Only Go to Baylor Law IF: Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hipcatdaddio

Bronze

Re: Only Go to Baylor Law IF:

Post by hipcatdaddio » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:17 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:There's a Chipotle attached to my apartment building. Don't even need to go outside.
/thread

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:20 pm

paul554 wrote: In fact there is a 90% chance you won't be in the top 10%!
this statistic does not consider how special i am

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:27 pm

Isn't there a chipotle literally ON SMU's campus? Or is that a qdoba or competitor

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:20 pm

ilikebaseball wrote:Isn't there a chipotle literally ON SMU's campus? Or is that a qdoba or competitor
SMU has a large campus. No Chipotle that I know of. Or Freebirds.

Good sushi place across from the law school though.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:50 am

qdoba > chipotle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:51 am

james.bungles wrote:qdoba > chipotle
someone gets me

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:02 am

leib10 wrote:FWIW, I got into Texas Tech with a decent scholarship and Baylor with no scholarship. I chose to go to Tech for a fraction of the price instead of a school whose superiority over Tech is questionable in many areas, prohibitively expensive, and seems like an all-around miserable experience.
coming in HOT

please, further explain your choice to attend tttexas tttech

ilikebaseball

Gold

Post by ilikebaseball » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:08 am

mephistopheles wrote:
leib10 wrote:FWIW, I got into Texas Tech with a decent scholarship and Baylor with no scholarship. I chose to go to Tech for a fraction of the price instead of a school whose superiority over Tech is questionable in many areas, prohibitively expensive, and seems like an all-around miserable experience.
coming in HOT

Idk what his other options were or anything as far as his LSAT/future plans, etc. But if Tech gave me a substantial amount of money vs Baylor with no money and I couldnt retake, I'd take Tech and wouldn't think twice. Or maybe just forget about law school. But whatevs.

paul554

New

Post by paul554 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:43 am

mephistopheles wrote:
coming in HOT

Tech and Baylor are actually very similar as far as overall employment rates are concerned. While I'm sure Baylor puts more people in the central Texas area, and tech puts them in the west, neither one is horrible. Of course UT dominates and it would be silly to not go there if offfered, but Tech and Baylor seem to be decent backups. I think tech wins out when you compare overall cost, along with scholarships, in comparison to the private tuiton rate of Baylor. Honestly, if you had to choose between 250k in debt and 100k, with similar job prospects, why not take the one that is less then half the cost?

Or of course, in true TLS fashion, retake until you get HYS :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:21 am

kalvano wrote:
ilikebaseball wrote:Isn't there a chipotle literally ON SMU's campus? Or is that a qdoba or competitor
SMU has a large campus. No Chipotle that I know of. Or Freebirds.

Good sushi place across from the law school though.
My plc is thankfully very close to a freebirds

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:46 pm

As bad as the school my be, they do have a decent LST score. 71% employed in FT BPR jobs

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:51 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:39 am

should-i-do-it wrote:As bad as the school my be, they do have a decent LST score. 71% employed in FT BPR jobs
Don't let this mislead you. Very few of those jobs are substantive enough to service the debt load required for BLS
Regulus wrote:
james.bungles wrote:qdoba > chipotle
I came to the second page just to see if someone had brought this up. Once you get a burrito with Qdoba's queso, normal food like Chipotle just doesn't taste as good anymore.
In the hierarchy it goes

Freebirds -> why would you bother going anywhere else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:20 am

I don't know why y'all are quibbling which burrito joint is better -- that's California talk. If you want to be in Texas than act like it. For chain restaurants, Torchy's is the best taco joint hands down, and that's all you need to know. And for queso, even if you include these burrito joints, it's Torchy's > anything you might get even in the eternal afterlife > everything else.

(Since there are now Torchy's locations in Houston, Dallas (very close proximity), Ausitn of course, and even Waco, that does nothing to disqualify any schools
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:15 am

But we do have one standard for disqualifying all schools that aren't UT: Kerbey Queso

should-i-do-it

Bronze

Post by should-i-do-it » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:26 pm

Attax wrote:
should-i-do-it wrote:As bad as the school my be, they do have a decent LST score. 71% employed in FT BPR jobs
Don't let this mislead you. Very few of those jobs are substantive enough to service the debt load required for BLS
Still bad with a full ride if someone if just trying to get a real jerb, not necessarily big law?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:16 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:
Attax wrote:
Still bad with a full ride if someone if just trying to get a real jerb, not necessarily big law?
In that case, probably not. But even still you're on a quarter system and the system they have is pretty shitty in its set up.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:18 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:
Attax wrote:
Why would you waste three years of your life when all you wanted was a job.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:29 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

utilitarianjac

Bronze

Post by utilitarianjac » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:00 pm

There is a Moe's on Baylor's campus (along w/ Which Wich, Chik-fil-A, and others). Chipotle and Freebirds are a short drive. Even closer is Torchy's Tacos. The line is long, but it is definitely worth the wait.

Practice court... You couldn't convince me to do that. I never wanted to practice, though.

Caesar Salad

Diamond

Post by Caesar Salad » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:06 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:There's a Chipotle attached to my apartment building. Don't even need to go outside.
Solid, I have one directly across the street. Just consumed a burrito. So satisfied I almost feel like lighting a cigarette

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:38 pm

should-i-do-it wrote:
Attax wrote:
Pretty positive those have tough GPA stipulations. It is also one of the more competitive/cut-throat law schools in the country. I would not attend under any circumstance.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:49 am

Yeah, my scholly was a 3.0 stip and they wouldn't budge on it.

Exlawyer

New

Post by Exlawyer » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 am

Only if you want to ruin your life, as I did 20 years ago. The profession itself is not that profitable; too many lawyers, not enough jobs, etc., but that's another topic. Let's just say that with my Baylor JD I have unloaded trucks, worked retail, mowed yards, and at age 40 I found myself applying for an entry level fast food job to bring in extra cash. Several professional recruiters have refused to work with me since non-law companies assume a JD will quit if a legal job opens up. Yet law placement-including Baylor's-could find no law jobs. The JD, a headhunter explained, makes a candidate less marketable than they were with only a BA. Most I have kept in touch with are not practicing. One-who went solo after being laid off-confessed to me that he'd only made $2000 the first half of 2014 (after expenses). He has a family. Have known several lawyers who went into public ed to get a higher, reliable paycheck and benefits. I've known 2 lawyers who were Walmart asst managers). Pays better.

1. If you're not in the top 50% after first semester most professors won't take time to work with you (and, yes, I tried)

2. Baylor emphasizes 1950's courtroom tactics at the expense of other topics, esp. Discovery phase. I had never witnessed, much less simulated, a deposition or pretrial hearing. The firm's other lawyers were obviously better prepared than I was. I only practiced 1 year out of law school before I gave up, esp. Since the firm couldn't make payroll (2 of the 3 firms owed me money when Ieft & none still exist).

3. Baylor grads end up in suburbs at smaller firms. Due to computers (Legalzoom,etc.) and tort reform by far most suburban work is in Family Law. Baylor does a dismal job on Family Law. i was shocked at the difference between their program and the reality of where the income is. I network enough to believe this assessment is still accurate in 2015.

4. Baylor is unusually high stress relative to normal law schools. It's a negative tradition that borders on hazing. Numerous students ended up with depression, marital problems, etc., with high dropout rate. I deeply regret not quitting and cutting my losses. There is a reason lawyers have high suicide, alcoholism, divorce rates, etc. would love to see how much higher Baylor rates are.

5. New facility is very nice compared to old one (I toured new one recently). It's still in isolated Waco. In Dallas/Houston you can network and go observe actual courtroom proceedings. At Baylor, you're too busy and far away for real world training.

6. I agree that Baylor is Texas-centered. Do not attend unless you are sure you will only work in Tx.

7. Baylor grades artificially low, making it hard to transfer out. Also gives you a negative on job apps/resume for rest of your life, and can make it hard to get another graduate degree in the likely event you change careers and need a better degree later.

Bottom line: Baylor prepares you for a world that no longer exists. Odds are against law school grads actually having a long, profitable career anyway. You'll probably be a statistic. Why make the odds worse by going to a small school that is out of touch with what todays jobs look like?

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:08 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”