Public Interest - UNC v. American v. Northeastern v. Chance at Georgetown Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Re: Public Interest - UNC v. American v. Northeastern v. Chance at Georgetown

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am

jlc058 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
usn26 wrote:That's correct. So I should have said our LRAP will continue to be amazing until it ruins PSLF for everyone (including ourselves).
Maybe, but any change will have a grandfather provision. It would truly be merciless to not grandfather people already on the program. Plus, such a harsh maneuver would likely not pass the Senate. It would make even Republicans a little queasy (remember, most of the people who would be hurt by this are lawyers and they likely personally know someone on PSLF by family or their family knows someone on PSLF).

If there's one thing you should know, the legal community is a pretty strong lobby and pretty protective of the profession and those within it.
I agree with that but am not sure where the grandfather provision would start- does it protect the people who have already graduated and started working in public service on the ten year path, Does it protect the people already in school that went based on thinking they would have this option, Does it protect people who took out loans based on thinking they would have this option but are just at the start of their education? and all that seems a little risky
When I filled out my promissory note for government loans, it specifically mentioned PSLF. I have to believe that anybody who takes out a loan with the same promissory note is going to be grandfathered in because of that clause.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 am

jlc058 wrote:
Nebby wrote:
usn26 wrote:That's correct. So I should have said our LRAP will continue to be amazing until it ruins PSLF for everyone (including ourselves).
Maybe, but any change will have a grandfather provision. It would truly be merciless to not grandfather people already on the program. Plus, such a harsh maneuver would likely not pass the Senate. It would make even Republicans a little queasy (remember, most of the people who would be hurt by this are lawyers and they likely personally know someone on PSLF by family or their family knows someone on PSLF).

If there's one thing you should know, the legal community is a pretty strong lobby and pretty protective of the profession and those within it.
I agree with that but am not sure where the grandfather provision would start- does it protect the people who have already graduated and started working in public service on the ten year path, Does it protect the people already in school that went based on thinking they would have this option, Does it protect people who took out loans based on thinking they would have this option but are just at the start of their education? and all that seems a little risky
Probably the bolded

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:23 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

When I filled out my promissory note for government loans, it specifically mentioned PSLF. I have to believe that anybody who takes out a loan with the same promissory note is going to be grandfathered in because of that clause.
Ohhhh shit good catch

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:27 am

Page 14 of the Grad PLUS Master Promissory Note
Public Service Loan Forgiveness
A Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program is also available. Under this program, we will forgive the remaining balance due on your eligible Direct Loan Program loans after you have made 120 payments on those loans (after October 1, 2007) under certain repayment plans while you are employed full-time in certain public service jobs. The required 120 payments do not have to be consecutive. Qualifying repayment plans include the REPAYE Plan, the PAYE Plan, the IBR Plan, the ICR Plan, and the Standard Repayment Plan with a 10-year repayment period.

Note: Although the Standard Repayment Plan with a 10-year repayment period is a qualifying repayment plan for PSLF, to receive any loan forgiveness under this program you must make the majority of the required 120 payments under the REPAYE Plan, the PAYE Plan, the IBR Plan, or the ICR Plan.
https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/d ... e=PLUS_MPN

jlc058

Bronze

Post by jlc058 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:35 am

Nebby wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
jlc058 wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Ohhhh shit good catch
This would be the ideal situation because then I could take out my loans this summer and sign this note before the forgiveness hits in October and the government goes crazy trying to undo it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

latetothis

Bronze

Post by latetothis » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:26 am

latetothis wrote:In response to your earlier post, glad to know I'm not alone! Everyone keeps telling me it's a good problem to have to be deciding between these options. I just wish I could be done with the decision-making! I found out Friday that I got the full scholarship at UNC -- which is VERY tempting.

I've been wondering about myself about PSLF and potentially having to be grandfathered in, so thanks for asking that question! Such a relief to hear about the promissory note mentioning it. Certainly something to consider. Good luck to you!
Congrats on UNC! I think that's the best fit for your interests and needs as described. If you want to work with sexual violence victims (my field, incidentally), the marginal benefit of GULC is slim, and even slimmer if you want to provide direct legal services. If you were more policy-oriented, GULC makes some sense relative to UNC, but you're still extremely unlikely to get a fancy national/international PI gig (especially right out of law school) b/c they're rare and you'll still be outgunned by people who went to better law schools.

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:40 pm

I am biased as someone who went to WCL . . .

Everyone I know who received a full-ride at WCL (very few get this and they tend to do well) the past three classes and wanted to do PI, found their dream job in the DC area well before graduation. You will be surrounded by a lot more people passionate about PI at WCL and will have the chance to do a lot of amazing internships and a clinic at WCL. So, just don't write off WCL too fast if your goal really is DC and PI.

If you are open to working other places besides DC, then go to UNC for sure.

SolRs

New

Post by SolRs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:26 pm

Where do you want to live post-grad? Do you want to do large scale policy work or smaller scale work where you can really be hands on with the community?

Don't undervalue the networking aspect of law school. I strongly believe most people should go closer to where they want to work. So, I guess my vote would be UNC without knowing where you want to live.

That said, if you want to do large scale policy work, GT seems like the only option (but for 300k, I wouldn't do it).

I'm in a similar boat so I feel your pain. Almost full tuition scholarship from Colorado (#36) and 50k to UVA (USNWR says #8). I'm planning on PI work too.... so I know how you feel. It's a reallllllly tough decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

latetothis

Bronze

Post by latetothis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latetothis

Bronze

Post by latetothis » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:40 pm

Last edited by latetothis on Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SolRs

New

Post by SolRs » Sat May 13, 2017 9:35 am

latetothis wrote:
SolRs wrote:Where do you want to live post-grad? Do you want to do large scale policy work or smaller scale work where you can really be hands on with the community?

Don't undervalue the networking aspect of law school. I strongly believe most people should go closer to where they want to work. So, I guess my vote would be UNC without knowing where you want to live.

That said, if you want to do large scale policy work, GT seems like the only option (but for 300k, I wouldn't do it).

I'm in a similar boat so I feel your pain. Almost full tuition scholarship from Colorado (#36) and 50k to UVA (USNWR says #8). I'm planning on PI work too.... so I know how you feel. It's a reallllllly tough decision.
50K to UVA sounds amazing. I think you should go for it! Have you made a decision yet?

I do think I would be interested in policy work in the long term. Direct services would be a great way to help people at the get-go, while gaining experience and informing any policy work down the road.

Sorry for the delay in my response. I was out of the country for a month and am just now able to catch up on all of this. I withdrew my 50k to UVA and put a deposit to CU Boulder. It was a REALLY hard decision for me, but I can't go back on it now so I'm looking forward and I am very excited for the opportunities Ill have at CU. My decision was ultimately made based on where I want to live long-term and how much debt I'm willing to take on. The PI loan repayment program is pretty sweet at UVA (especially if combined with the federal program), but I'd still have at least $160k in debt and I'd be limited in branching off to do for-profit work (because I'd lose the benefits of the repayment program). Honestly, I just didn't want to be tied down to that much money in debt. I may want to start my own business down the line or take some time off to travel, and the full-ride will allow that, while the 160k in debt won't. Job prospects for UVA are great, but I'm looking to live in the West and not the NE or DC.... so despite UVA being a significantly better school, I had other factors that I considered to be important.

Did you make a decision? I'm sure it was hard for you too!

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 pm

usn26 wrote:Congrats on UNC! I think that's the best fit for your interests and needs as described. If you want to work with sexual violence victims (my field, incidentally), the marginal benefit of GULC is slim, and even slimmer if you want to provide direct legal services. If you were more policy-oriented, GULC makes some sense relative to UNC, but you're still extremely unlikely to get a fancy national/international PI gig (especially right out of law school) b/c they're rare and you'll still be outgunned by people who went to better law schools.
+1 to the bolded. Getting an impact lit job straight out of law school was extremely difficult. I went through the OCI process at my school as well, and can say without hesitation that the impact lit job hunt was much, much harder. Good grades at a top school helps, but it is by no means a guarantee.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”