Virginia vs Michigan Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Bluelizard

New

Virginia vs Michigan

Post by Bluelizard » Wed May 27, 2015 8:32 pm

-The schools you are considering
Virginia and Michigan. I put a deposit down at Virginia and just got an offer off of the wait list from Michigan.

-The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
I have a 150k scholarship from Michigan so the CoA for Michigan would be approximately 85k. I have a 120k scholarship from Virginia so the CoA for Virginia would be approximately 121k.

-How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Mostly loans.

-Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
I'm from the Southwest but I'm not sure where I want to end up.

-Your general career goals
Public interest, and quite possibly criminal.

-Your LSAT/GPA numbers
171/3.98 (LSAC GPA)

-How many times you have taken the LSAT
Studied for 6 months and have taken it once.

I'm drawn to Michigan's larger scholarship offer but concerned about their worse employment statistics and drop in the rankings. I also prefer Virginia's location but...I'm leaning towards Michigan at the moment.

dabigchina

Gold

Re: Virginia vs Michigan

Post by dabigchina » Wed May 27, 2015 9:14 pm

Bluelizard wrote:-The schools you are considering

I have a 150k scholarship from Michigan

-Your general career goals
Public interest, and quite possibly criminal.
sounds like a no brainer

LegaleZy

New

Post by LegaleZy » Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 pm

Michigan is not a bad choice at all, but is seems the difference btw. UVA and Mich would be 36k and I would pay the extra 36k for the added security that UVA would offer if you decide to pursue other areas of law beyond PI.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu May 28, 2015 12:05 am

LegaleZy wrote:Michigan is not a bad choice at all, but is seems the difference btw. UVA and Mich would be 36k and I would pay the extra 36k for the added security that UVA would offer if you decide to pursue other areas of law beyond PI.
they are peers

it comes down to personal preferences

dont put stock in rankings OP

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:05 am

Do you think you could get any higher than a 171? Just a few points and you're looking at Harvard. Not that these options are bad. Choose Michigan, because it's cheaper.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BillClinton Jr

Bronze

Post by BillClinton Jr » Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 am

I think if you aren't sure of what you want I would go to the school that provides you the best/most options outside of just PI and that would be UVA. I'm all about saving money but job prospects after graduation are huge too and like you mentioned: Michigan's numbers for Fed+BigLaw placements weren't great.

Goodluck! Not bad options either way.

OhBoyOhBortles

Gold

Post by OhBoyOhBortles » Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 am

ndirish2010 wrote:Do you think you could get any higher than a 171? Just a few points and you're looking at Harvard $$$$ at CCN. Not that these options are bad. Choose Michigan, because it's cheaper.
Have you asked UVA to match?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:53 am

Go to UVA. Michigan doesn't need more PI people bringing its employment numbers down.

NOWAYDUDE

New

Post by NOWAYDUDE » Thu May 28, 2015 11:01 am

Last edited by NOWAYDUDE on Thu May 28, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Thu May 28, 2015 11:02 am

Michigan has cut its class size, so its big law + fed clerkship may be going up.

Either way, they are peer schools I think, and for each plus one school has, the other equally has a leg up in some other area.

The money can be an important factor, as well as where you want to spend 3 years.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Thu May 28, 2015 11:06 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Do you think you could get any higher than a 171? Just a few points and you're looking at Harvard $$$$ at CCN. Not that these options are bad. Choose Michigan, because it's cheaper.
According to UVA they are totally dry. If you do manage to squeeze any water out of that stone please do let me know.

Personally I think UVA is probably worth the extra $36k, but that's partially because as a future PI warrior there's a decent chance you won't be paying much of it back anyway.

Also, I'll be there, so there's that.

NOWAYDUDE

New

Post by NOWAYDUDE » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

Last edited by NOWAYDUDE on Fri May 29, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 am

Two great options. Your prior posts show that you were accepted to Chicago. Did Chicago offer any scholarship money ? Still on the waitlist at Harvard ? If accepted to Harvard, do you think that you would qualify for a significant amount of financial aid ?

Between Michigan with $150,000 scholarship & Virginia with $120,000 scholarship, there is no wrong or bad choice for you in my opinion.

Of course, if you are willing to retake & score even two points higher (a 173 or above) on the LSAT, the likelihood of a Harvard acceptance rises because of your stellar GPA (3.98). But, Harvard is only a solid option if you're able to get substantial financial aid grant money when offered large scholarships from Michigan & Virginia. More likely, hopefully, Chicago might offer a Rubenstein award if you have a higher LSAT & apply early next cycle. In short, you have several great options.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ohiobumpkin

Silver

Post by Ohiobumpkin » Thu May 28, 2015 11:48 am

What kind of PI are we talking about here anyway? Legal Aid/poverty relief, international human rights, government work? If by PI you mean anything involving government work, go UVA. If you mean anything related to "private" PI work (e.g., Legal Aid), go to Michigan. Congratulations on such a great outcome.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
That too. Both your edit and reply.

Hornet2011

Bronze

Post by Hornet2011 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:45 pm

Sounds like both are great options. If your looking for individual's pure opinions, I would go to Michigan as 36k is still 36k.

Also is it just me or is it odd that OP received a 150k scholarship off the wait list?

Bluelizard

New

Post by Bluelizard » Fri May 29, 2015 12:14 am

TasmanianToucan wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:
According to UVA they are totally dry. If you do manage to squeeze any water out of that stone please do let me know.

Personally I think UVA is probably worth the extra $36k, but that's partially because as a future PI warrior there's a decent chance you won't be paying much of it back anyway.

Also, I'll be there, so there's that.
A number of my practice tests ranged from 175-179, so I think it might be a possibility to score higher. That's definitely something in the back of my mind. Especially with more studying.

As for squeezing more money out of UVA, I've asked them to match the scholarship from Michigan...but I am doubtful that they will.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bluelizard

New

Post by Bluelizard » Fri May 29, 2015 12:20 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Two great options. Your prior posts show that you were accepted to Chicago. Did Chicago offer any scholarship money ? Still on the waitlist at Harvard ? If accepted to Harvard, do you think that you would qualify for a significant amount of financial aid ?

Between Michigan with $150,000 scholarship & Virginia with $120,000 scholarship, there is no wrong or bad choice for you in my opinion.

Of course, if you are willing to retake & score even two points higher (a 173 or above) on the LSAT, the likelihood of a Harvard acceptance rises because of your stellar GPA (3.98). But, Harvard is only a solid option if you're able to get substantial financial aid grant money when offered large scholarships from Michigan & Virginia. More likely, hopefully, Chicago might offer a Rubenstein award if you have a higher LSAT & apply early next cycle. In short, you have several great options.
Chicago offered me 60k and refused to go up, so I withdrew my application. I am still on the waitlist at Harvard but considering withdrawing. I think that I'd receive a fair amount of need-based grant money from Harvard, but it would still result in such massive debt. I'm also on the waitlist at Stanford and Penn. Decisions...!

Bluelizard

New

Post by Bluelizard » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 am

Ohiobumpkin wrote:What kind of PI are we talking about here anyway? Legal Aid/poverty relief, international human rights, government work? If by PI you mean anything involving government work, go UVA. If you mean anything related to "private" PI work (e.g., Legal Aid), go to Michigan. Congratulations on such a great outcome.
Legal Aid or government work most likely. My work within the criminal justice system is a notable influence on my decision to go to law school.

Bluelizard

New

Post by Bluelizard » Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 am

Thank you to everyone who has responded. I really do appreciate any and all feedback.

Nomo

Silver

Post by Nomo » Fri May 29, 2015 2:29 am

Michigan is definitely the best call. With your interests, the goal should be to go to a school with a strong name, while also keeping your debt in a place where it doesn't have a major effect on your life.

Virginia isn't going to give you any kind of bump over Michigan for the kind of work you're interested in. .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 pm

HIJACK INBOUND!!!

Same schools, basically same offer (Michigan is 135k, UVA is 120k)

I want to work in Texas as a patent attorney, probably in litigation. I would love to clerk, either in Texas at any level or in DC at the court of appeals (where patent cases are heard). I am a Texas resident with strong Texas ties, so I won't have any difficulty convincing firms that I really want to work there. I would consider UT if they gave me a better scholarship, but so far they've only offered 24k. But honestly even with a match UVA/Michigan are higher on my radar.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:56 pm

dallinpackard wrote:HIJACK INBOUND!!!

I want to work in Texas as a patent attorney, probably in litigation. I would love to clerk, either in Texas at any level or in DC at the court of appeals (where patent cases are heard). I am a Texas resident with strong Texas ties, so I won't have any difficulty convincing firms that I really want to work there. I would consider UT if they gave me a better scholarship, but so far they've only offered 24k. But honestly even with a match UVA/Michigan are higher on my radar.
UVA

dallinpackard

New

Post by dallinpackard » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:25 pm

proteinshake wrote:

UVA
Care to elaborate?

run26.2

Silver

Post by run26.2 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:58 pm

dallinpackard wrote:
proteinshake wrote:

UVA
Care to elaborate?
Didn't go to either school, but I have relevant info at the professional level. Feel free to PM if interested.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”