Depressed and Disappointed - 163 LSAT w/ 3.6 GPA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lurknolonger

New

Depressed and Disappointed - 163 LSAT w/ 3.6 GPA

Post by lurknolonger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:51 pm

Long time lurker here, 3+ years, looking for some advice.

I am 23 years old going on my second year out of undergrad. I took the LSAT for the third time this October and received a 163. While I was proud of my hard-work, improving from an initial score in the low 150's, I know that a 163 still keeps me from breaking into the T20.

Having been a long time lurker, after scores released, I scoured the forums researching all the advice given to individuals within my GPA/LSAT range. Unfortunately, all the retake/jump-ship responses have left me quite depressed.

I thought I did everything right; I took the time off after undergrad to prepare for the LSAT, I tried talking myself out of law school, and I even tried jumping right into the work-force. Though, even given all the abysmal employment prospects, I can't keep myself away from the field. I have some decent connections in the north-east region (NY/NJ) and am going on my 4th year working/interning for a small firm.

With my current LSAT score, I am having a hard time selling myself on a school in my region. I have a unique situation that could land me instate tuition in either NY/NJ, but the area is so over-saturated! While I would have been initially content on attending an instate school like Rutgers/SUNY, the general response on TLS has been to stay away unless you can attend for nearly free.

I am not completely tied to NY/NJ, I actually despise city-life, and would be completely content living/working a little farther south. Even if I give myself some more flexibility it is still quite difficult to escape the blanket that the T14 has on the north-east.

I'm not getting any younger, I can't do anything with my bachelors degree, and my life is feeling more pathetic by the minute. I devoted so much time/effort to this field through work/internships and LSAT prep, only to let myself down with a measly 163. I truly enjoy the field of law, but I'm also a person of reason who is quite skeptical of walking straight into life-crippling debt.

I guess what this whole post boils down to is what TLS would do in my situation; 163 (3rd retake) with a 3.66 gpa and a strong desire to work in the field.

Are their any solid regional schools I should be looking at that would leave me with little debt and even a sparse chance at employment? Lastly, If I am going to attend a low ranked school I want to leave with as little debt as possible because I know that when I do find a job it will be because of my hard-work/determination and not the schools career advisers or reputation.

Sorry for the rambling, but you guys are my only hope of regaining my sanity - though I can already foresee a lot of negative responses :roll:.

Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Depressed and Disappointed - 163 LSAT w/ 3.6 GPA

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:55 pm

Try Iowa. FSU. Your numbers are outstanding for Hawaii which has a dual degree program (US & Canadian law degrees) with Victoria.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:58 pm

Retake.

ClarDarr

Bronze

Post by ClarDarr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:12 pm

I was kind of in similar shoes; I, despite trying very hard, could not bust out a good LSAT score. I managed to do alright in the end. You will too, whether it's in law or not. Sorry for my substanceless post; I just think you sound like you're a smart, hard-working person and there's no reason for despair.

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:15 pm

I appreciate all the messages/replies advising me to look towards schools in the mid-west, deep south, etc. Unfortunately I would prefer to stay in the North-East between Virginia and Boston. I know that really limits me and I'm sure you don't care about my personal reasons, so I'll just leave it at that.

Is RC/RN or any of the SUNY schools with a scholarship that terrible of an option? I would truly enjoy myself at either BC or W&L as I have been/seen both, but I know that even if I got in, which I wont, I would be jumping on a debt-grenade.

In order for me to retake I would have to wait 2 years :cry: .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 pm

Is there a SUNY law school ? CUNY, yes, but not sure about SUNY.

Rutgers-Camden may offer money, but it's still in Camden. And, maybe the best thing about Rutgers-Newark (also with money) is that it isn't in Camden.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 pm

ClarDarr wrote:I was kind of in similar shoes; I, despite trying very hard, could not bust out a good LSAT score. I managed to do alright in the end. You will too, whether it's in law or not. Sorry for my substanceless post; I just think you sound like you're a smart, hard-working person and there's no reason for despair.

No reason to apologize, I appreciate the concern and support nonetheless! :)

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Is there a SUNY law school ? CUNY, yes, but not sure about SUNY.

Rutgers-Camden may offer money, but it's still in Camden.

Yea SUNY-Buffalo: http://www.top-law-schools.com/buffalo-law-school.html

Camden does stink, same as Newark, but with instate and a solid scholarship there are worse choices I could make.

The only thing that a degree from Rutgers would help with is my connections. Though, I am not relying on those and also need to make my decision based on employment prospects. At first I heard good things about the gov't/clerkships coming out of Rutgers, but now those too seem to have been swooped up by failing T14 students and terrible salaries with a low success rate.
Last edited by lurknolonger on Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:21 pm

rad lulz wrote:Retake.
This. I've seen people jump 15+ points on the LSAT. There's no reason you can't push even higher. Get a private tutor for 1 on 1 work if you need to and if you have specific sections that you're doing particularly poor in.

Even getting your score up 3-4 points puts the T14 in your reach. You could be at Cornell with a 166-167.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Sorry, I thought that Canada had annexed Buffalo. :)

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:24 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sorry, I thought that Canada had annexed Buffalo. :)

lol +1

Coveted

New

Post by Coveted » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:28 pm

I am in a similar situation as I am waiting on my score from December and hoping to break into the 160 range.

If I land where you are, I wouldn't really know what to do either.

LSAT - The only test where a 88-90th percentile score won't do anything for you!

enigmabk

Bronze

Post by enigmabk » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm

im in an almost identical situation to you, pm me if you want to discuss.

fyi: fordham overperforms its peers for biglaw employment, you have a decent shot

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:32 pm

Chin up. You're not far away from a 170. 8 or so more questions correct and you'll be in a very good position

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:41 pm

minnbills wrote:Chin up. You're not far away from a 170. 8 or so more questions correct and you'll be in a very good position

Is it worth 2 years waiting for a retake? Remember I'm a 3rd time taker. Though, answer will probably be yes.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:45 pm

Is it two years from the time of his/her first test? Or the last test? Before he/she can retake.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:46 pm

Don't settle for a 163, but also don't put your life on hold for the LSAT. Try to find a job in a non-law field that you enjoy, save some money, spend time with your partner (I assume that's why you have regional requirements), and just kind of enjoy being twenty-something. The LSAT is so much easier to beat when you're not also suffering a quarter-life crisis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 am

If you can get a school to sponsor you, I think you can get a fourth LSAT even within the two-year window.

Wouldn't RU-N be pretty close to free with in-state plus whatever scholarship your numbers will get you? That wouldn't be terrible, but you would have a pretty high chance of having a bad outcome even though the debt wouldn't be too bad. Would you need loans for living expenses, too?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:07 am

somewhatwayward wrote:If you can get a school to sponsor you, I think you can get a fourth LSAT even within the two-year window.
Ya that policy ended; you have to petition LSAC

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:11 am

So for a retake...is it two years from your last test date or two years from your first test date? My understanding is that it's from the first test date.

bluepenguin

Bronze

Post by bluepenguin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:30 am

eav1277 wrote:So for a retake...is it two years from your last test date or two years from your first test date? My understanding is that it's from the first test date.
http://www.lsac.org/jd/lsat/about-the-lsat.asp

You can't take it more than three times in a two year window. For instance, if you've taken it three times since 9 February 2011, you can't sit for that test. If you took the December 2010 test and two after that, you would be eligible to take the February 2013 LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:05 am

lurknolonger wrote:
minnbills wrote:Chin up. You're not far away from a 170. 8 or so more questions correct and you'll be in a very good position

Is it worth 2 years waiting for a retake? Remember I'm a 3rd time taker. Though, answer will probably be yes.
Try the petition, and yes, I'd say it's worth it.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:12 am

OP, here is the key question: Have you done everything in your power to score high on this test? Only you know the answer to this question. I am in a similar boat as you.

Last year in December, I sat for the LSAT, knew I wasn't fully prepared and ended up canceling the score. I have been out of undergrad for 4 years. So you know what I did? I quit my $60K job just to study for this test. Like you, I have wanted to be an attorney for a very long time no matter the costs. I knew there was no way I would knock this test out of the park without quitting my job, so I left. Was it easy? Hell no it was not, especially in this economy. I know I am about to get a lot of people telling me how dumb I am for quitting my job, but you have to ask yourself this question: How bad do you want it? I knew I couldn't live with myself for the next 40 years knowing I did not give it my all for this test. I wanted to know what would happen if I had unlimited time to study for this test; I am about to find out in a few months. If I fail, I know I gave it my all. I can live with that.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 am

If retaking is out of the question, so is attending T14 or most of T1 at any price that would make it worthwhile. At this point, it would be best to quit focusing on maximizing the potential reward and start focusing on minimizing financial risk. Look to get a full-ride from a T3 with reasonable (no) stips.

You'll have a decreased chance of employment but that won't be much different from your current situation. At least you'll have a 40% chance of working in law, and little debt.

Camden offered me a full ride unsolicited with a 4.0/163 before I improved my LSAT score. they might offer you something similar. Just hit up LSN and identify the schools in your region who will throw big money your way. Then, evaluate your full rides and pick the one that gives you the best chance of success. Apply as soon as possible so that you get full scholarship consideration.

Best of luck.

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:28 am

Doorkeeper wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Retake.
This. I've seen people jump 15+ points on the LSAT. There's no reason you can't push even higher. Get a private tutor for 1 on 1 work if you need to and if you have specific sections that you're doing particularly poor in.

Even getting your score up 3-4 points puts the T14 in your reach. You could be at Cornell with a 166-167.
Do you really think this is possible? I'm sitting on a 3.6/166 and I'm literally praying for any one of the bottom T14.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”