QU v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lymenheimer

Gold

Re: UCONN v Cardozo(Ferrisjso's decision)

Post by lymenheimer » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:51 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Listen, I was super impressed by QU this weekend as well. They pulled out all the stops for us BUT that was all to dupe us into thinking they were the best law school. Notice how they didnt once mention anything about employment? Most of the kids I talked to even told me that they're not considering practicing once they graduate b/c they didn't think they had a shot at an OCI and w/o that a job wouldn't come. The really successful alumni that were there both ranked #1 and #2 in their class.

Also, super random but were you the 'guy from NY who started talking to the dean about strip clubs'? Sorry...it was just a rumor I heard and wanted to know if it was true haha
Nooo! That was a terrible misunderstanding! They were talking about cooking or something like that and I was like my dad works at a chef at one of NYC's "gentleman clubs"( which is not a strip club, its probably as far as you can get from something being a strip club) and they all started laughing and were like "doesnt that mean a strip club?" I was like no of course not but I guess they thought I was lying.
just, in the future, "gentlemen's club" has been appropriated and it now means strip club. say it by name (only suggest this because I know people who work at a nice one and they just refer to it by name - people know what they are talking about) or call it a private club. Calling it a gentlemen's club means, yes, you are the person from new york who was talking to the dean about strip clubs, even if you didn't intend to.

also, this thread really is something...
"Did you call the dean a ******?"
"No! '*******' is a term of endearment where I come from, back in the day. It's just been used poorly as of late. But I meant the original term, although it has plenty of synonyms in modern parlance."

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Stylnator wrote:Listen, I was super impressed by QU this weekend as well. They pulled out all the stops for us BUT that was all to dupe us into thinking they were the best law school. Notice how they didnt once mention anything about employment? Most of the kids I talked to even told me that they're not considering practicing once they graduate b/c they didn't think they had a shot at an OCI and w/o that a job wouldn't come. The really successful alumni that were there both ranked #1 and #2 in their class.

Also, super random but were you the 'guy from NY who started talking to the dean about strip clubs'? Sorry...it was just a rumor I heard and wanted to know if it was true haha
You were the girl who asked about JD advantage
who made the admissions lady get all defensive werent you? Odviously they overstated how good the employment oppurtunities are but theyre also not as bad as some on here make them out to be.
No that wasn't me, but props to her for having the guts to ask. I was too intimidated all weekend to even bring up jobs but I really wish I had just so I could hear what the response from admissions would be.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Stylnator wrote: No that wasn't me, but props to her for having the guts to ask. I was too intimidated all weekend to even bring up jobs but I really wish I had just so I could hear what the response from admissions would be.
I guarantee you that the words "self-starter" and "initiative" would have been used more than once. That's standard code for, "Our career services office can't actually find enough jobs for our graduating class, so we're going to blame the students for our failure as an institution."

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:

Nooo! That was a terrible misunderstanding! They were talking about cooking or something like that and I was like my dad works at a chef at one of NYC's "gentleman clubs"( which is not a strip club, its probably as far as you can get from something being a strip club) and they all started laughing and were like "doesnt that mean a strip club?" I was like no of course not but I guess they thought I was lying.
lolol :lol: 8)

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:28 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Stylnator wrote: No that wasn't me, but props to her for having the guts to ask. I was too intimidated all weekend to even bring up jobs but I really wish I had just so I could hear what the response from admissions would be.
I guarantee you that the words "self-starter" and "initiative" would have been used more than once. That's standard code for, "Our career services office can't actually find enough jobs for our graduating class, so we're going to blame the students for our failure as an institution."
They actually werent:)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:Odviously they overstated how good the employment oppurtunities are but theyre also not as bad as some on here make them out to be.
Maybe this has already been answered but I can't really muster the effort to scour through this doomthread--why on god's green earth do you have to go to law school next year again?

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:36 pm

beforethelaw wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:Odviously they overstated how good the employment oppurtunities are but theyre also not as bad as some on here make them out to be.
Maybe this has already been answered but I can't really muster the effort to scour through this doomthread--why on god's green earth do you have to go to law school next year again?
Why do I need to take off again(I know your answer and it doesn't make sense for my situation)? If I don't go next year I'm not going, I'm someone who goes from one thing to next, graduating when I'm 25 is bad enough there's no way I'm going to wait until I'm older. I've planned this for 3 years. I'm also going to try to use the law school as a vehicle to move from an environment. Again, mind boggling how people talk about retake and waiting a year off(with the cringeworthy work and enjoy life in the environment you're trying to escape advice).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:39 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
Why do I need to take off again(I know your answer and it doesn't make sense for my situation)? If I don't go next year I'm not going, I'm someone who goes from one thing to next, graduating when I'm 25 is bad enough there's no way I'm going to wait until I'm older. I've planned this for 3 years. I'm also going to try to use the law school as a vehicle to move from an environment. Again, mind boggling how people talk about retake and waiting a year off(with the cringeworthy work and enjoy life in the environment you're trying to escape advice).
In other words, you reeeeally want to go next year. Your options are bad and your goals are unrealistic. You need to take time to think about stuff.

Or, this time next year when you realize that you took out over 40K in loans to attend a school that probably won't get you the job you want, make sure to come back and try to warn the next Ferris from your fate. He or she probably won't listen though.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:47 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
Why not move to small town Virginia and work there for a year? It lets you escape, lets you explore a desired region, and helps you build some much-needed life experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
Dude if you don't have the commitment, fortitude, and desire to wait a year... what's it gonna be like when you're 200k in the hole, working 60 hour weeks for 60k a year doing something you hate? You can't live life on a whim like this. If you think that waiting a year would make you not want to be lawyer, I don't think you want to be a lawyer badly enough. You don't need to stay where you are. You actually should look into teaching english abroad. I have a lot of friends who'e done it and they have a blast. It's really easy to get a job, and you will have enough free time to revisit this lsat thing.

Edit 1- There are plenty of ways to get out of the environment you're currently in. You'll be stuck WAY worse if you attend QU or UCONN.

Edit 2- And another thing. This whole "I've planned this 3 years" thing is sunk-cost fallacy. Who cares? Your planning didn't work out up to this point, so either cut your losses or double down another year.
Last edited by beforethelaw on Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:59 pm

A hearing before the Subcommittee of Destructive Life Decisions in Law (SDLDL) will be convened shortly following deposit deadlines for UCONN to determine ferrisjso's eligibility for cage status. At that point, resolutions will be considered to contain this particular brand of objectively horrible reason and logic.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
Why not move to small town Virginia and work there for a year? It lets you escape, lets you explore a desired region, and helps you build some much-needed life experience.
And what's more: Virginia is one of only two states that has a statewide election this year! Go get involved in politics!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:45 pm

Come on Ferris. After all the great things you were talking about in the Cooley Law c/o 2020 thread and how you seemed to realize how some schools just aren't worth going to, i checked back here excited to watch you figure out your situation....and I instantly regret looking. :/

Not sure why you went from UConn vs. Dozo to "omg QU is great"....You seem to love scavenging the TTTTs just for shits and giggles :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:46 pm

Rigo wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
And what's more: Virginia is one of only two states that has a statewide election this year! Go get involved in politics!
Logistically moving to a state without law school wouldn't be possible for me. Living off of a political salary I probably won't even have will not be possible(and call me stubborn I do refuse to do non political/legal work). Still I appreciate you two giving me actual advice instead of the usual and I would be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind or that it doesn't sound fun(you know minus the work part. Also while I want to run for office I do not really want to work in politics(I mean I'm open to it and all and I don't hate it, but most positions aren't paid) anymore as far as jobs go, law is more appealing as a backup plan to holding office). There's also the whole "not being able to drive situation". Do not believe it will work. Believe you two mean well and I take serious advice seriously(unlike the vanilla "you don't know what you're doing nor what you want, take a year off" which so many posters are subjected to) so the thought will stay in my mind, but there would be a whole lot of obstacles to that.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
Logistically moving to a state without law school wouldn't be possible for me. Living off of a political salary I probably won't even have will not be possible(and call me stubborn I do refuse to do non political/legal work). Still I appreciate you two giving me actual advice instead of the usual and I would be lying if I said the thought hadn't crossed my mind or that it doesn't sound fun(you know minus the work part. Also while I want to run for office I do not really want to work in politics(I mean I'm open to it and all and I don't hate it, but most positions aren't paid) anymore as far as jobs go, law is more appealing as a backup plan to holding office). There's also the whole "not being able to drive situation". Do not believe it will work. Believe you two mean well and I take serious advice seriously(unlike the vanilla "you don't know what you're doing nor what you want, take a year off" which so many posters are subjected to) so the thought will stay in my mind, but there would be a whole lot of obstacles to that.
This thread should be a very comfortable space for you. Because you don't belong anywhere else.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Come on Ferris. After all the great things you were talking about in the Cooley Law c/o 2020 thread and how you seemed to realize how some schools just aren't worth going to, i checked back here excited to watch you figure out your situation....and I instantly regret looking. :/

Not sure why you went from UConn vs. Dozo to "omg QU is great"....You seem to love scavenging the TTTTs just for shits and giggles :(
QU is my undergrad so I have a special soft spot for it(also the campus is fucking beautiful and regardless of what people say it actually is regarded pretty well locally, I wholeheartedly believe it will eventually be a TT that will be seen as a peer of the Cardozo, Brooklyn's and UCONN's of the world, you at least got to give them it seems they're willing to spend the massive amount of money over a long period of time to do that). In terms of me "scavenging TTTT's just for shits and giggles", well you guys have made me a nervous wreck about debt so the natural remedy for someone not willing to give up on law school is to keep less expensive opportunities with lesser employment prospects open. Anyway if I don't get Deans Fellows QU is out and even then they openly said they would not negotiate stips, which is pretty close to a deal breaker. It still is mostly UCONN v Dozo.

In terms of Cooley, what do you want me to say the guy is going to a law school that is so bad it is actually known for being the worst school(I don't think it actually is, but that really doesn't matter)and for almost sticker price. I've always said I understand most of TLS's arguments but that I think they take them to extreme's. I just tend to think more debt is worth it for less prestigious schools than the consensus on here, although I will admit staring it down yourself is a bit more humbling than expected. I actually am considering not going because UCONN responded to me with their scholarship increase and it was so bad, I'm actually too embarrassed to post it on here.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:05 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Come on Ferris. After all the great things you were talking about in the Cooley Law c/o 2020 thread and how you seemed to realize how some schools just aren't worth going to, i checked back here excited to watch you figure out your situation....and I instantly regret looking. :/

QU is my undergrad so I have a special soft spot for it(also the campus is fucking beautiful and regardless of what people say it actually is regarded pretty well locally, I wholeheartedly believe it will eventually be a TT that will be seen as a peer of the Cardozo, Brooklyn's and UCONN's of the world, you at least got to give them it seems they're willing to spend the massive amount of money over a long period of time to do that). In terms of me "scavenging TTTT's just for shits and giggles", well you guys have made me a nervous wreck about debt so the natural remedy for someone not willing to give up on law school is to keep less expensive opportunities with lesser employment prospects open. Anyway if I don't get Deans Fellows QU is out and even then they openly said they would not negotiate stips, which is pretty close to a deal breaker. It still is mostly UCONN v Dozo.

In terms of Cooley, what do you want me to say the guy is going to a law school that is so bad it is actually known for being the worst school(I don't think it actually is, but that really doesn't matter)and for almost sticker price. I've always said I understand most of TLS's arguments but that I think they take them to extreme's. I just tend to think more debt is worth it for less prestigious schools than the consensus on here, although I will admit staring it down yourself is a bit more humbling than expected. I actually am considering not going because UCONN responded to me with their scholarship increase and it was so bad, I'm actually too embarrassed to post it on here.
I really hate to break it to you...but once you get that low in the barrel, it doesn't really matter if you go to QU or Cooley...they both give you less than a coin toss chance to actually become a lawyer. Crapping on Cooley yet loving Qu is like shitting on the guy that got an F when you got a D.

I don't really have a problem with your choices. What actually is the cause of all this outcry is when you give your reasons for looking at certain schools..."I can't drive...Beautiful Campus...I went to undergrad there...I want to get away from family..." These are the most juvenile reasons to put yourself into a terrible situation. What is also problematic to a lot of people here is that you can't seem to take advice that contradicts what you want to do. If you don't want people's opinions (Yes, there will be a lot of negative reaction to your wanting to go to certain schools for enormous amounts of debt and ESPECIALLY with the ridiculous reasoning that you give), I'm really not sure why you even ask for advice in the first place.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:45 am

You sound totally clueless, Ferris.

Still can't figure out if he/she is a troll.

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:20 am

ITT people talk about 25 being old. When I was 25 I hadn't even begun to make real mistakes.

3 years in the Marine Corps is probably a better idea than QU law, OP

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:40 am

Ferrisjso wrote:QU is my undergrad so I have a special soft spot for it(also the campus is fucking beautiful and regardless of what people say it actually is regarded pretty well locally, I wholeheartedly believe it will eventually be a TT that will be seen as a peer of the Cardozo, Brooklyn's and UCONN's of the world, you at least got to give them it seems they're willing to spend the massive amount of money over a long period of time to do that).
QU is so well regarded locally that half of their class can't get jobs as lawyers. And even assuming that your completely unsupported predictions came true, how would that help you, exactly? A school getting better after you graduate doesn't actually make your degree more valuable, especially when you didn't get your "fallback" job (can't believe you're referring to the law as a fallback now). I also flat-out refuse to believe that QU isn't framing their students as "self-starters", because the only other option is that they're lying to you about their employment prospects, in which case, you should be calling the ABA, not waxing poetic about the stupid architecture.

When literally everyone on this forum is telling you that you're making immature decisions for horrible reasons, do you ever stop to think that maybe there isn't an internet conspiracy to make you feel bad? What skin do we have in this game? What possible reason could people have for wanting to stop you from making a stupid decision other than to help you?

I get it. You're 25. That's super-old. Your whole life is basically over if you don't go to law school next year. But I guarantee that if you go at all (especially if you go right now), you will end up like my classmates who rushed the decision and are now earning a degree for a career they really don't want. And this is at a school where they'll actually have options. It's a shitty position to be in, and using law school as an escape route or a "fallback" option is a decision I guarantee you will regret. There is nothing forcing you to go to law school this year except your own stubborn insistence that it must happen.

Seriously, get yourself in therapy. Even just from reading your online posts, you need to talk to a professional and get your shit sorted out before you start making life-altering decisions.

beforethelaw

New

Post by beforethelaw » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:48 am

AJordan wrote:ITT people talk about 25 being old. When I was 25 I hadn't even begun to make real mistakes.

3 years in the Marine Corps is probably a better idea than QU law, OP

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:21 am

Ferrisjso wrote:
Rigo wrote:
Gitaroo_Dude wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:
beforethelaw wrote:
You keep insisting that there is not paid political work available. Have you tried applying for the positions? Campaign work is incredibly easy to get. There are a lot of options, especially for someone with a lot of volunteer experience (you are very interested in politics so I assume you do). You could be a paid canvasser, field organizer, etc . Additionally, you can go try to work on the hill in DC or at your local senator/congressional office. Put an application in at every single member of congress that you agree with politically. These are not well paid positions, but you have repeated over and over how frugal you are, so it shouldn't be an issue. Using law school as an escape is a terrible idea. You are 25, not 40.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:36 am

cavalier1138 wrote: I get it. You're 25. That's super-old. Your whole life is basically over if you don't go to law school next year.
He's 21/22. He's saying that GRADUATING at 25 is on the verge of being too old for his tastes, so he needs to go NOW because graduating at 26 or 27 would be so horrible that he would end up just not going to law school (the preferable decision, honestly).

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:42 am

Rigo wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote: I get it. You're 25. That's super-old. Your whole life is basically over if you don't go to law school next year.
He's 21/22. He's saying that GRADUATING at 25 is on the verge of being too old for his tastes, so he needs to go NOW because graduating at 26 or 27 would be so horrible that he would end up just not going to law school (the preferable decision, honestly).
Wow this is even worse. I didn't realize. Average age at matriculation is 24, why is 21 to old :lol: ?

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:43 am

Rigo wrote:
+1. He mentioned his age (then 21) in a different thread about a month ago (maybe "Stop Telling People to Retake").

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”