ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
aboutmydaylight

Silver

Re: ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad

Post by aboutmydaylight » Wed May 28, 2014 9:18 pm

No one replied to me so I guess I'm in the clear?

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Wed May 28, 2014 10:53 pm

Last edited by Young Marino on Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CandFwoes

New

Post by CandFwoes » Thu May 29, 2014 12:34 am

NYU total debt at graduation ~158k (this factors in borrowing for a substantial fund covering emergencies and bar expenses, as I will not be working)
Biglaw or bust

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu May 29, 2014 12:58 am

aboutmydaylight wrote:No one replied to me so I guess I'm in the clear?
I think the original point of this thread was for prospective students trying to gauge the merits of attending regional schools at particular reduced prices for certain specific goals, not elite schools that offer a wide range of opportunity at significant discount. I know others posted their T14's in here too, so I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but you know you're in the clear.
Bedsole wrote: I thought we might be able to condense some of the chatter about why you shouldn't attend most schools outside the T14 without a substantial scholarship, especially if it isn't a state flagship that places well in a market that is not oversaturated.

lawschool22

Gold

Post by lawschool22 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:01 am

Sorry, I did that too. Kinda forgot about the intent of the OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

aboutmydaylight

Silver

Post by aboutmydaylight » Thu May 29, 2014 1:17 am

Oh I missed that part of the OP. My bad.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu May 29, 2014 10:46 am

JCougar wrote:
butlerraider1 wrote:Goal(s): ADA
Regional Ties: Lived in the area my whole life, and would like to continue living there after graduation
School(s): Albany Law School with full scholarship and no COL (commuting from home)
My guess is that it's going to be pretty hard to get NY ADA from Albany, so even if you graduate with no debt, you should start figuring out your plans B and C before you devote 3 years of your life at a school that gives you a 60% chance of getting any actual legal job...much less a desirable one such as ADA.
Not a bad choice if the stips aren't onerous (top 80%). It probably won't get you downstate. I'd ask around the upstate country DA offices to see if they hire entry-levels.

Utesfan

New

Post by Utesfan » Thu May 29, 2014 2:02 pm

How about this: university of utah total COA for all years is 8500. Also wife has business here so she pays for everything. It was either this or texas with a half scholarship which would require moving- want to work in utah, strong ties and clerk gig lined up with a federal case prosecuter here.

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Thu May 29, 2014 2:37 pm

I'll go-- this thread is great.

School: Stanford
Goals: IHR, particularly South America and women's rights
Ties: Some in New England, some in northern Midwest; weak ties in South America
Background: 1 year WE at a PI firm (not IHR though); some work in IHR abroad with non-profits in a non-legal capacity.
CoA: 170k

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Thu May 29, 2014 2:55 pm

whippersnappery wrote:I'll go-- this thread is great.

Background: 1 year WE at a PI firm (not IHR though); some work in IHR abroad with non-profits in a non-legal capacity.
jbagelboy wrote: I think the original point of this thread was for prospective students trying to gauge the merits of attending regional schools at particular reduced prices for certain specific goals, not elite schools that offer a wide range of opportunity at significant discount. I know others posted their T14's in here too, so I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but you know you're in the clear.
Bedsole wrote: I thought we might be able to condense some of the chatter about why you shouldn't attend most schools outside the T14 without a substantial scholarship, especially if it isn't a state flagship that places well in a market that is not oversaturated.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu May 29, 2014 2:58 pm

defer and get more work experience/language skills
Utesfan wrote:How about this: university of utah total COA for all years is 8500. Also wife has business here so she pays for everything. It was either this or texas with a half scholarship which would require moving- want to work in utah, strong ties and clerk gig lined up with a federal case prosecuter here.
I think you already know Utah is the answer here. sounds good.

whippersnappery

Bronze

Post by whippersnappery » Thu May 29, 2014 4:21 pm

Ricky-Bobby wrote:

jbagelboy wrote: I think the original point of this thread was for prospective students trying to gauge the merits of attending regional schools at particular reduced prices for certain specific goals, not elite schools that offer a wide range of opportunity at significant discount. I know others posted their T14's in here too, so I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, but you know you're in the clear.
Whoops, didn't mean to derail, apologies. And Worldtraveler, thank you. Your insight is always very appreciated.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:11 am

What's the max amount to pay for BC? I want to advise the 0Ls considering my school to make smart decisions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:34 pm

Utesfan wrote:How about this: university of utah total COA for all years is 8500. Also wife has business here so she pays for everything. It was either this or texas with a half scholarship which would require moving- want to work in utah, strong ties and clerk gig lined up with a federal case prosecuter here.
Include opportunity costs in your calculation (the amount of money you won't be able to earn for 3 years). If you can get that person to write up a contract for post grad employment then I would say it's a good choice.

unodostres

Silver

Post by unodostres » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:08 am

Max for usc UCLA?

I'm looking to get full but just wondering...

Goals: big law or just be employed I guess... Maybe pi but I'm open
Ties are real strong.

Is it worth a full vs lower t14?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:26 pm

Clerk gig as interning in the summer/during the year? Because I do not think any USA offices pay for a clerkship post-graduation but I could be wrong.

What would be the total COA at Texas? I would still say Utah most likely at that cost + strong ties + wanting to work there.

psbrathwaite

New

Post by psbrathwaite » Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:37 pm

How terrible is University of Florida?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:17 pm

psbrathwaite wrote:How terrible is University of Florida?
Are you from Florida and want to work there? And can you go for minimal debt? (I would say maybe 20k at the high end)

cpamom

New

Post by cpamom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:20 pm

Stuck in Detroit for now. Is Wayne for free or super cheap a reasonable choice? I have 9 years of work experience and numbers not good enough for Michigan but way over 75th in Wayne.
Should I go or wait a couple of years and try getting into better schools outside of Michigan? Maybe I'll be in a better position to move.

Right now I can earn about $70,000 a year. I'm 30+, want to do tax law but don't want take a pay cut or do more than 1900 billable hours per year.

Thanks for your input.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:21 pm

cpamom wrote:Stuck in Detroit for now. Is Wayne for free or super cheap a reasonable choice? I have 9 years of work experience and numbers not good enough for Michigan but way over 75th in Wayne.
Should I go or wait a couple of years and try getting into better schools outside of Michigan? Maybe I'll be in a better position to move.

Right now I can earn about $70,000 a year. I'm 30+, want to do tax law but don't want take a pay cut or do more than 1900 billable hours per year.

Thanks for your input.
Ya id just keep your current job if your choice is Wayne state, even for free

cpamom

New

Post by cpamom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:23 pm

Accounting sucks :( looks like I'll have to retake. But it looks like every attorney here in Detroit went to Wayne, so I thought that maybe I'll be fine.
Last edited by cpamom on Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

cpamom wrote:Stuck in Detroit for now. Is Wayne for free or super cheap a reasonable choice? I have 9 years of work experience and numbers not good enough for Michigan but way over 75th in Wayne.

Thanks for your input.
I'll have to agree with above. If you don't want to do more than 1900/yr, and you don't want to dip below 70k, law is not a good option. Wayne is an even worse option, even without those qualifiers. Third, a general rule of thumb is that someone making 60k+ isn't taking a good risk with law school.

baal hadad

Gold

Post by baal hadad » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:26 pm

cpamom wrote:Being accountant sucks :(
Why on earth would u think being a tax atty is better

cpamom

New

Post by cpamom » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 pm

baal hadad wrote:
cpamom wrote:Being accountant sucks :(
Why on earth would u think being a tax atty is better
:) accounting work is extremely mundane. It is also not intellectually stimulating in any way. I've grown very tired of it.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:30 pm

baal hadad wrote:Why on earth would u think being a tax atty is better

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”