Am I being an idiot? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BoyJord

Bronze

Am I being an idiot?

Post by BoyJord » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:24 pm

I know the popular wisdom on TLS is retake, when in doubt retake. My current stats are (available on my profile as well) 164/3.9x

The question is simply, am I wasting a GPA by not retaking? I am 2 years removed from UG and feel like I am wasting time not getting into school this cycle. However, after reading many many posts I cannot shake this feeling that I may be "rushing" into a situation that could be improved if I can just convince myself to sit out another cycle. Class of 2021 does not sound terrible.

Background, I prepped for the December LSAT by taking approx. 35 PTs between September and the end of November. True, 164 was lower than my PT band which was 167-170 (My average was -12) but I do not want to convince myself that simply because I was scoring X on PTs that I will certainly get that on Test Day. I know I could buckle down and study intensely for another test but I am just not sure what the best decision is here. My concern is that if I get into "retake" mode I might convince myself that whatever new score I get wont be high enough and I'll be in an endless cycle of needing to retake to get X number points higher.

Tl;dr - another TLS person needs to be convinced to retake.

Gold

Re: Am I being an idiot?

Post by 20170322 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:25 pm

Yes.

/thread.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:25 pm

You need to retake. I took over 200 practice lsats before I got the score I wanted. DO NOT WASTE THAT GPA.

BoyJord

Bronze

Post by BoyJord » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:26 pm

realized I posted in a weird place so I deleted and moved to different forum

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 pm

A retake could net you a Ruby. You owe that you to yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:48 pm

If you manage to improve your LSAT meaningfully, which your practice tests suggest is possible, retaking is one of the least "wasteful" things you can do for your career. I don't know your goals, but a relatively short period of intense study can substitute for years that you would have spent maneuvering professionally after graduating from a "worse" school (to say nothing of doors that might be closed forever) or years that you might spend paying off loans that you could receive in scholarship funds with a better score.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:49 pm

What's worse? A couple of months studying for a test that you obviously have the capability to do better on, or a life left wondering if a retake could've gotten you a free ride to our country's most elite law schools...

You owe it to yourself to give it another go. Don't waste that precious gpa. Even if you raise your score by just a point, you'll know you did all you could, not to mention more $$$ will be in play.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”