St. Thomas vs. Nova Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Vianco

New

Re: St. Thomas vs. Nova

Post by Vianco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm

taxnstuff wrote:I didnt even know nova existed until reading this, I thought you were talking about villanova.
When I saw St. Thomas I thought he was talking about the St. Thomas Law School in Minnesota :lol:

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 pm

Great bump!

beinghuman

Post by beinghuman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:46 am

So you know the schools aren't great and yet you still want to go? Are you sure this is a judicious choice that you will not come to regret?
Also, if Barcelona is appealing to you, just go spend a summer there, it would be a much cheaper option. Getting boarded in Spain is pretty much useless...
Its the gel man wrote:They're both 4th tier, but which one is better? I would love to live in Miami, but am not sure about St. Thomas' reputation reputation. Well, both the school's reputation suck, to be honest, but I'm most likely going to have to choose between one or the other. One thing that appeals to me about Nova is the program they have in Barcelona where you can get boarded in both Europe and Florida. Is this worth anything? Which one would you choose?

P.S. Taking the LSAT over is not an option

TirantMartorell

Bronze

Post by TirantMartorell » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:19 am

Rimalaw wrote:The negative comments here clearly do not live in South Florida, and have no clue about St. Thomas University School of Law. I attended St. Thomas many years ago, and have done quite well for myself as have every one of my classmates. Four (4) of my classmates (from a small school Class) are now judges, one is a famous commentator, Ms. Ana Navarro on CNN and the View, several work for the federal government in high-level jobs or are in large law firm’s like Greenberg, Holland, and others. Even Jose Baez from the famous Casey Anthony Trial was in my class. If you’re going to graduate at the bottom of your class, I don’t know what your options will be at any school. But if you do halfway decent, I do not see how you will not do well in the workforce. And yes, the school has a lot of camaraderie and teachers that give you time. I loved my time there, and could have transferred anywhere with my grades and CHOSE not to.

With that said, I think there are way too many law schools all over the country, especially in Florida, and too many people are going to law school who will hate the practice of law and be in debt for over $100,000 for a career they despise. The better question do you really want to be a lawyer?
I'm a lawyer in Miami at a big firm and I can confirm that both St. Thomas and Nova are terrible schools. Are there successful people who graduate from these schools? Sure, even the worst schools in America will have some successful graduates. For the vast majority of students, these two schools are a direct path to a lifetime of debt and financial ruin. Big firms do not recruit from these schools, Ana Navarro does not work as an attorney, and becoming a judge in Miami has little to do with academic credentials or your competence. Our judges are elected. If you are from Miami and cannot get into at least FIU and/or UM, you probably have no business going to law school. St. Thomas should probably close since there are already 2 other law schools in Miami - one of which is public and relatively cheap (FIU). Nova can perhaps remain to service Broward and Palm Beach students but it should cut its class size in half.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Is there any connection between St. Thomas the school and the virgin island?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Young Marino

Silver

Post by Young Marino » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:50 am

I'm an attorney at a boutique firm in South Florida. I got accepted into both St. Thomas and Nova with a full scholarship from St. Thomas and a Half tuition scholarship from Nova. Both are regional schools but Nova is the better school by far. Nova carries more weight throughout the State of FL and places much better in terms of job prospects in Palm Beach, Broward and does relatively well in Miami. St. Thomas is basically limited to ONLY Miami. Nova has better bar passage rates as well. I can tell you that nobody cares about moot court, law review experience outside of law school. You're better off going to Nova.

Vianco

New

Post by Vianco » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:12 am

beinghuman wrote:So you know the schools aren't great and yet you still want to go? Are you sure this is a judicious choice that you will not come to regret?
Also, if Barcelona is appealing to you, just go spend a summer there, it would be a much cheaper option. Getting boarded in Spain is pretty much useless...
Its the gel man wrote:They're both 4th tier, but which one is better? I would love to live in Miami, but am not sure about St. Thomas' reputation reputation. Well, both the school's reputation suck, to be honest, but I'm most likely going to have to choose between one or the other. One thing that appeals to me about Nova is the program they have in Barcelona where you can get boarded in both Europe and Florida. Is this worth anything? Which one would you choose?

P.S. Taking the LSAT over is not an option
Buddy it's been almost 7 years I'd hope he's made a decision by now.

TirantMartorell

Bronze

Post by TirantMartorell » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:19 pm

UBETutoring wrote:Is there any connection between St. Thomas the school and the virgin island?
No. According to Wikipedia: St. Thomas University’s history can be traced back to 1946 Havana, Cuba, where it was founded as the Universidad Católica de Santo Tomás de Villanueva, named after Saint Thomas of Villanova. In 1961, Fidel Castro's militia confiscated the school's land and expelled the faculty and priests. In turn, the Augustinians fled to Miami and opened a new Catholic men’s college – Biscayne College. In 1984, with the establishment of the School of Law and other graduate degree programs, the college, by then co-educational, again became St. Thomas University.

LSATWiz.com

Silver

Post by LSATWiz.com » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm

TirantMartorell wrote:
UBETutoring wrote:Is there any connection between St. Thomas the school and the virgin island?
No. According to Wikipedia: St. Thomas University’s history can be traced back to 1946 Havana, Cuba, where it was founded as the Universidad Católica de Santo Tomás de Villanueva, named after Saint Thomas of Villanova. In 1961, Fidel Castro's militia confiscated the school's land and expelled the faculty and priests. In turn, the Augustinians fled to Miami and opened a new Catholic men’s college – Biscayne College. In 1984, with the establishment of the School of Law and other graduate degree programs, the college, by then co-educational, again became St. Thomas University.
How heroic. If the school can persevere in the face of tyranny and overwhelming odds, perhaps its students can do the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”