I know I have to wait a bit, but... UMich? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
S.Picquery

Silver

I know I have to wait a bit, but... UMich?

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:31 am

I know I have more factors to consider, including scholarship options, etc. But, as we are all (for the most part) in that purgatory between applying and receiving all our decisions, perhaps this may give us something to do.

1. I love UMich. Everything I've heard/seen is amazing. I love talking to Dean Z, current students, and have friends there. Plus, I got accepted like a week after I went Complete. My background is in gender and the law (I can get more specific if you want) and they have a journal for that, as well as very strong class offerings. Plus, Catherine MacKinnon teaches there (I wrote papers about her work, this is super exciting for a nerd like me).
2. I love my partner. We've been together for 7 years, will be getting married probably around the time I graduate in 2020. My partner is studying for the MCATs, and will be off to med school after we get married. I'd like my degree to allow me to be able to follow around like a puppy (even if this doesn't work out, we've done long distance for years before, but I'd like the option).
3. When all is said and done, we are likely to end up back in NYC or Atlanta for post med-school times in our lives.

Is it silly to want to go to UMich if I get into say... UChicago for travel-ability? Is it even preferable over maybe something like a full-ride to Emory if I prefer Atlanta to NYC? Is there just not enough info and I should shut up until I get real-life acceptances/scholarship offers?

It's been a long, hard road friends, and being a splitter isn't helping the anxiety (175/3.0). So, I suppose, just let me know what you think? I look forward to hearing from you all!

Clemenceau

Silver

Re: I know I have to wait a bit, but... UMich?

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:38 am

Too early. Sounds like you're off to a good start, but you gotta wait for the dust to settle before you make a commitment to choosing a law school.

Good luck.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:59 am

Totally fair. I guess it's just that liminal space between Christmas Eve and Jan 4th(ish) when the admissions folks get back to it that is making me impatient (read: completely, illogically paranoid). :lol:

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 pm

Wait for all your offers. I'd suggest looking at things that actually matter and not being swayed by good pitchmen. Law might not be the greatest field for pack up and move every couple of years portability.

It'll all work out for the best, just be patient.

CTT

Bronze

Post by CTT » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:32 pm

I loved UMich. It was a great three years. There's no difference in portability between UofC and Michigan. I agree you should wait to see how acceptances and $$$ plays out and that law is a tough field for following someone else around (you're either in a major city with big law/govt work or you need the personal/small business connections), but M Law was a truly special place. As I've gotten further from it, I've realized most people who went to law schools in big cities just never developed the same bond with their classmates/professors/school that I enjoyed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:01 am

CTT wrote:There's no difference in portability between UofC and Michigan.
That's a bit of a stretch...

It's true that Michigan won't limit your geographical choices much, but Chicago has a much stronger national reach, as well as a much stronger degree for Chicago biglaw practice. Michigan is a great school, but if the debt difference isn't too great, Chicago is the objectively better choice.

candidlatke

Bronze

Post by candidlatke » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:16 pm

UMich won't limit you but tbh the likelihood of you getting into the gpa-focused Chicago with a 3.0 is miniscule.

S.Picquery

Silver

Post by S.Picquery » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:20 pm

candidlatke wrote:UMich won't limit you but tbh the likelihood of you getting into the gpa-focused Chicago with a 3.0 is miniscule.
Totally fair. I was sorta (though VERY optimistically) hoping that they might see that there was a drastic upward trend once I finished my Physics major and began... everything else for my other majors/minors. Doubtful, but one can hope.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”