What is a good indicator of "don't go under any circumstance" schools? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Alexandros

Platinum

Re: What is a good indicator of "don't go under any circumstance" schools?

Post by Alexandros » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:58 pm

Litt1tUp wrote:If they bombard you with unsolicited emails...
Guess that rules out Michigan.

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:43 pm

How about a school that offers a full tuition scholarship with stip of top 75% of the class?

may or may not be my situation right now..

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:59 pm

Stylnator wrote:How about a school that offers a full tuition scholarship with stip of top 75% of the class?

Stipulations are usually not a good sign, but there are reputable schools that have top 80% or 2.5 stipulations. What are the job prospects and bar passage rates from the school?

Also, ask to have the stipulation removed

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:26 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
Stylnator wrote:How about a school that offers a full tuition scholarship with stip of top 75% of the class?

Stipulations are usually not a good sign, but there are reputable schools that have top 80% or 2.5 stipulations. What are the job prospects and bar passage rates from the school?

It's not a good school, 50% employment 89% bar passage rate. Scholarship is based on a program where multiple people are admitted into it so there's no negotiation there. I looked at the schools thread from a couple years ago and apparently 35 students were disqualified from renewing their scholarship :shock:

PM for the school

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:47 pm

Stylnator wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

It's not a good school, 50% employment 89% bar passage rate. Scholarship is based on a program where multiple people are admitted into it so there's no negotiation there. I looked at the schools thread from a couple years ago and apparently 35 students were disqualified from renewing their scholarship :shock:

PM for the school
As a warning, schools that do stuff like this are known to section-stack. Meaning that all the people with large scholarships are placed in the same section and therefore on the same curve. This means that some people are essentially guaranteed to lose their scholarships and you have to compete against people with higher GPAs/LSATs than the rest of the 1L class, likely resulting in lower grades and thus lower employment prospects.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Mullens wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

PM for the school
As a warning, schools that do stuff like this are known to section-stack. Meaning that all the people with large scholarships are placed in the same section and therefore on the same curve. This means that some people are essentially guaranteed to lose their scholarships and you have to compete against people with higher GPAs/LSATs than the rest of the 1L class, likely resulting in lower grades and thus lower employment prospects.
WHAT??!! THAT SHOULD BE A CRIME

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:04 pm

Stylnator wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

PM for the school
Well, it should certainly be a sign that you shouldn't go there...

Stylnator

Silver

Post by Stylnator » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
Mullens wrote:
Stylnator wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

PM for the school
Well, it should certainly be a sign that you shouldn't go there...
It is my last choice but the offer was tempting because COA is 0. After doing more research though I've realized what a mistake I could have made. Hopefully someone sees this and take it as a warning. Look up scholarship retention people!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”