Detailed C/O 2011 Employment Data (T25) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grimfan

New

Re: Detailed C/O 2011 Employment Data (T25)

Post by grimfan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:57 am

Greenandgold wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:I thought Texas was safe.... So 0L question here: If a little under 35% account for Fed clerkships + firms, what happens to other 65%? Would this be shit law, govt., etc?

Thanks a ton for posting this.
Amazing chart. Columbia and Penn are looking fantastic.

ETA: why is academic included in this? In tons of other threads I've seen people refer to academic placement in the ABA data as a positive thing. Not that it should be, just wondering what the reasoning is behind viewing it negatively.
What makes Columbia and Penn particularly fantastic?

Sorry, I'm not too sure on how to correctly interpret that graph.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:03 am

grimfan wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:
rayiner wrote:
dkb17xzx wrote:I thought Texas was safe.... So 0L question here: If a little under 35% account for Fed clerkships + firms, what happens to other 65%? Would this be shit law, govt., etc?

Thanks a ton for posting this.
Amazing chart. Columbia and Penn are looking fantastic.

ETA: why is academic included in this? In tons of other threads I've seen people refer to academic placement in the ABA data as a positive thing. Not that it should be, just wondering what the reasoning is behind viewing it negatively.

Just that they're on par with YSH. Not that any school really looks that great. It's pretty obviously a bad time to go to law school when even Yale is having to hire their own graduates.

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:33 am

Just that they're on par with YSH. Not that any school really looks that great. It's pretty obviously a bad time to go to law school when even Yale is having to hire their own graduates.
I wouldn't just give Harvard and Yale a pass for hiring their own graduates, but they didn't have a huge explosion in law-school funded fellowships between 2010 and 2011, like several schools did. When Columbia goes from 5 to 38 law school funded jobs there aren't many ways to interpret it except to say a lot more people had a tough time finding jobs.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:10 am

ahnhub wrote:

I wouldn't just give Harvard and Yale a pass for hiring their own graduates, but they didn't have a huge explosion in law-school funded fellowships between 2010 and 2011, like several schools did. When Columbia goes from 5 to 38 law school funded jobs there aren't many ways to interpret it except to say a lot more people had a tough time finding jobs.
As you go up the hierarchy, some of the assumptions become questionable. A lot of Yale's fellowships seem legit, and they had a bunch for 2010 too. On the other hand, in 2010 a shit ton of people got no-offered without regard to school, so that doesn't necessarily mean the fellowships are all legit. Harvard did have a large increase in fellowships, and someone published that only 77% of their OCI participants that year got something. So Harvard's being comparable to Columbia on that chart is probably correct.

Pate

Bronze

Post by Pate » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:19 pm

Tag

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:43 am

tag

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 pm

From all accounts I've heard form people at the schools themselves...CLS and NYU seem to be considered peers.

So then what explains the disparity?

Could self-selection into PI swing that many people?

otnemem

Bronze

Post by otnemem » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:20 am

So then what explains the disparity?

Could self-selection into PI swing that many people?
Most people on TLS seem to think it's just self-selection. Some people think CLS has a tiny placement advantage. There is really no way to know for sure. Regardless, if you are in at both schools you should be deciding based on cost of attendance and personal fit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”