Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cavalier1138

Re: Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:21 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I have never heard of anyone negotiating LRAP. I don't think it's at all plausible.
You can negotiate LRAP. Some schools have "LRAP scholarships," which are basically expanded LRAP programs that you are awarded on the front end (as an incoming student). Say the income cap is 50k, some schools have LRAP scholarships that they award to incoming students that have income caps of 100k.
Can you link to an example? Are they scholarships? Or special guarantees on your loans?

Anyway, outside of those situations, you really don't have the ability to tell Columbia, "I'll come, but only if I get a guarantee that I can receive LRAP for [x] job with [y] salary."

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Public Interest Megathread for T14s (employment data, resources, testimonials)

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:38 am

Hand wrote:Also Nebby, the Duke # for 2016 in the OP is incorrect and the link doesn't work, they have 19/224 grads in public interest or government, see https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... 2016v2.pdf

GULC has 159/610 (26.1%) for the c/o 2016, see https://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/ ... mary-2.pdf
11 + 4

I only do FT/LT PI + Gov

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:41 am

Nebby wrote:
Hand wrote:Also Nebby, the Duke # for 2016 in the OP is incorrect and the link doesn't work, they have 19/224 grads in public interest or government, see https://law.duke.edu/sites/default/file ... 2016v2.pdf

GULC has 159/610 (26.1%) for the c/o 2016, see https://www.law.georgetown.edu/careers/ ... mary-2.pdf
11 + 4

I only do FT/LT PI + Gov
ohhh ok in that case GULC has 138 it seems (22.6%)

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:35 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I have never heard of anyone negotiating LRAP. I don't think it's at all plausible.
You can negotiate LRAP. Some schools have "LRAP scholarships," which are basically expanded LRAP programs that you are awarded on the front end (as an incoming student). Say the income cap is 50k, some schools have LRAP scholarships that they award to incoming students that have income caps of 100k.
Can you link to an example? Are they scholarships? Or special guarantees on your loans?

Anyway, outside of those situations, you really don't have the ability to tell Columbia, "I'll come, but only if I get a guarantee that I can receive LRAP for [x] job with [y] salary."
Enhanced LRAP Fellowships

Several Enhanced LRAP Fellowships have been established at Columbia Law School, and are awarded to students who have demonstrated dedication to and exceptional promise for leadership in public interest law. These fellowships are designed to supplement the benefits of LRAP, and can cover as much as 100% of eligible debt service for loans borrowed up to the cost of Law School tuition for fellows whose annual income does not exceed $100,000. Fellows are selected at the time of their admission to the Law School (no separate application is necessary) and at graduation. Please contact the Social Justice Initiatives Office for more information.
http://www.law.columbia.edu/financial-a ... st-lawyers
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:45 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

Several Enhanced LRAP Fellowships have been established at Columbia Law School, and are awarded to students who have demonstrated dedication to and exceptional promise for leadership in public interest law. These fellowships are designed to supplement the benefits of LRAP, and can cover as much as 100% of eligible debt service for loans borrowed up to the cost of Law School tuition for fellows whose annual income does not exceed $100,000. Fellows are selected at the time of their admission to the Law School (no separate application is necessary) and at graduation. Please contact the Social Justice Initiatives Office for more information.
True, but they're not that much different than the 100k everyone can get with one of the combined LRAP/PAYE packages

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:49 am

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

True, but they're not that much different than the 100k everyone can get with one of the combined LRAP/PAYE packages
It's very very different. Significantly more security, more professions covered, entire loan amount paid vs. just PAYE. If you leave qualifying employment after 5 years your debt is half paid off and you don't owe anything back to CLS. If you leave the LRAP/PAYE program after 5 years, you don't owe anything back to CLS but your loan amount has ballooned and you're fucked.

Also some of these fellowships are 5 years pay-off instead of 10

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:53 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

It's very very different. Significantly more security, more professions covered, entire loan amount paid vs. just PAYE. If you leave qualifying employment after 5 years your debt is half paid off and you don't owe anything back to CLS. If you leave the LRAP/PAYE program after 5 years, you don't owe anything back to CLS but your loan amount has ballooned and you're fucked.

Did you get one or do you know anyone else with one? I have never heard of these upfront LRAP offers before.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:54 am

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:

Did you get one or do you know anyone else with one? I have never heard of these upfront LRAP offers before.
No for getting one, but also haven't asked around. Doesn't change the fact that it's still a significant LRAP boost. I do know people who received the fellowships as 3Ls

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:57 am

Yeah I know people in my class that received them as 3Ls, but that's because they applied when we were 3Ls.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:09 pm

I suspect a lot of schools with less robust LRAPs aren't going to offer something like that (doesn't Columbia already offer a couple different options?).

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I suspect a lot of schools with less robust LRAPs aren't going to offer something like that (doesn't Columbia already offer a couple different options?).
Yes they offer 3 options outside of the enhanced LRAPs

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Are clerkships helpful for PI folks? Specifically, should the clerkship placement numbers be a factor in choosing a school if I'm interested in environmental law at a nonprofit?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:08 pm

Earlskies wrote:Are clerkships helpful for PI folks? Specifically, should the clerkship placement numbers be a factor in choosing a school if I'm interested in environmental law at a nonprofit?
Clerkship placement should be a factor, but only one of many. You can gain entry-level employment in environmental law jobs from any T14. More important factors should be whether the school has good experiential, hands-on learning opportunities, financial aid considerations/LRAP, geographic location, etc. Here's some literature for you to review to gain a better understanding of careers in environmental law: https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... Public.pdf

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:35 pm

Nebby wrote:
Earlskies wrote:Are clerkships helpful for PI folks? Specifically, should the clerkship placement numbers be a factor in choosing a school if I'm interested in environmental law at a nonprofit?
Clerkship placement should be a factor, but only one of many. You can gain entry-level employment in environmental law jobs from any T14. More important factors should be whether the school has good experiential, hands-on learning opportunities, financial aid considerations/LRAP, geographic location, etc. Here's some literature for you to review to gain a better understanding of careers in environmental law: https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... Public.pdf
Is geographic location a big concern when we start talking about t-13/14/whateveritscallednow?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:37 pm

Earlskies wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Is geographic location a big concern when we start talking about t-13/14/whateveritscallednow?
Not a huge concern but one factor to consider. If I wanted to work in California, I'd choose Berkeley over NYU, for instance.

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Nebby wrote:
Earlskies wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Not a huge concern but one factor to consider. If I wanted to work in California, I'd choose Berkeley over NYU, for instance.
Gotcha. Also thanks for the above resource.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Nebby wrote: careers in environmental law: https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... Public.pdf
Yo, Nebby. Does Yale have more of these awesome career guides for other fields of law. If so, could you point me to the page where they are all located? I searched around for a bit on the YLS website but couldn't seem to find them.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:32 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Nebby wrote: careers in environmental law: https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... Public.pdf
Yo, Nebby. Does Yale have more of these awesome career guides for other fields of law. If so, could you point me to the page where they are all located? I searched around for a bit on the YLS website but couldn't seem to find them.
Good Guy Greg CLS compiled them all here: http://www.law.columbia.edu/social-just ... blications

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am

Now that all the data is out I'll update this once work dies down

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:33 am

Nebby wrote: Columbia Law School
CLS has tons of opportunities for out-of-classroom learning experiences. Up to 21 30 credit hours at CLS can be non-graded credits, which means that you can take up to 21 30 hours of clinics, externships, and fieldwork. In addition, CLS offers a full-time, semester-long externship in the federal government in Washington, DC, and it also offers human rights semesters abroad. SPIN (Student Public Interest Network) is the main PI student organization where PI students of all goals can socialize and meet fellow students.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:52 am

DCfilterDC wrote:
CLS has tons of opportunities for out-of-classroom learning experiences. Up to 21 30 credit hours at CLS can be non-graded credits, which means that you can take up to 21 30 hours of clinics, externships, and fieldwork. In addition, CLS offers a full-time, semester-long externship in the federal government in Washington, DC, and it also offers human rights semesters abroad. SPIN (Student Public Interest Network) is the main PI student organization where PI students of all goals can socialize and meet fellow students.
Damn, that's new, right? That's awesome! 30 hours is so much! This is great news for anyone who wants to gain a lot of hands-on experience in law school

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:07 pm

Nebby wrote:Now that all the data is out I'll update this once work dies down
Apologies this is taking so long. Work hasn't slowed!

TheKisSquared

Silver

Post by TheKisSquared » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:10 pm

Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Damn, that's new, right? That's awesome! 30 hours is so much! This is great news for anyone who wants to gain a lot of hands-on experience in law school
Do HP/P/F classes count as 'ungraded'? (eg LPW/Moot courts)

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:15 pm

TheKisSquared wrote:
Nebby wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Do HP/P/F classes count as 'ungraded'? (eg LPW/Moot courts)
No they don't count towards the 30. Even credit/no credit (reading groups) don't count towards the 30. Journal work/RA'ing/TA'ing/externship/clinic count towards the 30, basically anything that's not an actual class
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Sun May 07, 2017 1:15 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”