Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Re: Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun May 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Monday wrote:
Nebby wrote:
You used Northwestern's 2015 ABA Employment stats and not the 2016 stats.

The list should look like this:

Berkeley: 19.7% (65)
NYU: 16.3% (79)
Michigan: 12.8% (42)
Chicago: 12.1% (26)
Stanford: 12% (22)
Yale: 11.3% (23)
Harvard: 10.9% (65)
UVA: 10.3% (34)
NU: 9.6% (24)
Columbia: 8.9% (35)
Penn: 7.4% (19)
Cornell: 7.1% (13)
Duke: 6.7% (15)

NU moves from 13th place to 9th in PI/Gov't.

Burneo

New

Does the number of grads working in PI mean that school is a better choice for PI work?

Post by Burneo » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:21 am

I feel like that sounds like a silly question, but I'm wondering if those T14s that don't graduate as many who are going into PI work might actually really be actively wanting more who are 100% committed. My undergrad is social work with two years working with an immigration law firm, undergrad internships with PI orgs, so my resume does prove my continuing interest in PI. I'd ideally like to work for the ACLU/SPLC/policy research orgs/similar. GPA 3.9, LSAT 172, non-URM. Trying to figure out if I should bother with Yale-and-lower PI schools and focus on Berkeley/NYU and others who send more to PI, or whether my 100% commitment to PI might make me more attractive to Yale etc. than my stats/non-URM status would otherwise justify? Hoping there are folks who can give me some insight into whether being totally committed to PI would make me more attractive to T14s that don't seem to send as many to PI. Related question -- does not sending as many to PI mean maybe there aren't as many PI opportunities at those schools? Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Does the number of grads working in PI mean that school is a better choice for PI work?

Post by Nebby » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:34 am

Burneo wrote:I feel like that sounds like a silly question, but I'm wondering if those T14s that don't graduate as many who are going into PI work might actually really be actively wanting more who are 100% committed. My undergrad is social work with two years working with an immigration law firm, undergrad internships with PI orgs, so my resume does prove my continuing interest in PI. I'd ideally like to work for the ACLU/SPLC/policy research orgs/similar. GPA 3.9, LSAT 172, non-URM. Trying to figure out if I should bother with Yale-and-lower PI schools and focus on Berkeley/NYU and others who send more to PI, or whether my 100% commitment to PI might make me more attractive to Yale etc. than my stats/non-URM status would otherwise justify? Hoping there are folks who can give me some insight into whether being totally committed to PI would make me more attractive to T14s that don't seem to send as many to PI. Related question -- does not sending as many to PI mean maybe there aren't as many PI opportunities at those schools? Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.
(1) I don't think it'll give you much of an advantage except at the margins.
(2) All T14s have plenty of PI opportunities. Some are better than others in nuanced ways. One thing that I advocate to aspiring PI law students is the value of experiential learning. Some schools (like CLS) allow you to earn up to 30 non-graded credits of experiential learning (externships, field work, clinics, etc.) (83 credits req to graduate) others offer much less.

InterLaw

Bronze

Re: Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:43 am

Silly question, but I am not an expert... Jobs in International Ogrs (like UN Legal Department or even other positions probably considered "JD advantage") are classified in stats as PI/Gov? On H website I found a reference to such employment area in the PI links, but I am not sure about it!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:48 am

InterLaw wrote:Silly question, but I am not an expert... Jobs in International Ogrs (like UN Legal Department or even other positions probably considered "JD advantage") are classified in stats as PI/Gov? On H website I found a reference to such employment area in the PI links, but I am not sure about it!
They're considered PI. Gov't is solely municipal/state/federal US gov't jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:00 am

Nebby wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Silly question, but I am not an expert... Jobs in International Ogrs (like UN Legal Department or even other positions probably considered "JD advantage") are classified in stats as PI/Gov? On H website I found a reference to such employment area in the PI links, but I am not sure about it!
Thank you! Do you have experience of guys landed in Int Orgs after Law School? I thought that probably you need some experience as practicing lawyer before getting there (if you want a lawyer job) right?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am

InterLaw wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Thank you! Do you have experience of guys landed in Int Orgs after Law School? I thought that probably you need some experience as practicing lawyer before getting there (if you want a lawyer job) right?
Depends on the school. HYSCCN students can get fellowships with a number of competitive international NGOs. But yes, if you want to work for an organization like the UN, you need a degree from a top school, exceptional experience, and a lot of luck.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:04 am

InterLaw wrote:
Nebby wrote:
I don't know of anyone who obtained entry-level jobs at the UN, unless they had background in the UN or similar organizations prior to law school. I do know a lot of CLS students who obtained summer or semester-long internships at the UN. CLS has a partnership with the UN for externships.

Basically, if you want, it's possible to obtain UN internships, so long as you go to a T14 school.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:56 am

cavalier1138 wrote: Depends on the school. HYSCCN students can get fellowships with a number of competitive international NGOs. But yes, if you want to work for an organization like the UN, you need a degree from a top school, exceptional experience, and a lot of luck.
Perfectly aware of the "luck" part, but dreaming is free...
Nebby wrote: Basically, if you want, it's possible to obtain UN internships, so long as you go to a T14 school.
That's the plan... I have a good shot, but it's conditional to the money I can get...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eck456

Bronze

Post by eck456 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:44 am

InterLaw wrote:
Nebby wrote:
It's not a silly question because it's actually crazy complicated and unfun and crazy competitive...one thing to note is that under the UN system and promotion rules (and these extend to many other organizations who take their notice from the UN) a JD isn't actually considered a masters degree since the only country that doesn't offer law degrees in undergrad (that I know of) is the US. Since you need a masters to get promoted in the UN past entry level, this means if you're serious about working in the intl governance system you need to think about pursuing either a dual degree in something like MPP, MPA in a related focus, or enroll in an LLM program (something like NU's LLM in international human rights). Otherwise even if you get a JD-required or adjacent job at one of the big international orgs, you'll be prohibited from being able to move up in it on the normal schedule.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:25 am

eck456 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
Nebby wrote:
It's not a silly question because it's actually crazy complicated and unfun and crazy competitive...one thing to note is that under the UN system and promotion rules (and these extend to many other organizations who take their notice from the UN) a JD isn't actually considered a masters degree since the only country that doesn't offer law degrees in undergrad (that I know of) is the US. Since you need a masters to get promoted in the UN past entry level, this means if you're serious about working in the intl governance system you need to think about pursuing either a dual degree in something like MPP, MPA in a related focus, or enroll in an LLM program (something like NU's LLM in international human rights). Otherwise even if you get a JD-required or adjacent job at one of the big international orgs, you'll be prohibited from being able to move up in it on the normal schedule.
I am absolutely interested in double degrees, finally I found someone who understands why! Unfortunately on this forum the general idea about double degrees is: "useless". I think it depends on what's your career path... UVA JD + JHU SAIS Master of Arts in IR is my target outcome right now!

Marvel.DC.23457

New

Post by Marvel.DC.23457 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 pm

Which law school would you attend from the list below for Big-Law /
Lay prestige, other factors, etc., etc., etc. ? I appreciate responses. Thank you.

- University of Chicago

- Harvard

- University of Pennsylvania

- Stanford

- Columbia

- New York University

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 pm

Marvel.DC.23457 wrote:Which law school would you attend from the list below for Big-Law /
Lay prestige, other factors, etc., etc., etc. ? I appreciate responses. Thank you.

- University of Chicago

- Harvard

- University of Pennsylvania

- Stanford

- Columbia

- New York University
This is the PI thread, and those are ridiculous/subjective factors.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Marvel.DC.23457

New

Post by Marvel.DC.23457 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Thank you.

Gorrest_Fump

New

Post by Gorrest_Fump » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:09 pm

I've got a fairly long LRAP question here and would appreciate TLS's collective knowledge:

Is a full-ride at a non-HYS t13 preferable to a 150k debt at HYS for a person doing PI?

Context:
I notice that non HYS t-13 schools have IBR and PSLF-linked LRAP programs. HYS, on the other hand, do not. My concern here would be to enroll at a non-HYS t-13 with a full scholly, then participate in the LRAP program, only to have politicians in DC axe PSLF and IBR, by which time my debt would have ballooned thanks to negative amortization.

I think NYU protects students from negative amortization if they choose to go into non-PI work by making a one-time payment that would bring their debt to the levels at which they would have been for a student who had enrolled in a 10-year standard repayment plan.

Career Goals: Criminal Prosecution (AUSA or State dont really care)

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:29 am

Gorrest_Fump wrote:I've got a fairly long LRAP question here and would appreciate TLS's collective knowledge:

Is a full-ride at a non-HYS t13 preferable to a 150k debt at HYS for a person doing PI?

Context:
I notice that non HYS t-13 schools have IBR and PSLF-linked LRAP programs. HYS, on the other hand, do not. My concern here would be to enroll at a non-HYS t-13 with a full scholly, then participate in the LRAP program, only to have politicians in DC axe PSLF and IBR, by which time my debt would have ballooned thanks to negative amortization.

I think NYU protects students from negative amortization if they choose to go into non-PI work by making a one-time payment that would bring their debt to the levels at which they would have been for a student who had enrolled in a 10-year standard repayment plan.

Career Goals: Criminal Prosecution (AUSA or State dont really care)
Just go to the best T13 you can on a full-ride and call it a day. Your goals are fairly modest, and you can achieve them from any of the T13.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”