Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cron1834

Gold

Re: Class of 2015 Employment Statistics by School: #TrustTheProcess

Post by cron1834 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:37 am

Clemenceau wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
BigZuck wrote:At this point, I don't think even Andy Cornblatt could defend GULC with a straight face. It's always fun to read people try though.

eta: Lulz:
http://tippingthescales.com/2013/11/geo ... aw-school/
At this point, I almost admire GULC for its moxie. Employment placement be damned—GULC is just going to keep admitting more students and charging more tuition, all while maintaining its "T14" status. GULC is so secure that it doesn't care what the critics think. It's like that scene in The Wire where Marlo shoplifts candy from the convenience store while staring down the store's security guard.

We want it to be one way, but it's the other way.
Great post. 180
Agree.

krads153

Silver

Post by krads153 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:38 am

cron1834 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
BigZuck wrote:At this point, I don't think even Andy Cornblatt could defend GULC with a straight face. It's always fun to read people try though.

At this point, I almost admire GULC for its moxie. Employment placement be damned—GULC is just going to keep admitting more students and charging more tuition, all while maintaining its "T14" status. GULC is so secure that it doesn't care what the critics think. It's like that scene in The Wire where Marlo shoplifts candy from the convenience store while staring down the store's security guard.

Great post. 180
Agree.
Is it because GULC is subsidizing the rest of the university or something? Georgetown is a liberal arts focused school (haven't heard of them for sciences at all really) and maybe that's why (limited sources of funding for research, etc.) ? It just seems perplexing to me that they don't seem to GAF at all about employment.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Drexel:

http://drexel.edu/law/career/statistics ... 0Outcomes/

101/141 (~72%) in FTLT JD required/JD advantage positions 10 months after graduation. Not bad for a school that's been around for only a decade.

kingpin101

Bronze

Post by kingpin101 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:22 pm

krads153 wrote:
cron1834 wrote:
Clemenceau wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Great post. 180
Agree.
Is it because GULC is subsidizing the rest of the university or something? Georgetown is a liberal arts focused school (haven't heard of them for sciences at all really) and maybe that's why (limited sources of funding for research, etc.) ? It just seems perplexing to me that they don't seem to GAF at all about employment.
Georgetown as a whole has a really low endowment relative to its peers, so that might be a reason.

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:39 pm

Manali wrote:Drexel:

101/141 (~72%) in FTLT JD required/JD advantage positions 10 months after graduation. Not bad for a school that's been around for only a decade.
Also known as 83/141 in JD-required, or 58.87%.

And 4.3% biglaw+fedclerk. Almost 10% unemployed. Nearly 8% underemployed.

With a rough average of a degree costing 120k.

You may want to rejig your definition of "not bad."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:45 pm

TheProdigal wrote:

Drexel is a solid option if you go for cheap. I received a scholarship and am staying with family-have almost no living expenses. My career options here are much better than they were at BC.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:05 pm

Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

Drexel is a solid option if you go for cheap. I received a scholarship and am staying with family-have almost no living expenses. My career options here are much better than they were at BC.
I'm glad things are working out for you there

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:06 pm

Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I got an offer from the Philly PD with Drexel on my resume. With BC on my resume, I did not even get a screener.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:08 pm

Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I got an offer from the Philly PD with Drexel on my resume. With BC on my resume, I did not even get a screener.
I don't doubt you. I'm genuinely glad you're doing well

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mogwli

New

Post by mogwli » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Manali wrote: I got an offer from the Philly PD with Drexel on my resume. With BC on my resume, I did not even get a screener.

Like ^ I am glad you are doing well, but I really don't think you can make your own personal experience the general comparison. BC doesn't place that well in Philly clearly, but it is very understandable that it doesn't since it really markets itself as a Boston/NYC oriented school. So it's likely that you get more Philly things from Drexel than you would at BC, just because more people there know about Drexel. Drexel wouldn't get you anything at all in Boston or NYC or CA. BC would at least get your foot in the door in NYC (where 35 kids went this year) and potentially CA if you are really lucky (6 went).

Also, while I am happy it is working well for you, I'd never advise anyone to go to Drexel unless it was entirely for free. Just a little more than half the class is graduating into full time jobs as lawyers (FTLT bar passage required). So slightly better than a coin flip's chance that you become a lawyer after graduating.

So again, while I'm happy it is working out for you, your experience at BC is not at all indicative of the general trend nor the the general hiring experience given these pretty objective numbers.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:23 pm

mogwli wrote:
Manali wrote: I got an offer from the Philly PD with Drexel on my resume. With BC on my resume, I did not even get a screener.

Like ^ I am glad you are doing well, but I really don't think you can make your own personal experience the general comparison. BC doesn't place that well in Philly clearly, but it is very understandable that it doesn't since it really markets itself as a Boston/NYC oriented school. So it's likely that you get more Philly things from Drexel than you would at BC, just because more people there know about Drexel. Drexel wouldn't get you anything at all in Boston or NYC or CA. BC would at least get your foot in the door in NYC (where 35 kids went this year) and potentially CA if you are really lucky (6 went).

Also, while I am happy it is working well for you, I'd never advise anyone to go to Drexel unless it was entirely for free. Just a little more than half the class is graduating into full time jobs as lawyers (FTLT bar passage required). So slightly better than a coin flip's chance that you become a lawyer after graduating.

So again, while I'm happy it is working out for you, your experience at BC is not at all indicative of the general trend nor the the general hiring experience given these pretty objective numbers.
+1

TheProdigal

Silver

Post by TheProdigal » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:24 pm

Nebby wrote:
mogwli wrote:

+1
Just got off of work, and y'all beat me to it. Agreed on all points.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:51 pm

mogwli wrote:

Nearly 72% of the class of 2015 is in a FTLT JD required or JD advantage job, which is not bad for a school that's been around 10 years. The reason most grads remain in PA/NJ is largely self-selection, not because the school does a poor job of marketing itself to other legal markets. I know of a Drexel grad who works as an ADA in one of the NYC DA's offices. Getting a job outside PA/NJ is certainly not unheard of. The Tom Kline money is really helping Drexel become an up and coming school in the area.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:05 pm

Manali wrote:Nearly 72% 59% of the class of 2015 is in a FTLT JD required or JD advantage job, which is not bad for a school that's been around 10 years.
Stop twisting the statistics like you twist everything else to suit you.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:12 pm

cannibal ox wrote:
Manali wrote:Nearly 72% 59% of the class of 2015 is in a FTLT JD required or JD advantage job, which is not bad for a school that's been around 10 years.
Why is a JD advantage job such as Compliance a bad outcome?

I think the employment stats are more impressive than BC's, especially considering that the school has not been around that long. Clearly the Tom Kline money is doing some good. In addition, Drexel increased its LSAT and GPA medians, unlike BC, which has been plummeting.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Manali wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:

I think the employment stats are more impressive than BC's, especially considering that the school has not been around that long. Clearly the Tom Kline money is doing some good. In addition, Drexel increased its LSAT and GPA medians, unlike BC, which has been plummeting.
I'm just an 0L so I could be wrong, but the reason Those jobs don't count is because JD advantage outcomes range from shitty all the way up to OK....

Unless you're at a T6 school that is.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:18 pm

Manali wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:

Can you hop off this anti-BC thing? It's getting out of hand. You hated it, and had a bad experience there. But it objectively offers better outcomes than Drexel. Why don't you just focus on your life and your professional development, and not your hate for BC?
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:26 pm

Manali wrote:
Nearly 72% of the class of 2015 is in a FTLT JD required or JD advantage job, which is not bad for a school that's been around 10 years. The reason most grads remain in PA/NJ is largely self-selection, not because the school does a poor job of marketing itself to other legal markets. I know of a Drexel grad who works as an ADA in one of the NYC DA's offices. Getting a job outside PA/NJ is certainly not unheard of. The Tom Kline money is really helping Drexel become an up and coming school in the area.
I know of a college-dropout who became the richest man in the world.

I also know of a First Amendment Ivy League law professor who graduated from Loyola L.A.

Now read your post again and try to understand why it's ridiculous. And then please take this Drexel cheerleading to someplace where it's relevant.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:26 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
Manali wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:

Can you hop off this anti-BC thing? It's getting out of hand. You hated it, and had a bad experience there. But it objectively offers better outcomes than Drexel. Why don't you just focus on your life and your professional development, and not your hate for BC?
I don't rate the success of a school by how many people get big law. BC is not "objectively better" if you're aiming for government/public interest, especially since they are so stingy with scholarship money.

mogwli

New

Post by mogwli » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:27 pm

Manali wrote:

When you work in a JD advantage job, you are most likely not a lawyer. Nor are you likely to ever then become a lawyer and move into any clerkship/firm job. Since the goal of most law students is to become a lawyer, I'm hesitant to ever include that in any employment statistic comparison. I love seeings grads employed in any capacity vs. unemployed, but it's not the ideal outcome for anyone who enters law school (no one spends 3 years in law school + debt to become a contracts administrator, for example). FTLT J.D. required is a better category to see the health of a law schools employment placement.

As far a school being on the up and up, Drexel's FTLT bar passage required actually went DOWN this year ( -3 from last year), while J.D. Advantage went UP (+8 from last year). Not a good sign. They are improving over the past few years in several categories though, which I am happy to see. The reality is that it won't be a "good" choice for someone without a full ride for several years to come at least.

That is without even getting into biglaw/fed clerkship, although I don't think that's really applicable since people going to Drexel probably aren't looking for that.

UCI is the example of a new school in the past decade that is a success, not Drexel. Even within PA, I would argue Villanova and Temple are better law schools to go to over Drexel (not even counting Penn).

Again, I am really happy it's worked out for you. I just hesitate calling Drexel a solid choice for any potential students without fullride/significant scholarships.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:28 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Manali wrote:
I know of a college-dropout who became the richest man in the world.

I also know of a First Amendment Ivy League law professor who graduated from Loyola L.A.

Now read your post again and try to understand why it's ridiculous. And then please take this Drexel cheerleading to someplace where it's relevant.
I'm just saying that most grads stay in PA/NJ because of self-selection. However, Drexel has grads as far away as Washington and California. It has a respected name.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:29 pm

Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I'm confused. Did you apply to the Philly PD twice - once with Drexel and once with BC on your resume? Real question: Do you receive government disability benefits?

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:29 pm

mogwli wrote:
Manali wrote:

When you work in a JD advantage job, you are most likely not a lawyer. Nor are you likely to ever then become a lawyer and move into any clerkship/firm job. Since the goal of most law students is to become a lawyer, I'm hesitant to ever include that in any employment statistic comparison. I love seeings grads employed in any capacity vs. unemployed, but it's not the ideal outcome for anyone who enters law school (no one spends 3 years in law school + debt to become a contracts administrator, for example). FTLT J.D. required is a better category to see the health of a law schools employment placement.

As far a school being on the up and up, Drexel's FTLT bar passage required actually went DOWN this year ( -3 from last year), while J.D. Advantage went UP (+8 from last year). Not a good sign. They are improving over the past few years in several categories though, which I am happy to see. The reality is that it won't be a "good" choice for someone without a full ride for several years to come at least.

That is without even getting into biglaw/fed clerkship, although I don't think that's really applicable since people going to Drexel probably aren't looking for that.

UCI is the example of a new school in the past decade that is a success, not Drexel. Even within PA, I would argue Villanova and Temple are better law schools to go to over Drexel (not even counting Penn).

Again, I am really happy it's worked out for you. I just hesitate calling Drexel a solid choice for any potential students without fullride/significant scholarships.
I'm not arguing that anyone should go to Drexel without a scholarship. That would be a mistake, in my mind.

Manali

Bronze

Post by Manali » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:30 pm

Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I'm confused. Did you apply to the Philly PD twice - once with Drexel and once with BC on your resume? Real question: Do you receive government disability benefits?
I applied for the Philly PD with BC on my resume for the EJW Conference and Career Fair in 2014. Not even a screener. I applied for them this spring and got an offer, with Drexel on my resume. Ranking is not everything.

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:33 pm

Manali wrote:
Iwanttolawschool wrote:
Manali wrote:
Nebby wrote:
Manali wrote:
TheProdigal wrote:

I applied for the Philly PD with BC on my resume for the EJW Conference and Career Fair in 2014. Not even a screener. I applied for them this spring and got an offer, with Drexel on my resume. Ranking is not everything.
So you went to BC, and dropped out or something? I don't want to have to creep your posts to solve this mystery

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”