Family Law / Chicago Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Johann

Diamond

Re: Family Law / Chicago

Post by Johann » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Also, it's crass but bears mentioning - The type of people that these firms hire seem to be young, attractive women almost exclusively.

anonpsanon

New

Post by anonpsanon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Update on this.

I have a full scholly from Illinois, and LUC refuses to negotiate any higher than my current offer, which will leave me with about $25k in debt at the end of the day.

Updated opinions?

More and more I feel like I want to live in Chicago during ls for proximity to networking/internships/part-time jobs, but even taking on a "small" amount of debt feels stupid when I have free options elsewhere. Kent is also cheaper than Loyola, but I'd still have about $15k debt.

journalisttolaw

New

Post by journalisttolaw » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:49 am

One thing I'd point out: Iowa City isn't rural at all. You won't see cornfields there. UIUC is literally next to a cornfield. The edge of campus touches a farm. So if that's part of your decision making, I'd suggest visiting both of them.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:29 am

trebekismyhero wrote:. I didn't read the part about OP having a S/O in chicago. That more than job prospects would tempt me to pick Loyola
You're telling someone to consider a relationship over his/her career? What? No.

OP, UIUC is highly regarded in Chicago. I'd say either UIUC or Loyola. UIUC might be harder networking wise, and require a lot more work, but if you can graduate debt-free, it's a beautiful thing.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:42 am

anonpsanon wrote:Update on this.

I have a full scholly from Illinois, and LUC refuses to negotiate any higher than my current offer, which will leave me with about $25k in debt at the end of the day.

Updated opinions?

More and more I feel like I want to live in Chicago during ls for proximity to networking/internships/part-time jobs, but even taking on a "small" amount of debt feels stupid when I have free options elsewhere. Kent is also cheaper than Loyola, but I'd still have about $15k debt.
if illinois is cheaper total COA than loyola, you have to go illinois i think. you can get to chicago from illinois for family law. but more importantly, if you dont like family law (its a very brutal practice area being in court litigation multiple times a week over childs rights and personal homes etc), illinois gives you the best possible other job prospects (or if you strike out getting a family law gig).

obviously tough because very personal decision with your SO being able to work in chicago, but illinois is my inclination.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:12 am

uiuc

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:54 am

bwaldorf wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:. I didn't read the part about OP having a S/O in chicago. That more than job prospects would tempt me to pick Loyola
You're telling someone to consider a relationship over his/her career? What? No.

OP, UIUC is highly regarded in Chicago. I'd say either UIUC or Loyola. UIUC might be harder networking wise, and require a lot more work, but if you can graduate debt-free, it's a beautiful thing.
Did you read the rest of my posts? Reading comprehension dude, I was advocating for UIUC before the full ride and I never once said to go to Loyola, that was when costs were going to be the same. Now that it is a full ride, it is a no brainer to go to UIUC. Also, ppl choose to prioritize their personal life over work all the time. That is an individual decision based on their individual priorities

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:18 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Did you read the rest of my posts? Reading comprehension dude, I was advocating for UIUC before the full ride and I never once said to go to Loyola, that was when costs were going to be the same. Now that it is a full ride, it is a no brainer to go to UIUC. Also, ppl choose to prioritize their personal life over work all the time. That is an individual decision based on their individual priorities
Relationships can be temporary. A career can be forever. Yes, it's an individual decision, but going to a significantly worse school just to be near your boyfriend or girlfriend is an absurd decision. You can make it work for three years. Once you've graduated, you have that degree forever and there's no going back if you end up wishing you'd gone to a better school because you aren't where you want to be in your career.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:49 pm

bwaldorf wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
bwaldorf wrote:

Relationships can be temporary. A career can be forever. Yes, it's an individual decision, but going to a significantly worse school just to be near your boyfriend or girlfriend is an absurd decision. You can make it work for three years. Once you've graduated, you have that degree forever and there's no going back if you end up wishing you'd gone to a better school because you aren't where you want to be in your career.

I am not going to argue with you over this. Relationships can be temporary, they can also be forever. It is an individual decision based on their own priorities and factors. I actually chose going to law school far away over my relationship because I valued my career more, but it was a tough decision and others may have made a different decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:36 pm

For the record UIUC isn't far from Chicago and they have a Chicago campus (for 3Ls, but it should be noted). Your S/O can easily drive (or train) the difference on weekends. This is an added cost, but it's not like you're going to be in San Francisco.

anonpsanon

New

Post by anonpsanon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:24 pm

alright y'all knocked out wisconsin early in the game, but i have some updated thoughts. (sorry, i know you're probably sick of me.)

boyfriend will be living on the east coast while i am in law school, so that's not a consideration anymore. (though, any advice on long distance while in law school would be appreciated...yugh.)

wisconsin upped my scholly, but still aren't offering full. at the end of the day, based on personal savings and scholarships, i'll be in $0 debt from UIUC, and about $12k debt from wisconsin.

here are what i consider to be pros from wisconsin:
1. i'd be much happier living in madison. just generally speaking, there's more to do, more people, prettier landscape, easier drive to my home suburb of chicago. i KNOW this shouldn't matter much, but it does. feel free to talk me out of it.
2. there are more opportunities for networking, clerking for the wisconsin SCOTUS, part-time work at firms, etc.
3. the class selection is much more geared towards my interests (and generally meaning i think i'd have a better time in school, which i think will positively contribute to my grades)
4. tbh it's ranked higher, which again, shouldn't really matter, but it does. based on the new projected USNWR rankings, we're talking about a 14 point difference. (30 v. 44). T30 v. T 50.
5. more accessible airport for the purpose of visiting bf
6. has a student org i'm extremely interested in that UIUC does not (but i could potentially start the org at UIUC, although who the f has the time for that)
7. seems more obviously liberal than UIUC (i am a HUGE democrat and that's important to me), but that might be unfounded

here are what i consider to be pros from UIUC:
1. free, also cheaper COL
2. WAY more connections in chicago (where i want to end up)
3. better placement overall (but i worry it's skewed by biglaw and patent law folks)
4. slightly warmer than wisconsin........
5. law school feels more separated from undergrads than at wisconsin

considering cost and employment statistics are the reason to pick a school, UIUC feels like it should be the easy choice, but somehow, i'm having a hard time committing to it. is UIUC really the right answer?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:35 pm

anonpsanon wrote:alright y'all knocked out wisconsin early in the game, but i have some updated thoughts. (sorry, i know you're probably sick of me.)

boyfriend will be living on the east coast while i am in law school, so that's not a consideration anymore. (though, any advice on long distance while in law school would be appreciated...yugh.)

wisconsin upped my scholly, but still aren't offering full. at the end of the day, based on personal savings and scholarships, i'll be in $0 debt from UIUC, and about $12k debt from wisconsin.

1. i'd be much happier living in madison. just generally speaking, there's more to do, more people, prettier landscape, easier drive to my home suburb of chicago. i KNOW this shouldn't matter much, but it does. feel free to talk me out of it.
2. there are more opportunities for networking, clerking for the wisconsin SCOTUS, part-time work at firms, etc.
3. the class selection is much more geared towards my interests (and generally meaning i think i'd have a better time in school, which i think will positively contribute to my grades)
4. tbh it's ranked higher, which again, shouldn't really matter, but it does. based on the new projected USNWR rankings, we're talking about a 14 point difference. (30 v. 44). T30 v. T 50.
6. has a student org i'm extremely interested in that UIUC does not (but i could potentially start the org at UIUC, although who the f has the time for that)
7. seems more obviously liberal than UIUC (i am a HUGE democrat and that's important to me), but that might be unfounded

3. better placement overall (but i worry it's skewed by biglaw and patent law folks)

considering cost and employment statistics are the reason to pick a school, UIUC feels like it should be the easy choice, but somehow, i'm having a hard time committing to it. is UIUC really the right answer?
If you want to be in Chicago, UIUC is 100% the right answer.

Not apples to apples because you want family law and not big law, but I think it is representative of Chicago legal market. At my firm we have maybe a couple attorneys from Wisconsin, and at least a few dozen attorneys from UIUC

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:57 pm

anonpsanon wrote:alright y'all knocked out wisconsin early in the game, but i have some updated thoughts. (sorry, i know you're probably sick of me.)

Each of your first 3 pros for UIUC likely outweigh all of your Wisconsin pros combined! And while Madison >>>>>> Champaign, I really think UIUC is the obvious choice here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pinkpanda24

Bronze

Post by Pinkpanda24 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 pm

Hope to see you at UIUC! :)

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:32 pm

go where you will be happier and get better grades. no one in chicago is going to look at wisconsin/UIUC differently. 12k is a negligible amoount of money amortized over a 30year career. ive got a few family law connects in chicago and happy to put you in touch when the time comes.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm

guybourdin wrote:

Each of your first 3 pros for UIUC likely outweigh all of your Wisconsin pros combined! And while Madison >>>>>> Champaign, I really think UIUC is the obvious choice here.

As a Wisconsinite and Badger fan, I agree, this isn't even a contest.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”