OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
drkacy2b

New

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by drkacy2b » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:29 pm

dannyswo wrote:Hi, 41 now, 42 when I start law school. Happy that I'm not the only 40+ student doing this.
Me too! Where are you applying to?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:59 pm

drkacy2b wrote:
cinnamon_bun wrote:Uhh, you guys. :|

So here I am thinking that I am in a good position to apply to law school which has been my dream for years. I'm 29, set to graduate with a 4.0 and I'm studying hard or the LSAT months and months in advance, and then reality hits me like a ton of bricks: LSAC takes all grades into consideration you got before earning your B.A., not just ones that are counted towards your B.A. Wha?! How did I not know this until now?

I have always gotten really stellar grades but in 2013 attempted an entire year of school while basically crashing and burning under the weight of clinical depression. As a result, I withdrew for both semesters long after the withdraw dates (my fault completely) and kind of limped along until the last minute trying desperately to pass my classes. I basically have about 19 credits of big fat "F" in LSAC's eyes, despite being a stellar student before and being on track to graduate with a 4.0 now. The worst part is that I only saw a doctor for a few months, got diagnosed and then thought, "Oh I'll just wing it" and stopped seeing him, so I can't even medically document it for law school admissions (would I even want to medically document it, though?).

What do I do? Even with my grades now, my true LSAC GPA is seveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerely under what I expected of myself and barely scratches over a 3.0. I was thinking of applying to schools like Columbia, NYU, Chicago and Penn because I've been getting in the 170s on my practice tests. It seems that I completely shot myself in the foot and can kiss all my (hypothetical) scholarships goodbye. I've worked really hard and if I'm honest, I'm kinda pissed about this.
I have been perusing law school discussion forums today, and felt like I had to reply to your post. I think that you would be able to explain the change in your GPA in some type of statement. You have a really good opportunity to discuss what happened, and how it is a testament to your abilities that you've overcome such a struggle. IMO - it makes you a more interesting, and dynamic person. Especially since you've made a significant improvement to your GPA. Also, if your LSAT score is high, I don't think it will make that much of a difference. Just find a way to turn your "weakness" into a strength or a "growth opportunity." Just my two cents here. :)
If you get into the 170's, you have a shot at those schools anyways! And probably some really great options tuition free

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:22 am

drkacy2b wrote:
dannyswo wrote:Hi, 41 now, 42 when I start law school. Happy that I'm not the only 40+ student doing this.
Me too! Where are you applying to?
I got in to U San Diego just last night, but I've also applied to Pepperdine and UC Irvine. San Diego is my first choice, so 99.9% sure I'll go there.

gbullock19

New

Post by gbullock19 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:55 pm

lolschool2011 wrote:I think we need a thread of our own to discuss and share considerations of the over-30 LS bound set. There seems to be an additional range or layer of variables involved in our decision to head back to LS, so I'd like to start the discussion here.....

If you care to share, how do plan to leverage your work experience both while in LS and afterwards when it's time to interview? (including summer work)
I'll be 37 starting law school next year. I was a late bloomer due to disability. Finished undergrad at 29. Taught English in China, then 9th HS for a year.

Started a new career in insurance had to learn a lot about the law/suits/contacts/torts/negotiation while dealing with attorneys. Not the best stats due to working all through college and being out of school so long (154/3.04) but I'm URM so got 30k to Stetson 3T, still shooting for UGA 1T, and GSU 2T (this one's actually my preference)

I want to go be in-house at a hospital or do medical malpractice. (I think, haha).

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:50 pm

gbullock19 wrote: shooting for UGA 1T, and GSU 2T (this one's actually my preference)
Nice - where are you from? I am a Northerner, but have family in Atlanta, so I applied to GSU. Last cycle (was 153 3.3) I was WL'd, but was accepted last week for this cycle (158, 3.3). The new building and technology is pretty nice, I gotta say - I toured the LS over the summer, when I was visiting. That LS is right on the verge of being a T1, not that that means much of anything, but it does have pretty solid employment outcomes in the Atlanta area.

If you are looking at living in the Atlanta area after LS, have you ever considered Mercer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gbullock19

New

Post by gbullock19 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:56 pm

bmathers wrote:
gbullock19 wrote: shooting for UGA 1T, and GSU 2T (this one's actually my preference)
Nice - where are you from? I am a Northerner, but have family in Atlanta, so I applied to GSU. Last cycle (was 153 3.3) I was WL'd, but was accepted last week for this cycle (158, 3.3). The new building and technology is pretty nice, I gotta say - I toured the LS over the summer, when I was visiting. That LS is right on the verge of being a T1, not that that means much of anything, but it does have pretty solid employment outcomes in the Atlanta area.

If you are looking at living in the Atlanta area after LS, have you ever considered Mercer?
Yes. But I don't think I would go to Mercer. They "quoted" me a possible 18k a year which I can prob negotiate to 21k. But I think if I'm going 3T Stetson may be better. They've given me 30k/yr plus they've got that beautiful beach and on-campus housing for 489/mo.

I'm originallly from Los Angles but been here 13 years. GSU campus technology is great for job prospects and I want to practice in ATL, but I'm looking at 51k versus 33k. Since I'm not doing biglaw I'm anxious about adding that to my 46k from undergrad. On the downside living in the middle of downtown ATL is a nightmare with the stadium here and I can tell you firsthand as I went there for undergrad. I'm not sure what to do as to me environment is just as important as ranking in my eyes.

gbullock19

New

Post by gbullock19 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:05 pm

gbullock19 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Last cycle (was 153 3.3) I was WL'd, but was accepted last week for this cycle (158, 3.3)

Any scholarship offer at all or sticker price?

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:02 pm

gbullock19 wrote:
gbullock19 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
Last cycle (was 153 3.3) I was WL'd, but was accepted last week for this cycle (158, 3.3)

Any scholarship offer at all or sticker price?
Sticker so far - GSU is VERY stingy on ships (I think that only around a 3rd of the incoming class gets money). Although, in-state is only $16k/yr, OOS is more like $33k/yr. You can get in-state after living in Georgia for 1 year.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:06 pm

gbullock19 wrote:
bmathers wrote:
gbullock19 wrote:I'm not sure what to do as to me environment is just as important as ranking in my eyes.
Bingo. When looking at schools like these, ranking is really irrelevant. There are MUCH more important things to consider than wether a school is 2nd or 3rd tier (or even later first tier)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:02 pm

How are folks able to maintain a family (wife and child), financially, and attend law school full time?

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:21 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:How are folks able to maintain a family (wife and child), financially, and attend law school full time?
Spouse that works and scholarships, lots of scholarships.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:22 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:How are folks able to maintain a family (wife and child), financially, and attend law school full time?
No idea. This is why I am working my full time job and doing law school part time.

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:25 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
I get the scholarships (will get a full ride via gi bill), was just wondering about expenses outside the scholarships...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:41 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
I get the scholarships (will get a full ride via gi bill), was just wondering about expenses outside the scholarships...
If you're doing GI Bill, you should also be getting BAH to cover at least some of your other expenses, right?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:42 pm

Loans. If you have expenses beyond the normal law student (like child/dependent spouse) you can ask the school's financial aid office to adjust your award, to address those needs (it has to be stuff like family, though, you can't get more money to make car payments or pay off consumer debt or the like).

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Loans. If you have expenses beyond the normal law student (like child/dependent spouse) you can ask the school's financial aid office to adjust your award, to address those needs (it has to be stuff like family, though, you can't get more money to make car payments or pay off consumer debt or the like).
I think people jump into loans too quickly. I have full GI, my wife makes about 40k and we easily maintain under our budget, and invest almost my entire GI Bill stipend.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:03 am

Wipfelder wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Loans. If you have expenses beyond the normal law student (like child/dependent spouse) you can ask the school's financial aid office to adjust your award, to address those needs (it has to be stuff like family, though, you can't get more money to make car payments or pay off consumer debt or the like).
I think people jump into loans too quickly. I have full GI, my wife makes about 40k and we easily maintain under our budget, and invest almost my entire GI Bill stipend.
I have no idea what the person who asked's financial situation is - I assumed they had a wife who didn't work, since they walked about maintaining the wife and child - but I presumed that since they were asking how to cover expenses, they were up against the limits of their income.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

KPUSN07

Bronze

Post by KPUSN07 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:05 am

Wipfelder wrote:
Good stuff to see there...

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:35 am

Wipfelder wrote:
Yeah I think it's a little unfair to just assume that everyone has the GI bill/fat scholarship. Ofc nobody is going to take out loans if they don't have to.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:10 am

dabigchina wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
Yeah I think it's a little unfair to just assume that everyone has the GI bill/fat scholarship. Ofc nobody is going to take out loans if they don't have to.
Right, but the dude said he had scholly money. But either way, is go further and say "dear lord don't take out loans at our age"

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:34 am

He actually said he had the GI bill but didn't say he has scholarships.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:23 pm

Savings and scholarships. But it's the financial equivalent of loans and scholarships. Either way, you're taking a 6-digit hit to your personal net worth.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:32 pm

KPUSN07 wrote:
Wipfelder wrote:
Finishing my 20 before law school.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:He actually said he had the GI bill but didn't say he has scholarships.
GI bill is a scholarship awarded by VA, and almost always equals 100% tuition plus associated costs and a book stipend. As far as schollys go, it's hella generous.

Sling bullets, get paid.

But seriously, I don't think debt at our age is a good idea,
and it significantly impacts the cost-benefit analysis. IME (current student) people are silly with their money, and could spend way less, and take on way less debt than they do.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:10 pm

I think that's a little unfair. To the extent people go to school without scholarships, that's one thing. To the extent you're saying people live high on the hog during school and not doing so would reduce their debt, I don't really agree. (In part, the problem with debt isn't students spending too much when schools charge $60+k/year for tuition.)

But then I went into debt (though not $60+k/year debt.) Despite being old. I get kind of annoyed at blanket statements about the effect of age on the decision making process.

(And of course someone with a full ride and a spouse making $40k should be able to cover expenses; that's not even really an accomplishment.)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”