Regent vs. U. of Baltimore Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rellek

New

Regent vs. U. of Baltimore

Post by rellek » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:40 pm

Hello! I am currently stuck between a hard decision, and any advice would be appreciated. I've been accepted to Regent University, University of Baltimore, Oklahoma City University, and Ohio Northern. Awaiting to hear back from University of Maryland and University of Richmond. I think I have narrowed my decision down to University of Baltimore and Regent University (assuming I never hear back from the other two).

I am looking at concentrating in Intellectual Property and/or Sports and Entertainment Law, offered at both Baltimore and Regent.

Baltimore originally was my top choice, but I got a pretty decent scholarship at Regent. Though I qualify for in-state tuition at Baltimore, the scholarship I got from Regent would essentially make Regent half the price of Baltimore in terms of price of tuition.

I think my biggest concern would be job-prospects and which school would offer better ones and better connections post-graduation. I have been a resident of Maryland my whole life, so I would most likely be practicing in Maryland, and that fact alone would make it more logical for me to attend a Maryland school. HOWEVER, I live in close proximity to D.C., and am also interested in working for the Federal Government, and if I went that route, then the state of the school I choose wouldn't matter as much.

Also, I do realize Regent is a Christian university, and have seen a few critiques of some of its courses on this forum. I am a Christian, but the religiosity of a law school itself (or lack thereof) does not really swing me one direction or the other.

cavalier1138

Re: Regent vs. U. of Baltimore

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:46 pm

Well, without your estimated COA at each school and your GPA/LSAT, specific recommendations are impossible, but here are some general thoughts.

In order:
-Specialty programs are meaningless.
-If you want to practice/live in Maryland, go to school in Maryland.
-Competitive federal government jobs are extremely unlikely from any of these schools. Hell, being a lawyer is unlikely from any of these schools
-Don't take on any debt at any of these schools.

celticsfan

New

Post by celticsfan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:48 pm

Definitely need COA for each and stats. The number one thing I'd say is re-take the LSAT if you have to take on debt at schools like this with low employment prospects.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:13 pm

I don't like doing this, but please retake.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:14 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: -Specialty programs are meaningless.
-If you want to practice/live in Maryland, go to school in Maryland.
-Competitive federal government jobs are extremely unlikely from any of these schools. Hell, being a lawyer is unlikely from any of these schools
-Don't take on any debt at any of these schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rellek

New

Post by rellek » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:18 pm

The estimated COA at Regent is $53,000 ($35,500 tuition + $17,500 room and board, books, other expenses, etc.) BUT with renewable scholarship of $20,000/year, would bring total cost down to about $33,000/year.

The estimated COA at Baltimore is $50,000 (30,000 in-state tuition + $20,000 room and board, books, other expenses, etc.).

I have a 3.8GPA and have always been top of class in high school and college, but I did average on LSAT (149). Never have been a great standardized test-taker and am not considering holding off any time before going into Law School to take LSAT again.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:22 pm

you're not getting IP, sports law, or bigfed coming out of either of these schools

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:23 pm

rellek wrote:The estimated COA at Regent is $53,000 ($35,500 tuition + $17,500 room and board, books, other expenses, etc.) BUT with renewable scholarship of $20,000/year, would bring total cost down to about $33,000/year.

The estimated COA at Baltimore is $50,000 (30,000 in-state tuition + $20,000 room and board, books, other expenses, etc.).

I have a 3.8GPA and have always been top of class in high school and college, but I did average on LSAT (149). Never have been a great standardized test-taker and am not considering holding off any time before going into Law School to take LSAT again.
Come on.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 pm

rellek wrote: I have a 3.8GPA and have always been top of class in high school and college, but I did average on LSAT (149). Never have been a great standardized test-taker and am not considering holding off any time before going into Law School to take LSAT again.
yeah, no. You didn't do average. You did poorly. Retake. This shouldn't even be a question. If you actually want to be a lawyer please don't go to either school or even think about taking out over 100k in debt for that level of education.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 pm

rellek wrote:The estimated COA at Regent is $53,000 ($35,500 tuition + $17,500 room and board, books, other expenses, etc.) BUT with renewable scholarship of $20,000/year, would bring total cost down to about $33,000/year.

If you want even like a 1% chance of ever achieving your stated career goals, then I really encourage you to retake (even though it sucks). That awesome GPA should open many doors that are unavailable to most people here on TLS, but you're literally shutting that door on you.

Otherwise, FedGov/entlaw jobs will be almost certainly out of reach with these schools.

This is literally the same as someone choosing to walk out with the $100 after the first question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:32 pm

mrgstephe wrote:
rellek wrote: I have a 3.8GPA and have always been top of class in high school and college, but I did average on LSAT (149). Never have been a great standardized test-taker and am not considering holding off any time before going into Law School to take LSAT again.
yeah, no. You didn't do average. You did poorly. Retake. This shouldn't even be a question. If you actually want to be a lawyer please don't go to either school or even think about taking out over 100k in debt for that level of education.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:33 pm

Don't go to Regent.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Ronan wrote:

Come on.
How did you study for the LSAT? I don't believe you couldn't improve on that atrocious score if you worked at it. We have guides and lots of advice and support to help you retake and improve.

You aren't getting close to your goals from either school. You will be lucky to even get a job.

https://www.lstreports.com/schools/baltimore/
https://www.lstreports.com/schools/regent/
It's like you are willfully throwing away your hard work in college to destroy your future.
Last edited by Npret on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:36 pm

rellek wrote:Hello! I am currently stuck between a hard decision, and any advice would be appreciated. I've been accepted to Regent University, University of Baltimore, Oklahoma City University, and Ohio Northern. Awaiting to hear back from University of Maryland and University of Richmond. I think I have narrowed my decision down to University of Baltimore and Regent University (assuming I never hear back from the other two).

I am looking at concentrating in Intellectual Property and/or Sports and Entertainment Law, offered at both Baltimore and Regent.

Baltimore originally was my top choice, but I got a pretty decent scholarship at Regent. Though I qualify for in-state tuition at Baltimore, the scholarship I got from Regent would essentially make Regent half the price of Baltimore in terms of price of tuition.

I think my biggest concern would be job-prospects and which school would offer better ones and better connections post-graduation. I have been a resident of Maryland my whole life, so I would most likely be practicing in Maryland, and that fact alone would make it more logical for me to attend a Maryland school. HOWEVER, I live in close proximity to D.C., and am also interested in working for the Federal Government, and if I went that route, then the state of the school I choose wouldn't matter as much.

Also, I do realize Regent is a Christian university, and have seen a few critiques of some of its courses on this forum. I am a Christian, but the religiosity of a law school itself (or lack thereof) does not really swing me one direction or the other.
The bolded is patently untrue. Your school ranking does matter. And if you go to a school below top 50, you'd only be considered if you're top of your class and have some other interesting characteristics, which you can't really control the former or much of the latter.

Do yourself a favor and retake.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:41 pm

33,000 is a great price for law school generally IMO, but Regent is just a really bad school(even if you want VA, the employment numbers are just bad) you shouldn't be paying for. Have you taken the LSAT more than once because if you haven't and scored a 149, an improvement is pretty likely, and you should have retaken the test. Wasting a 3.8, a GPA people would die for to have to go to Regent and Baltimore is a tragedy on so many levels. Don't like encouraging people to retake and take a year off but why didn't you just take the test more than once in college? If you think I'm being harsh, if you look at my posting history I'm actually one of the most anti taking a year off to retake people on the site but damm man come on, what do you want people to say? I think the retake people are right for once, this really is a no brainier.

I feel morally obligated to answer your question though and I'd probably say the 17k extra at Baltimore is worth it because it's a better school with less competition in it's market. If you're dead set on VA, I guess go to Regent and pay less money, just know there's a very very very high chance you will either not have a job or not be happy with what you end up with.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:43 pm

zot1 wrote:
rellek wrote:Hello! I am currently stuck between a hard decision, and any advice would be appreciated. I've been accepted to Regent University, University of Baltimore, Oklahoma City University, and Ohio Northern. Awaiting to hear back from University of Maryland and University of Richmond. I think I have narrowed my decision down to University of Baltimore and Regent University (assuming I never hear back from the other two).

The bolded is patently untrue. Your school ranking does matter. And if you go to a school below top 50, you'd only be considered if you're top of your class and have some other interesting characteristics, which you can't really control the former or much of the latter.

Do yourself a favor and retake.
If you are talking about being licensed in any state lies you to do federal practice then you are correct.
If you are talking about actually getting a job then your school is incredibly important in getting a job. Also, there is hiring freeze which is going to turn into mandated reduction in government hiring and government budgets. I don't think going to school expecting a federal legal job in DC is a good plan for anyone right now.

rellek

New

Post by rellek » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:43 pm

I respect the opinions of you telling me to retake and wait another year to go into law school, but at this point in my life, I'd rather knock schooling out, rather than essentially waste a year with no guarantee of actually being able to improve on the test. Retaking the test is simply not an alternative for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:45 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:

33,000 is a great price for law school generally IMO, but Regent is just a really bad school(even if you want VA, the employment numbers are just bad) you shouldn't be paying for. Have you taken the LSAT more than once because if you haven't and scored a 149, an improvement is pretty likely, and you should have retaken the test. Wasting a 3.8, a GPA people would die for to have to go to Regent and Baltimore is a tragedy on so many levels. Don't like encouraging people to retake and take a year off but why didn't you just take the test more than once in college? If you think I'm being harsh, if you look at my posting history I'm actually one of the most anti taking a year off to retake people on the site but damm man come on, what do you want people to say? I think the retake people are right for once, this really is a no brainier. RETAKE

I feel morally obligated to answer your question though and I'd probably say the 17k extra at Baltimore is worth it because it's a better school with less competition in it's market. If you're dead set on VA, I guess go to Regent and pay less money, just know there's a very very very high chance you will either not have a job or not be happy with what you end up with.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:47 pm

rellek wrote:I respect the opinions of you telling me to retake and wait another year to go into law school, but at this point in my life, I'd rather knock schooling out, rather than essentially waste a year with no guarantee of actually being able to improve on the test. Retaking the test is simply not an alternative for me.
Then you are truly one of the most willfully blind and stubborn people to ever post on this site. Do what you want but you aren't getting your goals and you have about a 50% chance of getting a job anywhere- maybe you can defend DUIs or something for $40,000 a year if you are lucky. So, yes, rush into that future.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 pm

i'm telling y'all. the retake advice is a catch-22. someone smart enough to do well on the LSAT doesn't need the advice, and the ones who need it are too dumb to understand it.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:49 pm

rellek wrote:I respect the opinions of you telling me to retake and wait another year to go into law school, but at this point in my life, I'd rather knock schooling out, rather than essentially waste a year with no guarantee of actually being able to improve on the test. Retaking the test is simply not an alternative for me.
That's totally fine. But go to a school with a clear understanding of what you're getting into. As someone who's actually done hiring for the federal government, I want you to know, in no uncertain terms, that your school does matter.

So when you graduate from Regent without a single interview from a federal agency, you won't say, oh why did no one tell me.

Finally, as someone who's employed and dealing with debt, it ain't fun, mate. It changes everything about your life for possibly decades. I couldn't imagine doing with this without a job. So when you say I don't want to delay schooling, just keep in mind how debt will restrict your life post-graduation.

Good luck.
Last edited by zot1 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:50 pm

Enjoy working at a ticket clinic. You cannot achieve any of your goals from either school. In fact, if you go to either, you will be explicitly blacklisted from fed gov jobs. Fed gov jobs really care about school ranking.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Nevermind the very real possibility that "you'll knock school out" and then have the prospect of staring unemployment in the face and years and years of debt without the potential to obtain a high paying legal job...

But yeah, I can see why a few months of retaking the most important exam in your life would be, essentially, a waste.

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:59 pm

but guys, there's no GUARANTEE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:02 pm

pancakes3 wrote:but guys, there's no GUARANTEE!
There's a guarantee of crippling debt and unemployment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”