deleted Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mayorscurvy

New

deleted

Post by mayorscurvy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Deleted
Last edited by mayorscurvy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: Cornell v. Colorado

Post by existentialcrisis » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:30 pm

mayorscurvy wrote:Hey all,

I am lucky enough to be able to attend either Cornell or Colorado without taking out any loans, only debt will come from CoL. My goals are relatively fluid, though I think I would like to land a job in Colorado or the PNW perhaps once its all said and done (long down the road, not immediately) and I'm not particularly dead set on NYC big law. So if I want a good job in Colorado, would it be better to take the in-state option with CU? Or will the flexibility of Cornell be more valuable long term? How portable is Cornell?
Are you from Colorado? Do you want big law? If so, would you prefer working in NYC big law to a small firm in Colorado, or Colorado state government? Or is working in Colorado your top priority?

deepseapartners

Bronze

Post by deepseapartners » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:41 pm

Based on the information you provided, you should 100% go to Cornell over Colorado, unless:
a. You are absolutely dead-set on only working in the state of Colorado;
b. You have no ties to that particular legal market; and
c. You have no interest in a legal job that may require a more prestigious law school on your resume (e.g., A3 clerking).
Otherwise, you will get so much flexibility with a nearly-free trip to an Ivy law school that it's totally worth it. Congrats on your options, choose wisely!

mayorscurvy

New

Post by mayorscurvy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:56 pm

deleted
Last edited by mayorscurvy on Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stretchedtoothin

Bronze

Post by stretchedtoothin » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:06 pm

Cornell is the right choice then (barring a retake and getting HYS or something), for all of the reasons aforementioned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fliptrip

Gold

Post by fliptrip » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Fellow Coloradan here...

This is basically a job vs. location choice. Whichever one of those you put first will dictate where you go to school. Denver isn't exactly a hotbed of fancy biglaw jobs and those that are here seem to go by and large to CU and DU grads, but I think it's certainly possible to get it with ties and having Cornell. If you had HYS, I think you'd be all set. I don't think Cornell has that much pull here, so I think there's a chance it doesn't work. If you absolutely want to do biglaw, you gotta choose Cornell but be willing to accept not doing it in Colorado.

If you absolutely want to be in Colorado, then CU is a fine choice and should get you something decent.

Sounds like you aren't Colorado or bust, so I think this is Cornell.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I go to a Cornell peer school and have a friend who was able to do what you want to do. If you're from Colorado, you should go to Cornell and then work in Colorado for your 1L summer and network during the summer.

mayorscurvy

New

Post by mayorscurvy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:30 pm

d

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”