Depressed and Disappointed - 163 LSAT w/ 3.6 GPA Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
somewhatwayward

Silver

Re: Depressed and Disappointed - 163 LSAT w/ 3.6 GPA

Post by somewhatwayward » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:01 pm

radar714 wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Retake.
This. I've seen people jump 15+ points on the LSAT. There's no reason you can't push even higher. Get a private tutor for 1 on 1 work if you need to and if you have specific sections that you're doing particularly poor in.

Even getting your score up 3-4 points puts the T14 in your reach. You could be at Cornell with a 166-167.
Do you really think this is possible? I'm sitting on a 3.6/166 and I'm literally praying for any one of the bottom T14.
I think you'd need a 167 minimum to get Cornell with a 3.6. My guess is they are already trying to get their median back to 168, and they aren't going to take a 167 without an above median, if not way above median, GPA attached. No harm in applying and seeing what happens, but if you want T14, I think you will have to retake.

sequenza

New

Post by sequenza » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 pm

I would send out some applications as a back up plan. However, why not retake the Feb. LSAT? You really have nothing to lose and I am sure you could break the top 20 with ajust few more points on your LSAT score. Good Luck

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

OP, I feel for your situation. Personally, I'd apply to all three NJ schools and all NY schools from Fordham on down (including SUNY Buffalo). See who gives you the most money, maybe try to negotiate with the others, and go to the place that leaves you with the least debt. Most likely, SUNY or Rutgers with in-state will be the best deal but Seton Hall or Brooklyn might surprise you with hefty scholarships.

If you really enjoyed what you're doing now then maybe my answer would be different (i.e., wait to retake). Just be wary of what you're walking into: the job prospects out of the schools are not good. Little or no debt would give you breathing room though, and if you're happy being in NY/NJ then I think this is the way to go.

kjones0127

New

Post by kjones0127 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Suffolk/Northeastern/BC/BU/Fordham/American/GWU/Villanova/Drexel/Fordham/U. Pitt/Penn State
Syracuse/Rutgers/Univ. Buffalo/Catholic/Seton Hall

Those are dont just off the top of my head, but you have plenty of options. Just because they aren't T-20 doesn't mean you won't end up anywhere.

You're already made connections in the legal field because of where you work now. So you have decent soft factors that will factor in that you aren't considering.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm

kjones0127 wrote:Suffolk/Northeastern/BC/BU/Fordham/American/GWU/Villanova/Drexel/Fordham/U. Pitt/Penn State

Those are dont just off the top of my head, but you have plenty of options. Just because they aren't T-20 doesn't mean you won't end up anywhere.

You're already made connections in the legal field because of where you work now. So you have decent soft factors that will factor in that you aren't considering.
The only schools I'd go to on that list are BC, BU, Fordham, and GW on MASSIVE scholarship, which OP won't get given his numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:08 pm

rad lulz wrote:
kjones0127 wrote:Suffolk/Northeastern/BC/BU/Fordham/American/GWU/Villanova/Drexel/Fordham/U. Pitt/Penn State

The only schools I'd go to on that list are BC, BU, Fordham, and GW on MASSIVE scholarship, which OP won't get given his numbers.
Rad, what is your scholarship at Vanderbilt? Just trying to get some perspective on what scholarships at what schools are worth it and what aren't.

OP I think you need to wait it out and keep on retaking until you can get yourself a school/scholarship that is worth it. If you can't/won't do that then you are, in the immortal words of Mr. Pancakes, disqualified.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:24 pm

lurknolonger wrote:I'm not getting any younger, I can't do anything with my bachelors degree, and my life is feeling more pathetic by the minute.
This is normal post-college shit you're feeling, but law school is not the answer. It's just a way to punt your angst but you'll be making things worse in the long run. It is not going to solve anything and may make things substantially worse.

If you must go, wait and retake.

nedzilla

New

Post by nedzilla » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:45 pm

I had a friend who just is not good at standardized tests and could not get out of the 150s on the LSAT. Ended up going to New York Law for one year, worked his ass off and transfered into GW Law school for his second and third year, graduated got a great job in NYC and just passed the bar.

dont give up, you never know, if its something you want there was ways to get it just work your butt off to make it happen.

just make sure you really want it.

Circlewave

Bronze

Post by Circlewave » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:55 pm

i have stats pretty similar to those; i applied. granted, i'm not a biglaw-or-bust guy. there's a lot of schools that could be attended relatively cheaply with those numbers.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:18 am

nedzilla wrote:I had a friend who just is not good at standardized tests and could not get out of the 150s on the LSAT. Ended up going to New York Law for one year, worked his ass off and transfered into GW Law school for his second and third year, graduated got a great job in NYC and just passed the bar.

dont give up, you never know, if its something you want there was ways to get it just work your butt off to make it happen.

just make sure you really want it.
Yeah bro everyone can just win the transfer lottery. Got it.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 am

Circlewave wrote:i have stats pretty similar to those; i applied. granted, i'm not a biglaw-or-bust guy. there's a lot of schools that could be attended relatively cheaply with those numbers.
Why do people assume that biglaw is the only competitive area in which to get a legal job. At least someone with good grades from a T14 school can be pretty sure they can land biglaw. Some of these smaller firms hire as needed and/or don't advertise positions. Local govts tend to be broke and don't hire many people. Govt. jobs that had high turnover have seen turnover decrease as people hold on to those jobs for dear life.

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:41 am

rad lulz wrote:
Circlewave wrote:i have stats pretty similar to those; i applied. granted, i'm not a biglaw-or-bust guy. there's a lot of schools that could be attended relatively cheaply with those numbers.
Why do people assume that biglaw is the only competitive area in which to get a legal job. At least someone with good grades from a T14 school can be pretty sure they can land biglaw. Some of these smaller firms hire as needed and/or don't advertise positions. Local govts tend to be broke and don't hire many people. Govt. jobs that had high turnover have seen turnover decrease as people hold on to those jobs for dear life.
Don't think anyone assumes that. But even many T3 schools have 55%+ employment rates in full-time JD req work. I think the real point is the obvious one- that legal jobs are attainable even outside the T14. You don't have to be depressed about your 163, but you should adjust your strategy to minimize debts.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:50 am

Check out your results on lawschoolpredictor.com if you haven't already. You get a strong consider at U of Maryland and an admit at American University. Granted they aren't T14 but they are still T1 schools. I think if law is something that you really want to pursue, don't let not getting into a T14 stop you. Are you going to get a job making 6 figures out of law school? No, but you can still get a job. Three members of my family are practicing lawyers and none of them went to T14 schools. Hell, none of them went to good schools at all! lol All TTT schools and they all have jobs. Two of them just graduated a year ago (May 2011). You will survive. If this is really what you want to do, do it. This website has a lot of good information but I think they hype over T14 schools is a little over played. Regardless of what you do, good luck to you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:02 am

Janitor, your poast is the stupidest thing I've read in ages.

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Check out your results on lawschoolpredictor.com if you haven't already. You get a strong consider at U of Maryland and an admit at American University. Granted they aren't T14 but they are still T1 schools.
LOL T1 is a meaningless distinction.
I think if law is something that you really want to pursue, don't let not getting into a T14 stop you. Are you going to get a job making 6 figures out of law school? No, but you can still get a job.

From American and UMD, you can, if you come out on the right side of a coin flip. Oh wait, actually it's even worse than a coin flip.

American - 35% in real legal jobs

UMD - 47% in real legal jobs
Three members of my family are practicing lawyers and none of them went to T14 schools. Hell, none of them went to good schools at all! lol All TTT schools and they all have jobs. Two of them just graduated a year ago (May 2011). You will survive. If this is really what you want to do, do it. This website has a lot of good information but I think they hype over T14 schools is a little over played. Regardless of what you do, good luck to you!
Disregard statistics, acquire anecdotes.

Circlewave

Bronze

Post by Circlewave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:10 am

rad lulz wrote:
i recognize that; i meant to express that if OP is that firmly set on going to law school, he might as well apply, because he'll get in a lot of places.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 am

Circlewave wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
i recognize that; i meant to express that if OP is that firmly set on going to law school, he might as well apply, because he'll get in a lot of places.
Being firmly set on going to law school when you have mediocre numbers and nothing else going for you (dad who can get you hired, etc.) is the height of retardation. Just getting in to law school doesn't mean jack crap.

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 am

First off, I apologize for taking this long to respond to my own thread.

Secondly, I would like to thank everyone for their feedback however positive/negative or sarcastic/kind.

I understand all perspectives and approaches displayed throughout this thread. As a long time lurker, I had a pretty solid foresight of what was to come of my post.

Taking everyone's advice into consideration here is my plan.

I am going to blanket a lot of schools that have interested me, within my respective numbers range. While I can already dismiss many of these based off of prospective job outlooks, potential lack of scholarship, and abysmal COA, it cant hurt to send out an app.

If upon receiving my offers I am not pleased with my results, I will withdraw and wait to retake the LSAT. Barring a good scholarship to a regional school or a low-stip full ride, you will most likely find me on the LSAT prep board.

Here is my list plus my thought-process, let me know if anyone recommends another school I should add:

University of Minnesota Law School - (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University - (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)

Rutgers Camden - (Regional + Instate - Scholarship)
Rutgers Newark - (Regional +Instate - Scholarship)
SUNY Buffalo Law School - (Regional + Instate - Scholarship)
University of Richmond School of Law - (Regional - Scholarship - Environment)

St. John's University School of Law (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)
Seton Hall University School of Law (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)

Boston College Law School - (Long Shot - Love the Area/School)
Washington and Lee University School of Law - (Long Shot - Love the Area/School)
William & Mary Law School - (Long Shot - Love the Area/School)

Fordham University School of Law - (Why Not? - Curious)
Last edited by lurknolonger on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lurknolonger

New

Post by lurknolonger » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:28 am

rad lulz wrote:
Circlewave wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
Being firmly set on going to law school when you have mediocre numbers and nothing else going for you (dad who can get you hired, etc.) is the height of retardation. Just getting in to law school doesn't mean jack crap.

So you are inferring that someone who has a love/desire to practice law is a retard because he is planning on attending law school? Scoring a 163 on the lsat places you around the 88-90th percentile. This must mean that anyone who went to law school with lower numbers all made a retarded decision?

I respect your strong desire to scare people away from making a bad life choice, but I think you are taking it a bit too far with this remark.
Last edited by lurknolonger on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheJanitor6203

Silver

Post by TheJanitor6203 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:29 am

rad lulz wrote:Janitor, your poast is the stupidest thing I've read in ages.

TheJanitor6203 wrote:Check out your results on lawschoolpredictor.com if you haven't already. You get a strong consider at U of Maryland and an admit at American University. Granted they aren't T14 but they are still T1 schools.
I think if law is something that you really want to pursue, don't let not getting into a T14 stop you. Are you going to get a job making 6 figures out of law school? No, but you can still get a job.

From American and UMD, you can, if you come out on the right side of a coin flip. Oh wait, actually it's even worse than a coin flip.

Three members of my family are practicing lawyers and none of them went to T14 schools. Hell, none of them went to good schools at all! lol All TTT schools and they all have jobs. Two of them just graduated a year ago (May 2011). You will survive. If this is really what you want to do, do it. This website has a lot of good information but I think they hype over T14 schools is a little over played. Regardless of what you do, good luck to you!
Yes, I get all of that. My point is, the OP really wants to go to law school and sounds like he would be happy practicing law regardless. So if that is the case, then he should go. And yes, the percentages are good to look at but that isn't the end all of it. Of the three people in my family who are practicing law one went to school in the 90's and can't really be considered in this but the other two both graduated a year ago from Oklahoma City University (unranked). One has a job with Bank of America and the other is working at a 8 lawyer litigation firm in Dallas. The odds were against them but they got jobs.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 am

TheJanitor6203 wrote:
rad lulz wrote:Janitor, your poast is the stupidest thing I've read in ages.

Yes, I get all of that. My point is, the OP really wants to go to law school and sounds like he would be happy practicing law regardless. So if that is the case, then he should go. And yes, the percentages are good to look at but that isn't the end all of it. Of the three people in my family who are practicing law one went to school in the 90's and can't really be considered in this but the other two both graduated a year ago from Oklahoma City University (unranked). One has a job with Bank of America and the other is working at a 8 lawyer litigation firm in Dallas. The odds were against them but they got jobs.
Your assumptions are showing.

You are assuming that OP will be able to get a job. You can't be happy practicing law if you never even get the opportunity to practice law. You also probably can't be happy practicing law if you are doing doc review or ID with 200K in debt because you landed in the bottom half at W&L or American or Maryland. Honestly, I think American might be the biggest dung heap in the entire country because it has atrocious employment statistics but somehow attracts people with its "T1" preftige. Employment out of schools like TJSOL is also terrible but at least you don't have people coming on here saying that they were thinking of taking the scholarship at Phoenix but didn't want to give up the preftige of TJSOL. /rant

No one is telling OP not to go to law school. We are telling OP to hold out for a good deal whether that is a school with very good employment outcomes or whether that is a school on the cheap. A decidedly terrible outcome would be to choose a low T1 at sticker over the full-ride at Rutgers. A moderately terrible outcome is choosing the full-ride at Rutgers over retaking.

Circlewave

Bronze

Post by Circlewave » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:45 am

I applied to one of your 'long shot' schools; assuming medians and applicants decline or at the very least, hold steady, you're by no means an auto-ding. If anything, you're actually around median. Your LSAT puts you at the 87th percentile if you took Oct 2012. You can get in somewhere, and you can get a job. Be positive, buddy :)

Edit: of course that's if you work hard, get whatever %, blah blah blah etc.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dirtrida2

Bronze

Post by dirtrida2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:03 pm

lurknolonger wrote:First off, I apologize for taking this long to respond to my own thread.

Secondly, I would like to thank everyone for their feedback however positive/negative or sarcastic/kind.

I understand all perspectives and approaches displayed throughout this thread. As a long time lurker, I had a pretty solid foresight of what was to come of my post.

Taking everyone's advice into consideration here is my plan.

I am going to blanket a lot of schools that have interested me, within my respective numbers range. While I can already dismiss many of these based off of prospective job outlooks, potential lack of scholarship, and abysmal COA, it cant hurt to send out an app.

If upon receiving my offers I am not pleased with my results, I will withdraw and wait to retake the LSAT. Barring a good scholarship to a regional school or a low-stip full ride, you will most likely find me on the LSAT prep board.

Here is my list plus my thought-process, let me know if anyone recommends another school I should add:

University of Minnesota Law School - (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)
Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Yeshiva University - (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)

Rutgers Camden - (Regional + Instate - Scholarship)
Rutgers Newark - (Regional +Instate - Scholarship)
SUNY Buffalo Law School - (Regional + Instate - Scholarship)
University of Richmond School of Law - (Regional - Scholarship - Environment)

St. John's University School of Law (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)
Seton Hall University School of Law (Fee Waiver - Bargaining Chip)

Boston College Law School - (Long Shot - Love the Area/School)
Washington and Lee University School of Law - (Long Shot - Love the Area/School)
William & Mary Law School - (Long Shot - Love the Area/School)

Fordham University School of Law - (Why Not? - Curious)
Not a bad list, just please don't attend any of these schools at sticker. If one of the regionals gives you a fat scholly then go for it, but if you have any doubts just wait it out and retake.

GL

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 pm

I took the LSAT for the first time this October at age 26. I am retaking in June 2013 — a month later I will turn 27.

Two years may seem like a lot now, but think about the benefits of a higher score. You can't justify riding that 163 and calling it quits now.

m1kex

New

Post by m1kex » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:57 pm

I think that this is all too crazy. The majority of the population can't even get into the 160s, and you're depressed because you scored a 163? So what if a T14 won't take you? Since when is that the end of the world? Since when does a T14 determine your future. Dude, look in terms of the long run. Stop wasting your time. Get into a law school, graduate, take the bar, become a lawyer and then work your ass off. Become your own man, become successful. a T14 won't make or break you. I know a guy who graduated Brooklyn Law School who is a millionaire and a guy who went to Harvard for undergrad and Georgetown for Law School and reconsidered his career, decided he wanted to be a doctor, is currently taking undergrad prereqs at Hunter, and is tutoring to earn his living. So, I mean... what is this depressed stuff? The future is in your hands. I'm highly against spending another 2 years to try and re-take the test instead of spending those two years at an accelerated JD program for example. I don't know who your mentors are in life, but bro. Stop obsessing. Get your shit together and head in the game, and GO. TO. LAW. SCHOOL.

sittykitty

Bronze

Post by sittykitty » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:20 pm

m1kex wrote:I think that this is all too crazy. The majority of the population can't even get into the 160s, and you're depressed because you scored a 163? So what if a T14 won't take you? Since when is that the end of the world? Since when does a T14 determine your future. Dude, look in terms of the long run. Stop wasting your time. Get into a law school, graduate, take the bar, become a lawyer and then work your ass off. Become your own man, become successful. a T14 won't make or break you. I know a guy who graduated Brooklyn Law School who is a millionaire and a guy who went to Harvard for undergrad and Georgetown for Law School and reconsidered his career, decided he wanted to be a doctor, is currently taking undergrad prereqs at Hunter, and is tutoring to earn his living. So, I mean... what is this depressed stuff? The future is in your hands. I'm highly against spending another 2 years to try and re-take the test instead of spending those two years at an accelerated JD program for example. I don't know who your mentors are in life, but bro. Stop obsessing. Get your shit together and head in the game, and GO. TO. LAW. SCHOOL.
Dude this thread is from 2012

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”