St. Thomas vs. Nova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Re: St. Thomas vs. Nova

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:51 pm

GW, I know the original is floating around here somewhere. Just delightful late night reading.

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:52 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:GW, I know the original is floating around here somewhere. Just delightful late night reading.
If found, plz post.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:53 pm

64.8% of St Thomas Grads are known to be employed 9 mos after graduation
75% of those in Bar Required Positions
85.7% of which are in full time positions

So if you do the math -
If you actually make it to graduation, you have a 43.96% chance of becoming an actual full time lawyer 9 months after graduating

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 pm

classix wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:GW, I know the original is floating around here somewhere. Just delightful late night reading.
If found, plz post.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... barry+nova

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:55 pm

aliarrow wrote:
classix wrote:
If found, plz post.
+fucking1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:58 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
classix wrote:
If found, plz post.
+fucking1
Made my day. 8)

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

--ImageRemoved--

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:07 pm

My real identity might be on page 10 of the original Barry v. Nova thread...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:09 pm

I had completely forgotten about Florida Coastal as an institution until going through NorB. I think the OP needs to seriously consider there; opens up the north FL legal market for them!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:11 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:I had completely forgotten about Florida Coastal as an institution until going through NorB. I think the OP needs to seriously consider there; opens up the north FL legal market for them!
What's peculiar is that the largest city in Florida doesn't have a decent law school...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:12 pm

aliarrow wrote:What's peculiar is that Florida doesn't have a decent law school...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Retake or don't go.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:15 pm

FeelTheHeat wrote:
aliarrow wrote:What's peculiar is that Florida doesn't have a decent law school...
That too. Seriously, we're the 4th largest state and our best school is #47?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:18 pm

aliarrow wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
You're the 4th largest state with no serious economy to speak of that would support a large legal market...

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:22 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
FeelTheHeat wrote:
You're the 4th largest state with no serious economy to speak of that would support a large legal market...
Because Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, Connecticut, Michigan, North Carolina, Alabama, Wisconsin, Arizona, Maryland, and Utah all have such enormous thriving economies?

ETA: Florida has the 4th largest economy in the US, contributing $754,000,000,000 annually, or 5.2% of the total US GDP.
Last edited by aliarrow on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Its the gel man wrote:One thing that appeals to me about Nova is the program they have in Barcelona where you can get boarded in both Europe and Florida. Is this worth anything?
It's worth more debt before they send you out into joblessville.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:26 pm

aliarrow wrote:
Because Missouri, Iowa, Indiana, Connecticut, Michigan, North Carolina, Alabama, Wisconsin, Arizona, Maryland, and Utah all have such enormous thriving economies?
The ones in bold at one time or another had economies that were suited, so yes. I was commenting on the fact that the size of your state (population or geography [lol]) isn't determinative for the health of the legal market.

I never said anything about Iowa, but if you want to know, it's AT LEAST PRODUCING SOMETHING.

I'm not going to write anything lengthy on why the Florida economy is ill-suited for BIGLAW MARKET.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 pm

St. Thomas in MN is a pretty decent school

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:28 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
aliarrow wrote:
The ones in bold at one time or another had economies that were suited, so yes. I was commenting on the fact that the size of your state (population or geography [lol]) isn't determinative for the health of the legal market.

I never said anything about Iowa, but if you want to know, it's AT LEAST PRODUCING SOMETHING.

I'm not going to write anything lengthy on why the Florida economy is ill-suited for BIGLAW MARKET.
We're producing 6 schools worth of TTT lawyers, thank you.

aliarrow

Silver

Post by aliarrow » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:29 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
aliarrow wrote:

I don't even know how I got in the position of defending Florida. Its a s*** hole of a state with a foreclosure and tourism based economy and one of the worst education systems in the US.

classix

New

Post by classix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:45 pm

OP should consider the Certificate in International Law from FCSL.

Not only well he have a JD then, but also a Certificate. This could give him a leg up with wachtell.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2things2

Bronze

Post by 2things2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:07 am

1. i had to reread the thread when i realized we're not talking about villanova
2. these schools seem like they'd be amazing for someone with a lot of money who wanted to just fuck around for 3 years and get a j.d. just to say they have a j.d.
3. i'm not sure you should go to either of these schools
4. i'm not sure you should go to law school

Rimalaw

New

Post by Rimalaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:05 pm

The negative comments here clearly do not live in South Florida, and have no clue about St. Thomas University School of Law. I attended St. Thomas many years ago, and have done quite well for myself as have every one of my classmates. Four (4) of my classmates (from a small school Class) are now judges, one is a famous commentator, Ms. Ana Navarro on CNN and the View, several work for the federal government in high-level jobs or are in large law firm’s like Greenberg, Holland, and others. Even Jose Baez from the famous Casey Anthony Trial was in my class. If you’re going to graduate at the bottom of your class, I don’t know what your options will be at any school. But if you do halfway decent, I do not see how you will not do well in the workforce. And yes, the school has a lot of camaraderie and teachers that give you time. I loved my time there, and could have transferred anywhere with my grades and CHOSE not to.

With that said, I think there are way too many law schools all over the country, especially in Florida, and too many people are going to law school who will hate the practice of law and be in debt for over $100,000 for a career they despise. The better question do you really want to be a lawyer?

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:49 pm

Rimalaw wrote:The negative comments here clearly do not live in South Florida, and have no clue about St. Thomas University School of Law. I attended St. Thomas many years ago, and have done quite well for myself as have every one of my classmates. Four (4) of my classmates (from a small school Class) are now judges, one is a famous commentator, Ms. Ana Navarro on CNN and the View, several work for the federal government in high-level jobs or are in large law firm’s like Greenberg, Holland, and others. Even Jose Baez from the famous Casey Anthony Trial was in my class. If you’re going to graduate at the bottom of your class, I don’t know what your options will be at any school. But if you do halfway decent, I do not see how you will not do well in the workforce. And yes, the school has a lot of camaraderie and teachers that give you time. I loved my time there, and could have transferred anywhere with my grades and CHOSE not to.

With that said, I think there are way too many law schools all over the country, especially in Florida, and too many people are going to law school who will hate the practice of law and be in debt for over $100,000 for a career they despise. The better question do you really want to be a lawyer?
Thanks for reviving a thread from 2011 with your boomer thoughts on how anyone can succeed with hard work and a good attitude while ignoring the realities of the legal profession for entry level candidates.

bokampers

New

Post by bokampers » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:49 pm

I'm from south Florida. Can confirm that St. Thomas is widely recognized as a festering shithole

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”