BC or Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

BC or Fordham?

Fordham(15k/year)
35%
BC(18k/year)
65%

Total votes: 34

generaltoast

New

BC or Fordham

Post by generaltoast » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:36 pm

Background: I am fully deposited at Fordham Law, they are offering 15k/year. I just got in to BC off of the waitlist, with an offer of 18k/year. BC's tuition also appears to be about 9 or 10k cheaper than Fordham in general. My #'s are 164/3.63

I estimate the total COA to be:
160k for Fordham
120k for BC

I am from upstate NY and would like big law. I have never been to Boston in my life, and applied to the school based entirely on its regional reputation and job prospects. I know this essentially comes down to the question "Would you rather work in NYC or Boston?", but I would just like some opinions on whether the savings in COA are worth completely changing gears and attending BC. Thanks.

Informative

Bronze

Re: BC or Fordham

Post by Informative » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm

BC has better placement stats and it appears it will be cheaper. I'd go with BC.

generaltoast

New

Post by generaltoast » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 pm

Informative wrote:BC has better placement stats and it appears it will be cheaper. I'd go with BC.
Thanks for the input. I hear a lot of talk about having "ties" to the region you would like to be employed in. Do you think my never having lived in Boston could have a detriment on my employment prospects?

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:54 pm

At your stated costs (more about that in a second), Fordham would be insane, and BC would be a bad idea.

Are your parents paying some, or are you debt-financing all of the cost? If the latter, you are badly understating your debt load at repayment. From BC, you would owe ~$175K at repayment if you debt-financed everything. From Fordham, you would owe ~$235K.

In either payment situation, don't go to either school. Retake.

generaltoast

New

Post by generaltoast » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:59 pm

Ti Malice wrote:At your stated costs (more about that in a second), Fordham would be insane, and BC would be a bad idea.

Are your parents paying some, or are you debt-financing all of the cost? If the latter, you are badly understating your debt load at repayment. From BC, you would owe ~$175K at repayment if you debt-financed everything. From Fordham, you would owe ~$235K.

In either payment situation, don't go to either school. Retake.
My parents are willing to to throw me 17k for the first year, and probably a lesser amount for the following years. I will be contributing 5k in savings. I guess I hadn't quite taken the interest into accoun. Those debt loads are indeed horrifying.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RoaringMice

Bronze

Post by RoaringMice » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 pm

generaltoast wrote:
Informative wrote:BC has better placement stats and it appears it will be cheaper. I'd go with BC.
Thanks for the input. I hear a lot of talk about having "ties" to the region you would like to be employed in. Do you think my never having lived in Boston could have a detriment on my employment prospects?
No. But you really should visit BC and Boston before you make this decision.

And I second the option of having you pick neither right now. Retake the LSAT, and reapply, hoping for more $$$ in scholarship.

RetakeFrenzy

Silver

Post by RetakeFrenzy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Living in NYC is too costly...and BC seems quite portable to NY. I'd take BC :)

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:53 pm

can you retake?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:01 pm

BCand Fordham are effectively peer schools. No way one is worth $40k more than the other

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Retake if all you want is biglaw. That debt level is too high for what is a substantial risk of not getting biglaw out of either school and a few more points will get you T13.

Your chances of not getting biglaw, and having to pay the debt back on a 60K salary, is probably about 65-60% from both schools.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:46 pm

Boston College between the two.

FWIW I had similar stats to yours as a senior in college (mid 160s, 3.6x); I prepped my application , PS, LoRs, ect, and then bailed and took a consulting job instead at fall recruiting when I saw the schools Id likely be admitted to.

I waited to apply until after id graduated (raised my GPA to over 3.7), worked consulting as solid WE, retook to 172 and got into CCN w/ $ and below with some WLs at HYS.

Consider the opportunity cost of a year of work/retaking vs having a significantly more employable degree or much lower debt.

Good luck

generaltoast

New

Post by generaltoast » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm currently attempting some last minute haggling for increased scholarship at BC. Retaking is an option I have highly considered. I interviewed all summer for paralegal jobs to get some WE, but came out with nothing.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:28 pm

generaltoast wrote:Thanks for the advice guys. I'm currently attempting some last minute haggling for increased scholarship at BC. Retaking is an option I have highly considered. I interviewed all summer for paralegal jobs to get some WE, but came out with nothing.
I would really encourage you to retake. I know it would suck to burn the deposit, but it's worth it for getting into a better school. I'd even work retail/something else random over a year to improve your outlook.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

generaltoast

New

Post by generaltoast » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 pm

Figured I would come back and update one of my very first TLS posts.

I ended up going Fordham and not retaking. Ended up 124K in the hole after graduation and interest capitalization, would have been much more had I not lived dirt cheap in the Bronx and financed my first year living with savings.

Scored biglaw, but at times I still wish I had taken the advice in this thread and retaken for a better school with more money. The debt load is a major buzzkill, even at a 180K salary.

TasmanianToucan

Silver

Post by TasmanianToucan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:13 pm

generaltoast wrote:
Thanks for updating! I wish everyone who did one of these threads would post an update. Congrats on having an ideal outcome under the circumstances.

generaltoast

New

Post by generaltoast » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:43 pm

No problem. I'd also like to add that I got biglaw by the skin of my teeth, despite being top 12%. Came out of OCI with one offer (maybe just a crap interviewer). Just noting that I could have landed myself in a very precarious situation, and biglaw is never a certainty.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”