Cost of Attendance Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Cost of Attendance

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:07 am

Nice work. According to 2010 ABA-LSAC Official Guide:
FSU COL = 18,575
Maryland COL = 24,460
Hastings COL = 19,293
Georgetown COL = 21,235
UCLA COL = 20,292
IU-B COL = 13,495
Alabama COL = 16,871
I'm guessing these are a little higher now. I know IUB went up a couple hundred last year

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:09 am

JamMasterJ wrote:Nice work. According to 2010 ABA-LSAC Official Guide:
FSU COL = 18,575
Maryland COL = 24,460
Hastings COL = 19,293
Georgetown COL = 21,235
UCLA COL = 20,292
IU-B COL = 13,495
Alabama COL = 16,871
I'm guessing these are a little higher now. I know IUB went up a couple hundred last year
For one year at UMD they estimate 24k??? That seems very high, esp compared to Georgetown, but I've never lived in Baltimore.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 am

DeeCee wrote:
FSU COL = 18,575
Maryland COL = 24,460
Hastings COL = 19,293
Georgetown COL = 21,235
UCLA COL = 20,292
IU-B COL = 13,495
Alabama COL = 16,871
For one year at UMD they estimate 24k??? That seems very high, esp compared to Georgetown, but I've never lived in Baltimore.
Yeah, that is living somewhere nicer than a law student should. 1 grand a month can get a nice one bedroom apt in Bmore or a studio right in the heart of downtown

Edit: I take that back, it can get you a nice 2 bedroom downtown http://www.rent.com/rentals/maryland/ba ... 9930/?sp=1

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am

AreJay711 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
FSU COL = 18,575
Maryland COL = 24,460
Hastings COL = 19,293
Georgetown COL = 21,235
UCLA COL = 20,292
IU-B COL = 13,495
Alabama COL = 16,871
Yeah, that is living somewhere nicer than a law student should. 1 grand a month can get a nice one bedroom apt in Bmore or a studio right in the heart of downtown
this is the major problem I have. I think some schools over estimate and others expect you to live like a miser. I didn't want to just start guessing myself though so I used the school's estimations.

and thanks jammaster. first link is updated.

$1.99

Silver

Post by $1.99 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:46 pm

tagged

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Tue May 10, 2011 3:30 pm

FuManChusco wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:
FSU COL = 18,575
Maryland COL = 24,460
Hastings COL = 19,293
Georgetown COL = 21,235
UCLA COL = 20,292
IU-B COL = 13,495
Alabama COL = 16,871
this is the major problem I have. I think some schools over estimate and others expect you to live like a miser. I didn't want to just start guessing myself though so I used the school's estimations.

and thanks jammaster. first link is updated.
That 's true. For instance, I have hear that Vandy highballs their COL a lot

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue May 10, 2011 8:28 pm

Added to the Useful Links Thread.

KenrichMatt

New

Post by KenrichMatt » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:18 am

:shock: :shock: it's too expensive,if exchange to RMB ,that's almost 1.5 million... :(

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 am

Do you know by any chance if H/Y/S base their scholarships on COA or on tuition fee?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:32 am

InterLaw wrote:Do you know by any chance if H/Y/S base their scholarships on COA or on tuition fee?
Assuming I'm reading your question correctly, pretty much all schools only consider tuition. COL stipends are extremely rare (and extremely unlikely at HYS because of their need-based approach to scholarships).

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
InterLaw wrote:Do you know by any chance if H/Y/S base their scholarships on COA or on tuition fee?
Assuming I'm reading your question correctly, pretty much all schools only consider tuition. COL stipends are extremely rare (and extremely unlikely at HYS because of their need-based approach to scholarships).
My fault, I wrote during a lecture without paying attention to this. More straight forward: How do H Y S evaluate their scholarship? (or where could I find out this)
I know they are need based, but what are the factors in play? What do you need for a full/close to full? - it may be worth a new thread maybe, or a better search in past threads...

Also, thanks OP for the great spreadsheet!

Necho2

Bronze

Post by Necho2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:31 pm

InterLaw wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
My fault, I wrote during a lecture without paying attention to this. More straight forward: How do H Y S evaluate their scholarship? (or where could I find out this)
I know they are need based, but what are the factors in play? What do you need for a full/close to full? - it may be worth a new thread maybe, or a better search in past threads...

Also, thanks OP for the great spreadsheet!
Since they are all need-based, I'd recommend you look at their financial aid handbooks for guidance. I only closely scrutinized SLS, but you should be able to piece together a pretty good sense of what a grant might look like based on that. There's generally a required amount of the total cost they expect anyone, even those getting full need aid, to shoulder, but I know that sometimes by both disputing their COL estimate (upwards based on individual factors) and living more frugally than they plan, you can stretch their grant money further than they expect and graduate with fewer loans.

icechicken

Bronze

Post by icechicken » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:38 pm

InterLaw wrote:I know they are need based, but what are the factors in play? What do you need for a full/close to full? - it may be worth a new thread maybe, or a better search in past threads...
They don't really do full.

https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... report.pdf
https://www-cdn.law.stanford.edu/wp-con ... -17-56.pdf
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... Report.pdf

You're expected to take out as much as you reasonably can in loans, and then they top off people of limited financial means with smallish-medium grants to keep the debt load manageable. It works because a HYS degree pretty much guarantees you'll have access either to a biglaw salary or LRAP if you want it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:56 pm

icechicken wrote:
InterLaw wrote:I know they are need based, but what are the factors in play? What do you need for a full/close to full? - it may be worth a new thread maybe, or a better search in past threads...
They don't really do full.

https://law.yale.edu/system/files/area/ ... report.pdf
https://www-cdn.law.stanford.edu/wp-con ... -17-56.pdf
http://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/ ... Report.pdf

You're expected to take out as much as you reasonably can in loans, and then they top off people of limited financial means with smallish-medium grants to keep the debt load manageable. It works because a HYS degree pretty much guarantees you'll have access either to a biglaw salary or LRAP if you want it.
Right... Well, I'll open a thread because my situation is pretty much strange!
Thanks tho!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:13 pm

InterLaw wrote:How do H Y S evaluate their scholarship? (or where could I find out this)
If you're under 29 then parental income and assets are considered in addition to your own income and assets.
Even with full need-based aid you're still looking at around $150k in loans. A full need grant will cover the difference between the $150k and what sticker COA (yes, tuition + living and other expenses) would be.
http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... -packages/

So HYS won't ever be free through need-aid no matter how poor you are.

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:48 pm

Rigo wrote:
InterLaw wrote:How do H Y S evaluate their scholarship? (or where could I find out this)
If you're under 29 then parental income and assets are considered in addition to your own income and assets.
Even with full need-based aid you're still looking at around $150k in loans. A full need grant will cover the difference between the $150k and what sticker COA (yes, tuition + living and other expenses) would be.

I don't see where that 150k comes from though... Is it the 30ish K that you'll still have to pay in tuition fees + COL?
Thanks!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:09 pm

InterLaw wrote:
Rigo wrote:

I don't see where that 150k comes from though... Is it the 30ish K that you'll still have to pay in tuition fees + COL?
Thanks!
$48k base loan per year x3
I rounded up.
You're on the hook for the base loan no matter what your financial situation is.
Y&S have a similar deal.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

InterLaw

Bronze

Post by InterLaw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:55 am

Rigo wrote:
InterLaw wrote:
Rigo wrote:

Thanks!
$48k base loan per year x3
I rounded up.
You're on the hook for the base loan no matter what your financial situation is.
Y&S have a similar deal.
Thank you, I just read it carefully and it does make sense! That loan is not private though, which was my fear! They have school loans for international students unable to access fed loans

savvyrookie

New

Post by savvyrookie » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:46 am

This is a very useful resource.

Just wanted to get some clarification on the "Texas" entry. I'm assuming you mean UT-Austin? I'd appreciate the clarification.

Thanks

marbl2020

New

Post by marbl2020 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:29 am

Rigo wrote:

I’m 28 but I’ll be 29 when the academic year begins. How does this shake out for me?

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 pm

marbl2020 wrote:I’m 28 but I’ll be 29 when the academic year begins. How does this shake out for me?
Harvard Law School wrote:Harvard Law School always considers parent resources when determining eligibility for its need-based institutional grant and loan funds. There is an exception to this policy for students who turn 29 by September 1 of the academic year for which they are applying for aid.
See https://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financ ... resources/ and https://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financ ... resources/

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

marbl2020

New

Post by marbl2020 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:03 pm

Thanks for these links. I'm wondering about this part:
Any student applying for need-based grant aid (or who intend to apply for loan repayment assistance from LIPP in the future) who either receives income from trust/estate OR is the future beneficiary of income or assets held within an IRREVOCABLE trust/estate must report the value of the trust/estate as part of their assets.
My father's will states that I will inherit his house. Does this mean that I list my father's house among my assets? That inflates my net worth tremendously.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”