Regent vs. U. of Baltimore Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Re: Regent vs. U. of Baltimore

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:45 pm

rellek wrote:Parents, both of whom are lawyers, are dead-set against me taking a year off. They absolutely won't let me do it.
I hope the point has gotten through by now, but just to make sure...

You are, I assume, no longer a minor. Your parents cannot stop you from doing anything. You are now free to make your own decisions, and that includes decisions that your parents think are bad ones.

I guarantee you that if your parents actually knew anything about the current situation for law graduates, they would not be so eager to tell you to go into this much debt for a school like Baltimore. Seriously, show them the employment reports from the ABA without a school name attached, and see if they think that you should shell out money for it.

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:47 pm

A most unique definition. Do what you will. Your writing will not suffer for avoiding the word.

Everyone's calm :D
mrgstephe wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: If you want even like a 1% chance of ever achieving your stated career goals, then I really encourage you to retake (even though it sucks). That awesome GPA should open many doors that are unavailable to most people here on TLS, but you're literally shutting that door on you.

Otherwise, FedGov/entlaw jobs will be almost certainly out of reach with these schools.

This is literally the same as someone choosing to walk out with the $100 after the first question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire.
It is not "literally the same." Literally does not mean figuratively, no matter how fun it is to use it that way.

Anyhow, I hate saying retake, but yipes. Please please please please think about this. If you're not good at tests, go to a school where class rank matters less. With that GPA, you can.
It's for emphasis. Perhaps you literally need to calm down lol
But you weren't wrong. Websters literally lists a definition of 'literally' as 'figuratively'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -literally

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:32 pm

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:A most unique definition. Do what you will. Your writing will not suffer for avoiding the word.

Everyone's calm :D
mrgstephe wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote: If you want even like a 1% chance of ever achieving your stated career goals, then I really encourage you to retake (even though it sucks). That awesome GPA should open many doors that are unavailable to most people here on TLS, but you're literally shutting that door on you.

Otherwise, FedGov/entlaw jobs will be almost certainly out of reach with these schools.

This is literally the same as someone choosing to walk out with the $100 after the first question on Who Wants to Be A Millionaire.
It is not "literally the same." Literally does not mean figuratively, no matter how fun it is to use it that way.

Anyhow, I hate saying retake, but yipes. Please please please please think about this. If you're not good at tests, go to a school where class rank matters less. With that GPA, you can.
It's for emphasis. Perhaps you literally need to calm down lol
But you weren't wrong. Websters literally lists a definition of 'literally' as 'figuratively'

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -literally
I'm sure I'll write my papers, briefs, memos, etc. the same way I write my on TLS, social media, and text lol

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:54 pm

The JD is only usefully for business stuff if you go to a top school and have work experience before law school. Get a job, work while studying for a retake, and go to law school in a couple years.

You also mentioned that your parent won't let you take a year. What will they do if you don't go to law school this fall? Kick your ass and cyber bully you?
Last edited by jingosaur on Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Rellek - are your parents paying for your law school (serious questions)? If not, than they have NO reason to be telling you what you can or can't do when it comes to possibly/likely a devastating financial impact for YOU (NOT them) - that's parental over-reach, if I've ever seen it.

FTR, my father (an attorney for 40+ years) and my mother (a college professor) thought that I was nuts not taking the Cuse or Akron offer and sitting out another year. However, now they are very happy for me that I did and a number of time have commented to me how "smart" I was not accepting those offers and retaking -- that they really had no idea.

Sit out, retake, tell your parents to shut it unless if they want to pay for your LS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Last edited by ausimpv on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm

ausimpv wrote: and your embarrassment when you tell people you graduated from a low ranked school that you need to consider.
So, your one of those types??? A little insecure, are we?

law1776

New

Post by law1776 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm

I went to Regent on full scholarship, graduated, and got a job that I am happy with and pays well in my home state. I was very happy with my time at Regent, but would NOT recommend paying that much for Regent or any school unless its one at the very top. I agree with everyone here who says retake - if you can raise your score you can get a lot more money from Regent. But don't just go to Regent because it was one of the only places to accept you and offer a little bit of money. There was one or two people from my class who landed jobs with firms of 100+ and a few who got federal clerkships. It is possible to get these kind of jobs coming out of Regent, but only the people at the top of the class are getting them. With a 149 LSAT I don't think that will be you. Also, I 'm sure Regent's marketing materials tell you they have Sports/Entertainment and IP, but in reality they only offer a few classes and I didn't know anyone in my class who either specialized or got jobs in these fields. I think there are probably other schools who actually specialize that could boost your chances of getting a job in either field.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”