Need another opinion please Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chasima

Bronze

Need another opinion please

Post by chasima » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 pm

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Need another opinion please

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:28 pm

In general, part-time programs are not a great idea if you have a job that involves any real stress, decision-making, etc., because you'll be too drained at school or too drained at work (or both) as a result. Additionally, unless the job is actually your guaranteed legal job after school (or somehow related to it), you cut yourself off from a lot of internship opportunities and ultimately don't really save money in the long-term.

The main thing that sticks out to me is that you're not willing to quit your job to go to school, and you "think [you'd] enjoy law school". That doesn't strike me as a great reason to go, since I'm not reading anything in your post that indicates you want a legal career badly enough to even consider leaving your current place of employment.

Overall, if you actually want to go to law school, I think you should be aiming for a full-time program at a T14, and that's well within reach if you can get a few points higher on the LSAT.

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:13 am

I don't really have any advice to give (sorry) but I just wanted to say I'm not as convinced as cavalier about your ability to reach into the T14, and I mean that in a way that's not intended to sound mean lol. I have a higher GPA and higher LSAT but have had some difficulty with T14s this cycle -- although I will say that I got into Michigan (though it's sticker). I've been WLed randomly (CLS, Duke, & UVA) and dinged most other places in the T14. Right outside of the T14 (T15-T25), I've gotten nothing but acceptances from where I applied (save WUSTL, which STILL hasn't gotten back to me), and so far have gotten some pretty good scholly offers. I'd recommend deciding whether or not you want NY vs. DC. DC is a harder market and I would definitely recommend trying your best to get into a better T14 if DC is what you want -- UVA would probably be a good one to aim for if you want DC because they place really well there and are significantly better placement-wise than Georgetown and GWU. Either way, good luck to you!

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:19 am

It sounds like you're open to waiting a year. If you really do want biglaw --> in house, then you're going to need a t14 to increase your chances of making that happen. If February doesn't work out how you'd like it, then consider waiting another year.

That said, if you would rather have a NY job than a biglaw in general job, go to Fordham. You won't have as much debt either which would be nice. The Georgetown decision is harder to make with that debt.

However, working and going to school at the same time would probably be very rough and you would miss out on a lot of opportunities, as others have said, so think about whether you really want to do that.

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:55 am

<3
Last edited by chasima on Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:04 am

<3

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:09 am

<3

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:11 am

chasima wrote:
brinicolec wrote:I don't really have any advice to give (sorry) but I just wanted to say I'm not as convinced as cavalier about your ability to reach into the T14, and I mean that in a way that's not intended to sound mean lol. I have a higher GPA and higher LSAT but have had some difficulty with T14s this cycle -- although I will say that I got into Michigan (though it's sticker). I've been WLed randomly (CLS, Duke, & UVA) and dinged most other places in the T14. Right outside of the T14 (T15-T25), I've gotten nothing but acceptances from where I applied (save WUSTL, which STILL hasn't gotten back to me), and so far have gotten some pretty good scholly offers. I'd recommend deciding whether or not you want NY vs. DC. DC is a harder market and I would definitely recommend trying your best to get into a better T14 if DC is what you want -- UVA would probably be a good one to aim for if you want DC because they place really well there and are significantly better placement-wise than Georgetown and GWU. Either way, good luck to you!
This wasn't mean at all, and I totally think that what you've described is why I'm hesitant to wait and re-apply. Thanks for your insight :)
Oh good! I just feel like things on this site can come off abrasive sometimes so I wanted to be sure lol. And no problem.

Also, just to make my post more accurate: I also got into GULC (don't know how much $$$ they'll offer yet). Idk why I forgot that one. Lol.

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:35 am

I wrote about my own experience reapplying and taking the LSAT on the URM thread. For the record, I was convinced like you were that I could get better scholarships and offers and ended up turning down a t6 school and two t14s and removing myself from 4 t14 waitlists. My cycle isn't going nearly as well this cycle as I've only been accepted to one t14 with scattered t20 money. Though I have received full tuition scholarships to some t20s, I was waitlisted by the very t14 schools I was admitted to. Retakes and reapplying aren't a guarantee of better outcomes and I'm definitely proof of that.

Your GPA might be too low for the t14, as most prefer high GPAs especially with URM. I think Fordham's part time is a good idea if you can afford it. I have a friend there now who is thriving, and said it's manageable. I live in NY and Fordham definitely has a good name and rep here...

You can pm me if you want - good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:12 am

bunney_j wrote:I wrote about my own experience reapplying and taking the LSAT on the URM thread. For the record, I was convinced like you were that I could get better scholarships and offers and ended up turning down a t6 school and two t14s and removing myself from 4 t14 waitlists. My cycle isn't going nearly as well this cycle as I've only been accepted to one t14 with scattered t20 money. Though I have received full tuition scholarships to some t20s, I was waitlisted by the very t14 schools I was admitted to. Retakes and reapplying aren't a guarantee of better outcomes and I'm definitely proof of that.

Your GPA might be too low for the t14, as most prefer high GPAs especially with URM. I think Fordham's part time is a good idea if you can afford it. I have a friend there now who is thriving, and said it's manageable. I live in NY and Fordham definitely has a good name and rep here...

Do you mind answering a couple of questions:
When you withdrew did you make it clear it was for financial reasons? What were your expectations of what you might achieve by turning down a school and then reapplying - did you assume you would be readmitted to the places that accepted you once before?

bunney_j

Bronze

Post by bunney_j » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:13 pm

Npret wrote:
bunney_j wrote:I wrote about my own experience reapplying and taking the LSAT on the URM thread. For the record, I was convinced like you were that I could get better scholarships and offers and ended up turning down a t6 school and two t14s and removing myself from 4 t14 waitlists. My cycle isn't going nearly as well this cycle as I've only been accepted to one t14 with scattered t20 money. Though I have received full tuition scholarships to some t20s, I was waitlisted by the very t14 schools I was admitted to. Retakes and reapplying aren't a guarantee of better outcomes and I'm definitely proof of that.

Do you mind answering a couple of questions:
When you withdrew did you make it clear it was for financial reasons? What were your expectations of what you might achieve by turning down a school and then reapplying - did you assume you would be readmitted to the places that accepted you once before?
For two schools I did say it was financial. Probably acceptances or better scholarships in lower t14. My numbers improved and I had more impressive "softs" within the last year - awards, new international WE, service abroad, published work etc.

chasima

Bronze

Post by chasima » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:14 pm

<3

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”