most liberal/conservative law schools Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
efineman

New

Post by efineman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:29 pm

officially here's the run down.

Scale 1-10 1-Liberal 5-6 Moderate 10 Conservative

On Economic issues
NYU 4
Columbia 5

International Diplomacy

NYU 3
Columbia 5

War

NYU 3
Columbia 3

Healthcare

NYU 2
Columbia 2

Edit: Backwards scale
Last edited by efineman on Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pathfinder

New

Post by Pathfinder » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:46 pm

wow i would not have guessed that NYU was more conservative on international law. The econ stuff doesn't shock me, considering the amount of econ based classes

Dadric

New

Post by Dadric » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:22 pm

I think generally if it is harder to get in, the students will more likely be liberal in any given geographical area...
Because they have more money? :wink:

Really, from my experience it wouldn't be reflective of anything regardless...the smartest kids I knew in high school were the ones that didn't try and went to average universities.

efineman

New

Post by efineman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:57 pm

just so nobody is confused...I assumed it was obvious but that ranking above was entirely made up, don't base anything on it. One poster seemed to think it was real...sorry

thisabyssisbliss

New

Post by thisabyssisbliss » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:21 pm

the smartest kids I knew in high school were the ones that didn't try and went to average universities.
That is true, we had one kid in my HS who had a gpa in the 2.x range and his senior year he took 11 or so AP tests without taking the classes and passed all but one part of the physics one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

efineman

New

Post by efineman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:02 pm

People with extremely high IQs are generally unsatisfied with civilized life, as it is extremely limiting. High School especially. I wasn't smart enough to realize the reality of high school and the pointless, and intentionally limiting aspects, so I did ok. But the kids with a greater perspective couldn't 'get into' high school. So they go do drugs and learn more that way. I know I couldn't deal with high school at this point. College was borderline useless.

Some are apathetic others turn into schitzos, or artists. I know all of the above.

I agree that many smart kids are lazy

thisabyssisbliss

New

Post by thisabyssisbliss » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:34 pm

So they go do drugs and learn more that way.
umm....

awesomerossum

New

Post by awesomerossum » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:20 am

I hate it when people justify their high school lethargy by blaming it on their superior intelligence.

:roll:

efineman

New

Post by efineman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:53 am

haha, well I'm not blaming my high school lethargy on this. I was not nearly as perceptive as many at a young age. Other people, who were much more so than I, did such things.

And yes, for certain people you can learn infinitely more on certain drugs than in school, especially high school.

Why does this upset you? Because you don't want to believe people as smart or smarter than you are not interested in school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

awesomerossum

New

Post by awesomerossum » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:57 am

No.

If one were intelligent, one would see that it is in his best interest not necessarily to show interest, but at least to feign interest until something truly engaging arises.

efineman

New

Post by efineman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:42 am

Well thats one way of going about it.

Academic schooling offers little in personal growth beyond knowledge of the subjects studied and the grades earned. For some this is satisfying, and they study because it is interesting, enlightening, or fun.

But when subjects offer little stimulation and satisfaction, one could stick with it and fight through it because this is what one does. Most kids do. But some kids don't, some are unable to succeed or grasp concepts, others do not want to, others are lazy. Some kids look elsewhere for personal satisfaction like to sports, to drugs, the opposite sex for other activities that may or may not be socially or personally productive. When you spend your time engulfed in these activities, and sacrifice hw for these, grades go down. I think this is neither unforgivable nor unwise for certain people to do this.
Even brilliant students who pay attention in class won't fair well on a test or quiz that measures their knowledge of an assigned hw reading. [/i]

wesleybs

New

Post by wesleybs » Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:16 am

In terms of the South being conservative, Duke falls far to the left of the typical southern conservative.

thisabyssisbliss

New

Post by thisabyssisbliss » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:01 pm

But the kids with a greater perspective couldn't 'get into' high school. So they go do drugs and learn more that way.
you said, if you didn't do drugs in high school you didn't have a 'greater perspective'

that makes no sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

efineman

New

Post by efineman » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:12 pm

Ok, great logic.

I meant to mean some kids with a greater perspective.

Clay

New

Re: most liberal/conservative law schools

Post by Clay » Wed May 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Hey Johnny D....pull your head out of the sand. That hurricane happened a long time ago sunny. If you'd like I'll send you some napkins to wipe your eyes with, you nickampoop. Wan!!!! I'm so sick of you winey little wimpy left wing nuts. wan! Get some balls and act like a man. 1000 people died. Yeah and probably a thousand more died today in car wrecks. Wake up an get a life.....I know, we should change our government policies because of global warming and katrina...I know, we can stop global warming by punishing bad americans and live like other third world countries and then we can have a one world dictator and a one world governement . Then we can get rid of the horrible, devlish USA that has been so horribly rotten to everyone..................................................................Yeah, I know what you're about Johnny D. You'll bitch and complain about katrina but when someone tries to explain to you about the millions of people we're trying to liberate in Iraq you bury your head in the sand.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu May 29, 2008 3:26 pm

Johnny D's post was from December 2006. Did you notice that or were you too busy spouting off about irrelevant crap?
Clay
Post subject: Re: most liberal/conservative law schools

Hey Johnny D....pull your head out of the sand. That hurricane happened a long time ago sunny. If you'd like I'll send you some napkins to wipe your eyes with, you nickampoop. Wan!!!! I'm so sick of you winey little wimpy left wing nuts. wan! Get some balls and act like a man. 1000 people died. Yeah and probably a thousand more died today in car wrecks. Wake up an get a life.....I know, we should change our government policies because of global warming and katrina...I know, we can stop global warming by punishing bad americans and live like other third world countries and then we can have a one world dictator and a one world governement . Then we can get rid of the horrible, devlish USA that has been so horribly rotten to everyone..................................................................Yeah, I know what you're about Johnny D. You'll bitch and complain about katrina but when someone tries to explain to you about the millions of people we're trying to liberate in Iraq you bury your head in the sand.

iwasgoingtobeasenator

New

Post by iwasgoingtobeasenator » Thu May 29, 2008 3:38 pm

Clay wrote:Hey Johnny D....pull your head out of the sand. That hurricane happened a long time ago sunny. If you'd like I'll send you some napkins to wipe your eyes with, you nickampoop. Wan!!!! I'm so sick of you winey little wimpy left wing nuts. wan! Get some balls and act like a man. 1000 people died. Yeah and probably a thousand more died today in car wrecks. Wake up an get a life.....I know, we should change our government policies because of global warming and katrina...I know, we can stop global warming by punishing bad americans and live like other third world countries and then we can have a one world dictator and a one world governement . Then we can get rid of the horrible, devlish USA that has been so horribly rotten to everyone..................................................................Yeah, I know what you're about Johnny D. You'll bitch and complain about katrina but when someone tries to explain to you about the millions of people we're trying to liberate in Iraq you bury your head in the sand.
^^ Dbag of the day

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vandy new yorker

New

Post by vandy new yorker » Thu May 29, 2008 3:43 pm

I actually went to Vandy and took classes with a few law professors while as an undergrad and I have friends who go to law school there and I can tell you that Vanderbilt is not as conservative as people make it out to be.

I know that it's pretty evenly split and leaning towards being more liberal which surprises a lot of people. I found that this makes for pretty lively discussions all over campus. And being a new yorker going to the South, I figured it would be extremely conservative, but it really wasn't. Just because it's in the south doesn't mean it adheres to a wholly conservative mindset.

I hope this sort of answers your question.

oscist

New

Post by oscist » Thu May 29, 2008 4:53 pm

i have this feeling people like clay are fronts for someone who wants to make anyone with conservative leanings appear stupid. its more than a feeling, really.

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Fri May 30, 2008 3:08 am

Last edited by Rainmaker11 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

dude

New

Post by dude » Fri May 30, 2008 3:17 am

UIUC - blue or red?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ace0260

New

Post by ace0260 » Fri May 30, 2008 4:42 am

Emory and Duke as southern and conservative? wow

Outside of Vermont or NYU, theres hardly a more liberal (in a non-hippy way) school than emory. granted the law school seems to have more people from the south (for what its worth relating southerners to conservatives) than undergrad, it still has 25% from Northeast, 15% from West, 11% from Midwest. Bottom line, I rarely see Vanderbilt and Emory in the same sentence socially or ideologically - different worlds. I've also heard that Vanderbilt Law is not really as southern good ole boy as the undergrad.

If anything, the private schools in the south may be more liberal than the public schools such as UGA, USC, Alabama etc

oscist

New

Post by oscist » Fri May 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Come on, though, Rainmaker. That guy? 1 post, ranting everywhere? It's so transparent. Maybe in some low-level college class, but you'd have liberals right alongside him sounding equally stupid.

Rainmaker11

New

Post by Rainmaker11 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:59 pm

Last edited by Rainmaker11 on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

normalien

New

Post by normalien » Sat May 31, 2008 5:59 am

I'm surprised UVA hasn't come up. It's big enough to represent the spectrum, but by and large it seems pretty firmly entrenched on the conservative side of things.

When I was there visiting, the hotel bar was showing Fox News.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”