NU vs. Mich vs. Duke (chicago biglaw) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Best for chicago big law considering price?

NU (105k scholarship)
67%
Duke (120k scholarship)
8%
Michigan (120k scholarship)
24%

Total votes: 86

tlsuser242

New

Re: NU vs. Mich vs. Duke (chicago biglaw)

Post by tlsuser242 » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:32 am

Last edited by tlsuser242 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mogwli

New

Post by mogwli » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:32 pm

existentialcrisis wrote: This is dumb. There's massive overlap between clerkship a and big law. The clerkship kids almost all did SAs.

Why are we talking about SAs? I'm talking about post graduation outcomes. There's a massive overlap between clerkships and biglaw litigation, yeah totally agree never said there wasn't. If OP wants to do lit he could go 2L SA -> Clerkship -> Biglaw easily if he has the grades for it. He should if he has opportunity.

OP never mentioned he wanted to do a clerkship though, he said he just wanted Chicago biglaw. If he wants to do corporate stuff, it's kind of pointless to look at clerkship numbers because he won't be doing one. He also might not care about a clerkship even with lit because it could very likely mean relocating to another city for a year. (he mentioned significant other + family there).

Regardless, NU is the far better choice, which is what I've been saying and I think you agree with, so no idea why there is an argument here.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:43 pm

They will definitely still give you your scholarship -- they want you.

However, if you like Michigan more, that might be a fine option, too. Fit is really important if everything else is equal -- and frankly, I think that in this case, it is. I also think Michigan is fine for Chicago biglaw -- with the caveat that Chicago biglaw is not that easy to get in general.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:45 pm

I really don't see NU as the "far better" choice...Michigan is a fine school with a good reputation. Their stats are functionally similar. The biggest difference is that NU will give you more school-year networking options, but given that you have ties to Chicago and can probably come back for break, etc. that doesn't seem all that relevant.

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:54 pm

MLaw grad and junior V5 associate here. unless you have some deep idiosyncratic connection to duke, throw it out. as for the other two, the culture at Michigan and NU is very different and you should visit both campuses and talk to the professors and students to figure out which you like best. then, if you feel strongly about either school, commit to that school. if you don't feel strongly about either school, go to northwestern. NU definitely has a placement advantage in Chicago but it's not significant enough to be the deciding factor if you have a strong cultural preference for Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DaftAndDirect

Bronze

Post by DaftAndDirect » Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 pm

deleted

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”