Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Manali

Bronze

Re: Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:35 pm

I went to BC, withdrew, and transferred to Drexel with $. Saving a lot of $ by living with family in the area. Really happy with my decision. USNWR rankings are bullshit.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:38 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote: So you went to BC, and dropped out or something? I don't want to have to creep your posts to solve this mystery
If you really care then pm. Stop posting ITT

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Mods plz
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mogwli

New

Post by mogwli » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:40 pm

Manali wrote: I don't rate the success of a school by how many people get big law. BC is not "objectively better" if you're aiming for government/public interest, especially since they are so stingy with scholarship money.
BC placed more kids into Public interest work than Drexel did. In fact Drexel didn't place ANYONE into Public interest work (they placed 1 short term part time, which I am not counting). So your point is very wrong about that.

BC also placed more kids into government jobs than Drexel did. (although as a portion of the class, yes smaller. But BARELY smaller 10% vs. 9.3%)

BC did this while also placing 40%+ of their class in biglaw and federal clerkships.

I'm sorry but this has to be a flame post because there is just no argument that Drexel is the better choice unless you make the assumption that you only care about the PA legal market.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:43 pm

Manali wrote:I applied for the Philly PD with BC on my resume for the EJW Conference and Career Fair in 2014. Not even a screener. I applied for them this spring and got an offer, with Drexel on my resume. Ranking is not everything.
Were these for the same kind of position - that is, were they both for summer student positions?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:45 pm

Manali wrote:
I applied for the Philly PD with BC on my resume for the EJW Conference and Career Fair in 2014. Not even a screener. I applied for them this spring and got an offer, with Drexel on my resume. Ranking is not everything.
Please stop. Please.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:51 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:I applied for the Philly PD with BC on my resume for the EJW Conference and Career Fair in 2014. Not even a screener. I applied for them this spring and got an offer, with Drexel on my resume. Ranking is not everything.
Were these for the same kind of position - that is, were they both for summer student positions?
No.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
No.
Yeah, that's the difference, not school reputation or rank.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:55 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
No.
Yeah, that's the difference, not school reputation or rank.
I don't understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:56 pm

The criteria for hiring a student for an unpaid summer position are very different for hiring someone for a permanent post-grad position (which is what the EJW jobs usually are, right?).

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:58 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The criteria for hiring a student for an unpaid summer position are very different for hiring someone for a permanent post-grad position (which is what the EJW jobs usually are, right?).
Philly PD recruits at EJW for summer positions.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:59 pm

Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:The criteria for hiring a student for an unpaid summer position are very different for hiring someone for a permanent post-grad position (which is what the EJW jobs usually are, right?).
You have much higher grades then you did at BC... seems to explain why you got a screener

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:00 pm

Manali wrote:
But that's not what you were applying for, right? You were applying for a post-grad job from EJW while at BC. And a summer student position while at Drexel.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:02 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
But that's not what you were applying for, right? You were applying for a post-grad job from EJW while at BC. And a summer student position while at Drexel.
I'm not working at the Philly PD this summer.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:03 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Manali wrote:
You have much higher grades then you did at BC... seems to explain why you got a screener
Grades did not come out until January 2016. Screener was in October 2015.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
The offer you're referring to, is it for the summer or postgraduate?
Last edited by Nebby on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:05 pm

Manali wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Manali wrote:
So you had bad grades at BC, and they didn't know your grades yet at Drexel? A ton of 1Ls from random schools get PD summer positions, unfortunately few translate into actual employment.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:06 pm

Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
Okay, you need to STOP right now. If you want to bring up that Drexel is all better than BC because Drexel got you the vaunted screener that BC didn't get you, you need to acknowledge that it's because the two applications were for different kinds of jobs. Don't respond to questions that weren't asked - I never said you were working at the Philly PD, I was talking about the two applications you said you submitted.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:07 pm

Manali wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:
Manali wrote:Drexel:

http://drexel.edu/law/career/statistics ... 0Outcomes/

101/141 (~72%) in FTLT JD required/JD advantage positions 10 months after graduation. Not bad for a school that's been around for only a decade.
Also known as 83/141 in JD-required, or 58.87%.

And 4.3% biglaw+fedclerk. Almost 10% unemployed. Nearly 8% underemployed.

With a rough average of a degree costing 120k.

You may want to rejig your definition of "not bad."
Drexel is a solid option if you go for cheap. I received a scholarship and am staying with family-have almost no living expenses. My career options here are much better than they were at BC.
I'm glad things are working out for you there
I got an offer from the Philly PD with Drexel on my resume. With BC on my resume, I did not even get a screener.
I'm confused. Did you apply to the Philly PD twice - once with Drexel and once with BC on your resume? Real question: Do you receive government disability benefits?
I applied for the Philly PD with BC on my resume for the EJW Conference and Career Fair in 2014. Not even a screener. I applied for them this spring and got an offer, with Drexel on my resume. Ranking is not everything.
So you applied for a local Pennsylvania PI position with a Boston school on your resume and didn't get looked at, but when you applied for the same local position from a local school, you got it? I can't imagine why that would have happened unless Drexel is clearly the superior school. It clearly has nothing to do with geography.

Incidentally, did you bother applying to any Massachusetts PD offices from BC?

Edit: Never mind. I didn't realize you were literally talking about two different types of employment.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:09 pm

Manali wrote:
Lincoln wrote:
Manali wrote:
Nearly 72% of the class of 2015 is in a FTLT JD required or JD advantage job, which is not bad for a school that's been around 10 years. The reason most grads remain in PA/NJ is largely self-selection, not because the school does a poor job of marketing itself to other legal markets. I know of a Drexel grad who works as an ADA in one of the NYC DA's offices. Getting a job outside PA/NJ is certainly not unheard of. The Tom Kline money is really helping Drexel become an up and coming school in the area.
I know of a college-dropout who became the richest man in the world.

I also know of a First Amendment Ivy League law professor who graduated from Loyola L.A.

Now read your post again and try to understand why it's ridiculous. And then please take this Drexel cheerleading to someplace where it's relevant.
I'm just saying that most grads stay in PA/NJ because of self-selection. However, Drexel has grads as far away as Washington and California. It has a respected name.
Just because they named the school after a second tier 1990's NBA star doesn't make it well-respected

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:13 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Manali wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Manali wrote:
This wasn't for summer employment.

So you had bad grades at BC, and they didn't know your grades yet at Drexel? A ton of 1Ls from random schools get PD summer positions, unfortunately few translate into actual employment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
ETA: I didn't get even a summer position with BC on my resume.

Neither.
Last edited by Manali on Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:15 pm

Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
Neither.
So externship during the school year?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
Neither.
Is this some sort of riddle?

"I neither a summer not post-graduate offer be,
But in my depths, I'm a true pedigree.
What am I?"

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:17 pm

Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Manali wrote:
No.

Neither.
So externship during the school year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”