WUSTL full ride vs. Vandy vs. UCLA vs. USC vs. Minnesota? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ari20dal7

Bronze

WUSTL full ride vs. Vandy vs. UCLA vs. USC vs. Minnesota?

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:48 pm

Let's assume that WUSTL costs living expenses only. How much would these other schools need to give you to go there instead? I'm honestly not sure - still weighing my options........

Splitt3r

Bronze

Re: WUSTL full ride vs. Vandy vs. UCLA vs. USC vs. Minnesota?

Post by Splitt3r » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:03 pm

Are we assuming that you have no preference for where you want to work after graduation? This would have a big effect on which I would choose, given these options.

typodragon

Bronze

Post by typodragon » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:08 pm

If you want to be on the west coast, UCLA is hands down the best school there and it would be the best school on the west coast. If you want to be on the east coast or the deep south, you might give some thought to vandy, and UCLA probably would carry significant name value. Comparing the cost of living, and assuming out of state tuition, the difference betweeen ucla and st louis would be immense. If you can get UCLA instate tuition, I'd go there.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:20 pm

I prefer the Midwest or Texas, but not strongly. I would much rather work in California than in NYC.

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:01 pm

If you want to be on the west coast, UCLA is hands down the best school there and it would be the best school on the west coast. If you want to be on the east coast or the deep south, you might give some thought to vandy, and UCLA probably would carry significant name value. Comparing the cost of living, and assuming out of state tuition, the difference betweeen ucla and st louis would be immense. If you can get UCLA instate tuition, I'd go there.
I'm definitely looking hard at UCLA. Instate after one year and a decent scholarship would be tough to turn down.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:49 pm

Eh, given your (even only slight) preference for the Midwest/Texas, I think WUSTL, especially with all that money, deserves very, very serious consideration. Otherwise, I'd say UCLA for the West Coast and Vandy for the East Coast.

This board = coastal bias :wink:

ari20dal7

Bronze

Post by ari20dal7 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:37 pm

Yeah, I tend to agree. I'm also in at Duke and Cornell, but I think the WUSTL v. T14 debate has been beaten to death. Suffice to say that I'll go to WUSTL before I pay sticker at those schools, but I may not have to do that. If not, a lot changes.

Also, Columbia, Chicago, or Boalt would really, really change things......

I just think I'd like the Midwest better - both because it's more like home and because my money will go a bit farther. But, I could certainly get used to LA, and I wouldn't turn down the right job in NYC. But, unlike a lot of people, I'd rather make market in Houston and get a smaller bonus than make market with a bigger bonus in NYC: the COL would even it out and I wouldn't have to live in NYC.

Rolloss

New

Post by Rolloss » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 pm

gone
Last edited by Rolloss on Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”