Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TheProdigal

Silver

Re: Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess

Post by TheProdigal » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Biglaw1990 wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:
Effingham wrote: Something's up with WUSTL there too.
Nice catch. Was in WUSTL's favor, too.

Columbia's federal clerkship rate is incorrect. It's 5.57% (23/413)
Fixed. At least I hedged my bets on most of them being right.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:53 pm

Nice job so far, Nebby. Are you still gonna add the government info?

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:58 pm

Great spreadsheet TheProdigal.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:29 pm

zot1 wrote:Nice job so far, Nebby. Are you still gonna add the government info?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=262810

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Nebby wrote:
zot1 wrote:Nice job so far, Nebby. Are you still gonna add the government info?
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=262810
Cool, thanks. I had clearly missed the memo!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pittsburghpirates

Silver

Post by pittsburghpirates » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:14 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Great spreadsheet TheProdigal.
+1 thanks for putting together!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:23 am

Okay, I was not originally part of this anti-GULC circlejerk, but if I'm reading this right, nearly 20% of last year's grads were unemployed/underemployed, and on top of that 14% were in school funded positions? So basically 1/3 of GULC grads didn't have legitimate employment 10 months after graduation?

:shock:

Am I missing something here?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:54 am

DCfilterDC wrote:Okay, I was not originally part of this anti-GULC circlejerk, but if I'm reading this right, nearly 20% of last year's grads were unemployed/underemployed, and on top of that 14% were in school funded positions? So basically 1/3 of GULC grads didn't have legitimate employment 10 months after graduation?

Looks like it. That's pretty bad.

speed_the_loot

New

Post by speed_the_loot » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Last edited by speed_the_loot on Wed May 25, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Roundhill

New

Post by Roundhill » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:57 pm

zot1 wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:Okay, I was not originally part of this anti-GULC circlejerk, but if I'm reading this right, nearly 20% of last year's grads were unemployed/underemployed, and on top of that 14% were in school funded positions? So basically 1/3 of GULC grads didn't have legitimate employment 10 months after graduation?

A large chunk of that 1/3 of the class probably paid sticker too; as someone pointed out, GULC is not very generous when it comes to scholarships.

tsujimoto74

Bronze

Post by tsujimoto74 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Roundhill wrote:
zot1 wrote:

A large chunk of that 1/3 of the class probably paid sticker too; as someone pointed out, GULC is not very generous when it comes to scholarships.
They also take a boatload of transfers, who are presumably paying sticker for their 2 years there.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:33 pm

tsujimoto74 wrote:
Roundhill wrote:
zot1 wrote:

They also take a boatload of transfers, who are presumably paying sticker for their 2 years there.
2 years of sticker at over 200k! WHY?!?!?! :shock: especially when they probably have good grades and $$$$ at the school they're coming from

seagan823

Bronze

Post by seagan823 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:30 pm

Anyone know where to get more details on school funded positions and what they mean? I know some are bridge programs that may yield long term PI jobs for those actually interested in that type of work but missed out on a DA/PD office/skadden/EJW, yet still have legitimate PI resumes. I know another kid from Duke who basically missed OCI and was doing administrative work for Duke law and is now doing contract/doc review work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:37 pm

Roundhill wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Nah, that hasn't been accurate for at least a few years. Most folks I know were able to get a reasonable amount of money out of GULC; the school just isn't forthcoming about scholarship money until you ask for it.

I think the increase in transfers is due in large part to the more recent increase in available scholarship money, so it's just a gigantic exercise in juking the stats: throw more money at applicants to boost incoming medians; pull in unconscionable amounts of transfers to pay sticker and subsidize the scholarships of the next incoming class. From what I can tell, most of the transfers seem to do fine for post grad employment, since they were probably high-achieving to begin with, so the ones really taking it on the chin are the kids who just squeak by to get into the school (probably with little merit aid, if any), then perform poorly in 1L and fail to land decent jobs. GULC is not serving the bottom half of the class very well at all.

The thing to remember with GULC—and I'll get flamed for this, because this board can't see past its biglaw blinders—the BL+FC numbers don't tell the whole story. Beyond just the general PI-focus of a larger percentage of the class (in line with Berkeley, which has similarly low BL #'s) GULC puts way more people into government jobs than any other school, and considering how many of those are BigFed jobs, those are excellent outcomes. We do plenty of PI as well, though it's harder to quantify the quality of those jobs. The only truly damning numbers in the GULC camp are the decrease in full time JD-required jobs overall, and the expanding class size, which is the reason so many kids get left behind.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:51 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
Roundhill wrote:
zot1 wrote:

Nah, that hasn't been accurate for at least a few years. Most folks I know were able to get a reasonable amount of money out of GULC; the school just isn't forthcoming about scholarship money until you ask for it.

I think the increase in transfers is due in large part to the more recent increase in available scholarship money, so it's just a gigantic exercise in juking the stats: throw more money at applicants to boost incoming medians; pull in unconscionable amounts of transfers to pay sticker and subsidize the scholarships of the next incoming class. From what I can tell, most of the transfers seem to do fine for post grad employment, since they were probably high-achieving to begin with, so the ones really taking it on the chin are the kids who just squeak by to get into the school (probably with little merit aid, if any), then perform poorly in 1L and fail to land decent jobs. GULC is not serving the bottom half of the class very well at all.

The thing to remember with GULC—and I'll get flamed for this, because this board can't see past its biglaw blinders—the BL+FC numbers don't tell the whole story. Beyond just the general PI-focus of a larger percentage of the class (in line with Berkeley, which has similarly low BL #'s) GULC puts way more people into government jobs than any other school, and considering how many of those are BigFed jobs, those are excellent outcomes. We do plenty of PI as well, though it's harder to quantify the quality of those jobs. The only truly damning numbers in the GULC camp are the decrease in full time JD-required jobs overall, and the expanding class size, which is the reason so many kids get left behind.
Yes, TLS creates a terrible optic by only reporting corporate or corporate-proxy work. I don't think anyone on here honestly thinks that the only students with normatively or qualitatively "good" outcomes are those going to firms, and everyone knows many of the best and most competitive jobs fall outside those categories on the ABA questionnaire. The problem with this criticism as it pertains to any particular school, though, is the assumption that Georgetown (and Berkeley, and Michigan), are better than other schools at placing into federal government and legitimate public interest jobs; that's the only way a coherent defence of their lower numbers holds up. And I'm doubtful of the veracity of that assumption. Yes, there are cultural differences that have some explanatory force (like UPenn and Chicago are more traditionally private-sector focused), but those generalisations can't do all the work.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:24 pm

The problem with GULC isn't the biglaw percentage per se. It's the nearly 200 ppl from that class that don't have biglaw jobs OR good government jobs. Berkeley and Michigan aren't guilty of straight-up unemployment/underemployment like that.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:52 pm

Glasseyes wrote:
Roundhill wrote: A large chunk of that 1/3 of the class probably paid sticker too; as someone pointed out, GULC is not very generous when it comes to scholarships.
According to their 2015 509 1,111 students (56.5%) paid sticker and an additional 596 (30.3%, or 70% of students who received any scholarship money!) paid over half tuition (inc. living expenses is likely over $150,000 in debt).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SirArthurDayne

Gold

Post by SirArthurDayne » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:21 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Roundhill wrote: A large chunk of that 1/3 of the class probably paid sticker too; as someone pointed out, GULC is not very generous when it comes to scholarships.
According to their 2015 509 1,111 students (56.5%) paid sticker and an additional 596 (30.3%, or 70% of students who received any scholarship money!) paid over half tuition (inc. living expenses is likely over $150,000 in debt).
Fuck that!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:21 pm

At this point, I don't think even Andy Cornblatt could defend GULC with a straight face. It's always fun to read people try though.

eta: Lulz:
http://tippingthescales.com/2013/11/geo ... aw-school/

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:42 pm

any idea when LST will update their site?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:50 pm

BigZuck wrote:At this point, I don't think even Andy Cornblatt could defend GULC with a straight face. It's always fun to read people try though.

At this point, I almost admire GULC for its moxie. Employment placement be damned—GULC is just going to keep admitting more students and charging more tuition, all while maintaining its "T14" status. GULC is so secure that it doesn't care what the critics think. It's like that scene in The Wire where Marlo shoplifts candy from the convenience store while staring down the store's security guard.

We want it to be one way, but it's the other way.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Have I missed any schools above 10%?

Glasseyes

Silver

Post by Glasseyes » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:10 pm

guybourdin wrote:
Glasseyes wrote:
Oof. I stand corrected and deeply grateful to everyone subsidizing my education.

Clemenceau

Silver

Post by Clemenceau » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 pm

rpupkin wrote:
BigZuck wrote:At this point, I don't think even Andy Cornblatt could defend GULC with a straight face. It's always fun to read people try though.

At this point, I almost admire GULC for its moxie. Employment placement be damned—GULC is just going to keep admitting more students and charging more tuition, all while maintaining its "T14" status. GULC is so secure that it doesn't care what the critics think. It's like that scene in The Wire where Marlo shoplifts candy from the convenience store while staring down the store's security guard.

We want it to be one way, but it's the other way.
Great post. 180

raven1231

Bronze

Post by raven1231 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:38 pm

Nebby wrote:Have I missed any schools above 10%?
Case is 13% and University of Cincinnati 15% I think. So nothing worth posting really.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”