You've come a long way from the kid who made the lazy river comment about Akron Law...

Congrats, best of luck in Carlisle.
Haha, I'll forever be linked to Akron (which, fwiw, I caught 6 Akron hoops games on TV this year -- they are a fun mid-major to watch). What really put the icing on the cake at Dickinson was seeing their gym, though - totally state-of-the-art, built 2 years ago. Although, no lazy river and their climbing wall is not quite as big as the Akron wall... probably pales in comparison to Trump's wall too

Also, thank you. It'll be a new adventure

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:32 am

New scenario:. Pitt just upped their offer, so it would cost $4500/yr to attend, and they​ removed all conditions to renew.

My goal is to work in a city in PA. Pittsburgh, Philly, or I would be fine with Harrisburg as a fall back.

Is Dickinson still the smart choice with their offer?

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:37 am

bmathers wrote:New scenario:. Pitt just upped their offer, so it would cost $4500/yr to attend, and they​ removed all conditions to renew.

My goal is to work in a city in PA. Pittsburgh, Philly, or I would be fine with Harrisburg as a fall back.

Probably.

If Drexel for free didn't sway you when you want to work in Philly, Pitt for anything less than free shouldn't move the needle.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:59 am

Ronan wrote:
bmathers wrote:New scenario:. Pitt just upped their offer, so it would cost $4500/yr to attend, and they​ removed all conditions to renew.

Probably.

If Drexel for free didn't sway you when you want to work in Philly, Pitt for anything less than free shouldn't move the needle.
Yes, agreed, but Pittsburgh is a very cool and happening city to be in right now. One thing that is a fairly big turnoff is that there isn't much else to do in Carlisle besides drinking/microbreweries. Pittsburgh offers allot more in that regard

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:32 am

bmathers wrote:
Ronan wrote:

Probably.

Yes, agreed, but Pittsburgh is a very cool and happening city to be in right now. One thing that is a fairly big turnoff is that there isn't much else to do in Carlisle besides drinking/microbreweries. Pittsburgh offers allot more in that regard
Yeah quality of life is going to be better in either Philly or Pittsburgh than in Carlisle.

Look, If you want to be in Pittsburgh, go to Pitt. If you want to be in Philly, go to a Philly school. Dickinson will get you midstate PA, and the very top of the class will get looks at Pitt and Philly. If you aren't comfortable with central PA being your primary market, then don't go to Dickinson.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:36 am

bmathers wrote:
Ronan wrote:

Probably.

I love Pittsburgh. It's so great. I think you will appreciate the savings at Dickinson, though. $30k+ right? Although I guess we are talking about where you will spend the next two​ decades​ or so, so maybe worth it? I'd probably vote Dickinson here

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

guybourdin wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Ronan wrote:

Probably.

I love Pittsburgh. It's so great. I think you will appreciate the savings at Dickinson, though. $30k+ right? Although I guess we are talking about where you will spend the next two​ decades​ or so, so maybe worth it? I'd probably vote Dickinson here
Yes, all-in-all, $30k difference before interest ($5k/yr tuition, $5k/yr stipend). I grew up in northcentral PA, so I know that I can tolerate it, but will be gunning for city placement from Dickinson .

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”