Howard Law vs. Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ferrisjso

Gold

Re: Howard Law vs. Emory

Post by Ferrisjso » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:52 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:If he's applying though I'm going to guess the 155 wasn't his first take or he took other times and didn't do as well.
Or he's one of the many people who decide they only want to take the exam once.
Possible if he decided this recently but assuming he's planned the law school thing for awhile though, I'm going to assume he gave himself time for multiple takes. I get not retaking if it means pushing back law school(I feel like I've made that very clear) but why would one not retake if they don't have to take time off(if they're not in the 160s anyway)? OP seemed like he didn't want to take the LSAT again and if it went bad the first time he should be able to improve by simple merit of knowing what to expect(nm improved studying) so I have a feeling it's because he tried multiple times and think's he's maxed out. Just my hunch, could be wrong. If he really did only take it once, even with the year off yeah I think he should seriously consider retaking because if he had a bad experience who knows how much he left on the table.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Ferrisjso wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote:If he's applying though I'm going to guess the 155 wasn't his first take or he took other times and didn't do as well.
Or he's one of the many people who decide they only want to take the exam once.
Possible if he decided this recently but assuming he's planned the law school thing for awhile though, I'm going to assume he gave himself time for multiple takes. I get not retaking if it means pushing back law school(I feel like I've made that very clear) but why would one not retake if they don't have to take time off(if they're not in the 160s anyway)? OP seemed like he didn't want to take the LSAT again and if it went bad the first time he should be able to improve by simple merit of knowing what to expect(nm improved studying) so I have a feeling it's because he tried multiple times and think's he's maxed out. Just my hunch, could be wrong. If he really did only take it once, even with the year off yeah I think he should seriously consider retaking because if he had a bad experience who knows how much he left on the table.
you may be right, but you are making a ton of assumptions my friend.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:32 am

I just have incredible difficulty coming up with a legitimate scenario where someone "can't retake."

The vast majority of people don't have a pressing need to get to law school asap.

OP has a great gpa, and I could be wrong on this, but I think by breaking even 160 could give himself a solid shot at the T14. That's not to say the T14 is necessarily the end all be all, but it seems almost universally silly to leave that option (or a full ride at a strong regional for that matter) on the table.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:54 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
WannabeLawyer95 wrote: I'm not sure what I want to do. I want to have the best career possible. I'm open to exploring different paths but I know that corporate law is pretty much a no-go for me.
I want to be in the best position to make money and be successful but also minimize debt along the way.
So what does this mean?

If you don't want to practice "corporate law", you're kind of already screwing yourself out of your second goal of making money, because most non-biglaw salaries are pretty mediocre (or just terrible, depending on how far down you go). So what are those "different paths" you think you want to explore?

But you should retake. I'm assuming that you're AA (correct me if I'm wrong), so pushing your score into the mid-to-high 160s would give you a shot at the T14, or at the very least get you a full scholarship to a flagship state school.
Thanks for the laugh.

OP, I agree with the people saying retake.

WannabeLawyer95

New

Post by WannabeLawyer95 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:55 pm

It' funny looking at this thread, now. To all those people that were lost like me and may have stumbled into this thread to figure out what they were doing:

I went to Emory. First semester was really rough. Finished with a 3.1. But I networked my ass off and applied to everything. I ended up getting a SA position at a decent size regional firm, making about 2k a week.

The people on these message boards probably have good intentions...but they really don't know which way is up either.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zil020511

New

Post by zil020511 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:48 am

WannabeLawyer95 wrote:Received a scholarship to attend Emory (30k a year. So I'd still be paying 20k).
Pros:
Better name
More ideal location
Better outcomes as far as passing the bar, etc.)

Cons:
Expensive
Not many ties in that area

Vs.

Waiting on a decision from Howard. Expecting a better scholarship tbh.

Pros:
I get to stay in my comfort zone (I'm AA)
I know a whole lot of people in the area
Probably less expensive than Emory

Cons:
Higher cost of living
May not grow as much as a person (whatever that means)
Hey where would you like to practice? If D.C. or close, I would choose Howard. If Atlanta or somewhere close, I would go Emory. If you are undecided on location, I would go Emory. That is a really good offer based on your stats. Also, you can talk to current students at both. That will give you a better idea about the culture and employment possibilities.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 pm

zil020511 wrote:
WannabeLawyer95 wrote:Received a scholarship to attend Emory (30k a year. So I'd still be paying 20k).
Pros:
Better name
More ideal location
Better outcomes as far as passing the bar, etc.)

Cons:
Expensive
Not many ties in that area

Vs.

Waiting on a decision from Howard. Expecting a better scholarship tbh.

Pros:
I get to stay in my comfort zone (I'm AA)
I know a whole lot of people in the area
Probably less expensive than Emory

Cons:
Higher cost of living
May not grow as much as a person (whatever that means)
Hey where would you like to practice? If D.C. or close, I would choose Howard. If Atlanta or somewhere close, I would go Emory. If you are undecided on location, I would go Emory. That is a really good offer based on your stats. Also, you can talk to current students at both. That will give you a better idea about the culture and employment possibilities.
This thread was started January 2017, not 2018.

Mr. Archer

Bronze

Post by Mr. Archer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:55 pm

WannabeLawyer95 wrote:It' funny looking at this thread, now. To all those people that were lost like me and may have stumbled into this thread to figure out what they were doing:

I went to Emory. First semester was really rough. Finished with a 3.1. But I networked my ass off and applied to everything. I ended up getting a SA position at a decent size regional firm, making about 2k a week.

The people on these message boards probably have good intentions...but they really don't know which way is up either.
You actually got really good advice re: retake. With your GPA and URM status, a retake would have been the smartest option. It's great you've been able to snag a good summer gig, but that doesn't negate their advice. They were looking at you reducing debt at Emory, or possibly getting into a better school and not going into as much debt at the same time. Retake advice is sometimes thrown out when it doesn't make that much sense, but this was one of the times it did.

Really try to crush this semester and 2L year (look doing an independent study class, and make sure you do some kind of mock; moot; or journal) to improve your GPA. When I was at Emory, apparently everyone got some type of A in TI:GER but ask people in it now. With URM status, all jobs are still on the table for you even with a rough start.

WannabeLawyer95

New

Post by WannabeLawyer95 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:22 am

Mr. Archer wrote:
WannabeLawyer95 wrote:It' funny looking at this thread, now. To all those people that were lost like me and may have stumbled into this thread to figure out what they were doing:

You actually got really good advice re: retake. With your GPA and URM status, a retake would have been the smartest option. It's great you've been able to snag a good summer gig, but that doesn't negate their advice. They were looking at you reducing debt at Emory, or possibly getting into a better school and not going into as much debt at the same time. Retake advice is sometimes thrown out when it doesn't make that much sense, but this was one of the times it did.

Really try to crush this semester and 2L year (look doing an independent study class, and make sure you do some kind of mock; moot; or journal) to improve your GPA. When I was at Emory, apparently everyone got some type of A in TI:GER but ask people in it now. With URM status, all jobs are still on the table for you even with a rough start.
You seem like a rationale, well-intentioned person. I appreciate you doubling down on the advice that was give to me a year ago. I was given reasonable advice. I accept the fact that maybe I took a harder route. However, I do not have any regrets about it.

My prior comment, which started the discussion again, was not posted to seek more advice; It was to show young aspiring lawyers applying to law school that, at the end of the day, things can work out for you. To that person: this forum is not the end-all-be-all.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”