ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz

Platinum

Re: ITT: Practicing attorneys tell you your top choice is bad

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:40 pm

phireblast wrote:Florida State U with in-state + 10k/year no stips.
Government or firms of any size for me.

Am perfectly fine staying in Florida.
Thoughts?
I'd go in debt 75k max for FSU

sounds like you may be over. Do the math; be sure to include interest.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:42 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:BU for 15k for a year's cost of attendance or Michigan for 55k for a year's cost of attendance.

Currently a Boston resident and can live rent-free in Boston if I stay here. I would prefer to work in Boston, preferably BigLaw.
I would be more inclined to take Michigan at 165 total than BU for 45k total if you are looking for biglaw, since a shade under half of M grads get biglaw, compared to closer to 1/4 at BU.
It's 165 plus CoL plus interest. Yeesh.
I assumed that the 55k COA included COL, so he'd get out for 165 + interest, rather than 165 + COL +interest.

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:43 pm

rad lulz wrote:
phireblast wrote:Florida State U with in-state + 10k/year no stips.
Government or firms of any size for me.

Am perfectly fine staying in Florida.
Thoughts?
I'd go in debt 75k max for FSU

sounds like you may be over. Do the math; be sure to include interest.
I may even be more conservative on FSU than that, 50k debt at most.

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Bedsole wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:BU for 15k for a year's cost of attendance or Michigan for 55k for a year's cost of attendance.

Currently a Boston resident and can live rent-free in Boston if I stay here. I would prefer to work in Boston, preferably BigLaw.
I would be more inclined to take Michigan at 165 total than BU for 45k total if you are looking for biglaw, since a shade under half of M grads get biglaw, compared to closer to 1/4 at BU.
I assumed that the 55k COA included COL, so he'd get out for 165 + interest, rather than 165 + COL +interest.
Those numbers included COL. I'd also have around $50k of savings to plow into law school (making BU debt free) and two years WE at a big firm.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:47 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Bedsole wrote:

Honestly I'm leaning towards BC. You're looking at 45K for a 1/3 shot at biglaw vs 200K for about a 60% chance at biglaw. How comfortable would you be with a smaller law firm or government work?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

redsoxfan1989

Bronze

Post by redsoxfan1989 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:52 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Honestly I'm leaning towards BC. You're looking at 45K for a 1/3 shot at biglaw vs 200K for about a 60% chance at biglaw. How comfortable would you be with a smaller law firm or government work?
Honestly I'm leaning towards BC. You're looking at 45K for a 1/3 shot at biglaw vs 200K for about a 60% chance at biglaw. How comfortable would you be with a smaller law firm or government work?[/quote]

I actually wouldn't mind working in a DA or PD office (assuming one can get them and still do OCI).

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote:Honestly I'm leaning towards BC. You're looking at 45K for a 1/3 shot at biglaw vs 200K for about a 60% chance at biglaw. How comfortable would you be with a smaller law firm or government work?
Honestly I'm leaning towards BC. You're looking at 45K for a 1/3 shot at biglaw vs 200K for about a 60% chance at biglaw. How comfortable would you be with a smaller law firm or government work?
\

I actually wouldn't mind working in a DA or PD office (assuming one can get them and still do OCI).
Well, you do OCI to find your permanent job. If you strike out there, then you start looking at small firms or government work. 45k in debt gives you a lot of options and you don't even need to go on PSLF unless you totally strike out.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm

redsoxfan1989 wrote: Those numbers included COL. I'd also have around $50k of savings to plow into law school (making BU debt free) and two years WE at a big firm.
Ah. I'd take Michigan then. Get decent grades and the WE will be a big help.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:02 pm

This thread looks fun

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 pm

gimmedanger wrote:goal: Mid-level firm work/government

CU for free
lower t14 with some aid. (accepted to NYU and Northwestern so far)

I'm from Colorado, and would be happy to stay there to work and live after school. However, I wonder if going to a lower ranked school would be detrimental?

I'm still waiting on money info from the other schools I've been accepted to, but wondering if leaving Colorado if ultimately I want to work there is wise.
bump!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:This thread looks fun
You tagging in as a practitioner?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm

gimmedanger wrote:

CU for free

I'm from Colorado, and would be happy to stay there to work and live after school. However, I wonder if going to a lower ranked school would be detrimental?

I'm still waiting on money info from the other schools I've been accepted to, but wondering if leaving Colorado if ultimately I want to work there is wise.
bump!
I don't know much about CO hiring, but based on LST for CU and your preexisting ties in CO, I would be inclined to take the lower T14 with some aid. The low biglaw and high school-funded at CU worries me, even for free. Other grads feel free to chime in here.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:10 pm

rad lulz wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Checking in as a practicing attorney, ready to pounce.

Can we add a wrinkle to the categories? The "Be ready to drop out of this school if you're 1L fall grades suck" wrinkle.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Can we add a wrinkle to the categories? The "Be ready to drop out of this school if you're 1L fall grades suck" wrinkle.
I would add that caveat to any school in the 50-100% scholly bracket. Agreeable?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
redsoxfan1989 wrote: Those numbers included COL. I'd also have around $50k of savings to plow into law school (making BU debt free) and two years WE at a big firm.
Ah. I'd take Michigan then. Get decent grades and the WE will be a big help.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Bedsole wrote:
gimmedanger wrote:

CU for free

bump!
I don't know much about CO hiring, but based on LST for CU and your preexisting ties in CO, I would be inclined to take the lower T14 with some aid. The low biglaw and high school-funded at CU worries me, even for free. Other grads feel free to chime in here.
I'm a CO bro who took the money and went out of state to a T30 trap on a half ride. I'm in the Vale and licensed to practice in Colorado. I wouldn't do it again; the market's too tough.

For big law, boutiques and good mid law, if a T14, do what every other big-law associate seems to do on 17th Street: Bid New York and lateral back to Denver. Maybe CU for free and be ready to drop out if your 1L grades suck.

For DA/PD, mid law with ties (e.g. daddy's a partner), and small/shit law, CU or DU for free and intern as much as possible with a DA or PD office. Even then, the competition is tough.

For the AG's office, I've met more lawyers who didn't go to CU or DU than who did.
Bedsole wrote:
Bikeflip wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I would add that caveat to any school in the 50-100% scholly bracket. Agreeable?
I think that's fair enough.

CLhouston

New

Post by CLhouston » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 pm

I'll play. Tied to Houston market, and Houston alone. School and work must both be here because of my husband's full time job, our home, and our three children.

Goals

I'd love an in house job with one of the many school districts in or surrounding Houston. *dream job*
I'm also open to PI work. I currently intern with a non-profit that assists families of children with disabilities.
I would be extremely happy with medium or big law also (to pay off loans quickly), but I am realistic as to this possibility.

Note- Husband is sole income. I am a career full time student (HA), and a stay at home mom, so there will be no loss in income, and no COL expenses. After school is done, 80% of my income will go toward loans (some will go toward commuting expenses/clothes/fun/extended care for kids), so they should get paid down somewhat quickly.

Schools

University of Houston - top choice in Houston. Mid ranked school with high regional rep. Most big law firms in Houston OCI here.
South Texas College of Law - unranked school. Well respected regionally, huge alumni base in Houston. Big law does OCI, but only the absolute top will ever see a job there.

What do you think?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:36 pm

CLhouston wrote:I'll play. Tied to Houston market, and Houston alone. School and work must both be here because of my husband's full time job, our home, and our three children.

Goals

I'd love an in house job with one of the many school districts in or surrounding Houston. *dream job*
I'm also open to PI work. I currently intern with a non-profit that assists families of children with disabilities.
I would be extremely happy with medium or big law also (to pay off loans quickly), but I am realistic as to this possibility.

Note- Husband is sole income. I am a career full time student (HA), and a stay at home mom, so there will be no loss in income, and no COL expenses. After school is done, 80% of my income will go toward loans (some will go toward commuting expenses/clothes/fun/extended care for kids), so they should get paid down somewhat quickly.

Schools

University of Houston - top choice in Houston. Mid ranked school with high regional rep. Most big law firms in Houston OCI here.
South Texas College of Law - unranked school. Well respected regionally, huge alumni base in Houston. Big law does OCI, but only the absolute top will ever see a job there.

What do you think?
I wouldn't go to any of those without a full ride. At least enter with a clear goal.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:37 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
CLhouston wrote:I'll play. Tied to Houston market, and Houston alone. School and work must both be here because of my husband's full time job, our home, and our three children.

Goals

Schools

What do you think?
I wouldn't go to any of those without a full ride. At least enter with a clear goal.

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:39 pm

What WT said. Also Houston person, you get any money from either?

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:42 pm

CLhouston wrote:Schools

What do you think?
Assuming finances are equal between the two, I think Houston makes the most sense if you had to choose. 17% biglaw compared to an abysmal 3% is no contest. The real question is whether you should attend. You're looking at 28k/yr COA relative to your current situation, which works out to 84k + interest + tuition hikes at graduation. That's not an insurmountable amount of debt, but if you end up paying sticker, signs are pointing towards don't go.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:05 pm

That reminds me, anyone have a law.com account so they can access that site's "top 50 go to law schools or whatever"? Last year, the site not only broke down the numbers by which school sent which percent of their class to big law, but the site also broke down the firms. Good to know if schools are sending kids to 500+ atty mills. We talked about this last yr.

ETA: found it. The law school to law firm break down. It's it not behind a paywall!

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 pm

Bikeflip wrote:ETA: found it. The law school to law firm break down. It's it not behind a paywall!
I am getting a message that I need to subscribe for access. Might just be me. Otherwise I can stick it in the OP.

gimmedanger

New

Post by gimmedanger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:28 pm

Bikeflip wrote:
Bedsole wrote:
gimmedanger wrote:

CU for free

bump!
I'm a CO bro who took the money and went out of state to a T30 trap on a half ride. I'm in the Vale and licensed to practice in Colorado. I wouldn't do it again; the market's too tough.

For big law, boutiques and good mid law, if a T14, do what every other big-law associate seems to do on 17th Street: Bid New York and lateral back to Denver. Maybe CU for free and be ready to drop out if your 1L grades suck.

For DA/PD, mid law with ties (e.g. daddy's a partner), and small/shit law, CU or DU for free and intern as much as possible with a DA or PD office. Even then, the competition is tough.
thanks. solid advice. This is what I generally suspected but it is good to hear it from someone experienced with the current market. Time to cross my fingers for solid $$ from the T14!

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:35 pm

Thanks for the insight, I'll try to negotiate some money from FSU.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”