... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:55 pm

---
Last edited by tartelettejf on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

studyingeveryday

Silver

Re: Should I go to law school or start a business?

Post by studyingeveryday » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:01 pm

I have no idea how this would work, but is getting an LLM and then being able to practice law here an option? Again, someone knowledgeable should chime in if they have an idea about this!

(sorry, OP, I'm just a 0L with little real life experience to help you out with your choice besides the LLM option)

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:36 pm

I don't know if 100/150 k is enough for an E2 visa when you don't even have a plan.

If you just want to come to the US I would try to get here in away that won't require an H1B visa for you or your husband.

You should maybe look for immigration advice.

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Npret wrote:I don't know if 100/150 k is enough for an E2 visa when you don't even have a plan.

If you just want to come to the US I would try to get here in away that won't require an H1B visa for you or your husband.

Actually I've already talked with an immigration attorney. She says that 150K would probably be enough for an E2 visa (of course I need to write a business plan before applying). But there are no other visas that would allow me to live/work there (well, there's the EB5 - but it would require an investment of 500k or 1 million dollars). :mrgreen:

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 pm

studyingeveryday wrote:I have no idea how this would work, but is getting an LLM and then being able to practice law here an option? Again, someone knowledgeable should chime in if they have an idea about this!

(sorry, OP, I'm just a 0L with little real life experience to help you out with your choice besides the LLM option)
Thanks anyway. :) I understand that the LLM doesn't open a lot of possibilities because you can only sit for the Bar exam in Texas, NY and California (I guess), and those are not states that I would want to live in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:18 pm

tartelettejf wrote:
studyingeveryday wrote:I have no idea how this would work, but is getting an LLM and then being able to practice law here an option? Again, someone knowledgeable should chime in if they have an idea about this!

Thanks anyway. :) I understand that the LLM doesn't open a lot of possibilities because you can only sit for the Bar exam in Texas, NY and California (I guess), and those are not states that I would want to live in.
Where did you want to live and practice biglaw? Outside of those states, the pickings get pretty slim...

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:35 pm

cavalier1138 wrote: Where did you want to live and practice biglaw? Outside of those states, the pickings get pretty slim...
I would like to live in Atlanta.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 pm

tartelettejf wrote:
Npret wrote:I don't know if 100/150 k is enough for an E2 visa when you don't even have a plan.

Actually I've already talked with an immigration attorney. She says that 150K would probably be enough for an E2 visa (of course I need to write a business plan before applying). But there are no other visas that would allow me to live/work there (well, there's the EB5 - but it would require an investment of 500k or 1 million dollars). :mrgreen:
Well that's great! I just wouldn't rely on any H1B visa right now. You will need one as well after you graduate.

Putting money into law school right now seems like a very shaky investment for you.

SplitMyPants

Gold

Post by SplitMyPants » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:41 pm

tartelettejf wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote: Where did you want to live and practice biglaw? Outside of those states, the pickings get pretty slim...
I would like to live in Atlanta.
Do a bit more digging on LLM's and the Georgia Bar:
On February 21, 2014, the Supreme Court of Georgia ruled that foreign educated students who complete an LL.M. degree are now eligible to sit for the Georgia Bar Exam. Georgia now joins New York and California, some of the only states that allow foreign educated attorneys to sit for the bar exam and practice as a licensed attorneys in those states.
I found that here:
http://www.johnmarshall.edu/llm/ll-m-in ... -students/

It seems like you might be able to go the LLM route as an option. Best of luck with your decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:27 am

Specially for someone chasing biglaw, I've been told that firms look down on foreign educated lawyers. I would definitely do some research on that even if the state bar allows one to sit after an LLM.

OP, when you talked to your immigration lawyer, did you discuss the current administration policies?

I can't really provide an answer other than do what you see yourself doing the most. You seem to understand the drawbacks of law school and seem to have some knowledge in business. You and your husband should discuss what you're gonna be most comfortable with in the long run.

Good luck!

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:35 pm

Thank you everyone for your input. I guess there isn't an easy advice such as "retake" or "sit this cycle out" for my situation. :mrgreen:

I've considered the LLM route, but I'm not sure a LLM would be enough for a foreign lawyer to work in the US even with a bar admission. Maybe it would be different if it's an LLM in tax from UF?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:42 pm

tartelettejf wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. I guess there isn't an easy advice such as "retake" or "sit this cycle out" for my situation. :mrgreen:

I've considered the LLM route, but I'm not sure a LLM would be enough for a foreign lawyer to work in the US even with a bar admission. Maybe it would be different if it's an LLM in tax from UF?
An LLM is more than sufficient to work at a US biglaw firm if you can demonstrate English fluency. Passing the bar and being conversational in callbacks, as well as a good writing sample, should demonstrate that.

The "tax LLM" issue is really for JD's who screwed up in picking law schools and now want to try and backdoor into biglaw by getting yet another set of letters next to their name. It doesn't apply to an LLM with a foreign law degree and foreign bar admissions. Whether/where you can get a job in the US will be determined by the need that firms in your area have for a foreign-trained lawyer from your specific country/language skills. Industry experience would also be a plus.

If you do not have a specific business idea I would not try and start a small business. Put that 100/150K in index funds and maybe use some of it to buy a small investment property if you want more "active" income.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:25 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
tartelettejf wrote:Thank you everyone for your input. I guess there isn't an easy advice such as "retake" or "sit this cycle out" for my situation. :mrgreen:

An LLM is more than sufficient to work at a US biglaw firm if you can demonstrate English fluency. Passing the bar and being conversational in callbacks, as well as a good writing sample, should demonstrate that.

The "tax LLM" issue is really for JD's who screwed up in picking law schools and now want to try and backdoor into biglaw by getting yet another set of letters next to their name. It doesn't apply to an LLM with a foreign law degree and foreign bar admissions. Whether/where you can get a job in the US will be determined by the need that firms in your area have for a foreign-trained lawyer from your specific country/language skills. Industry experience would also be a plus.

If you do not have a specific business idea I would not try and start a small business. Put that 100/150K in index funds and maybe use some of it to buy a small investment property if you want more "active" income.
Yeah. I feel uncomfortable with recommending starting a business as it seems like a good way to lose everything.
We have plenty of florists in the US.

I guess law is her best option as she at least has experience. I don't think she can count on a visa though.

It's not easy to get to the US. I'm surprised her parents can retire here but maybe they wont become permanent residents.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Last edited by tartelettejf on Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:05 pm

Re current administration, I was mostly referring to the student visa. I know during the latest airport stops, some students were detained. Not sure if they were released or not, but just something to think about.

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

tartelettejf

New

Post by tartelettejf » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:57 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”