OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wipfelder

Silver

Re: OLD SCHOOL (must be 30 and over ITT)

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Eternalsunshine wrote:Checking in! I'm a 33 y/o veteran, spouse, and parent, starting 1L in the fall. I feel old sometimes, and worry a bit about finding a good school/family balance, but I'm looking forward to school. Very glad to come across this thread!
I'm your same stats almost. Have you moved in to your LS city yet?

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:03 pm

Wipfelder wrote:
Eternalsunshine wrote:Checking in! I'm a 33 y/o veteran, spouse, and parent, starting 1L in the fall. I feel old sometimes, and worry a bit about finding a good school/family balance, but I'm looking forward to school. Very glad to come across this thread!
I'm your same stats almost. Have you moved in to your LS city yet?
One of our kids is in middle school (I started the parenthood journey pretty early), and my husband has a great job here so we're not moving. Thankfully there are two schools in my area. I'll have a 45 min drive, but it's not too bad. What about you?

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:52 pm

Welcome Eternalsunshine,

In these parts you just about a youngin (I was 42 when I started 1L). A 45 min commute should not be too bad, my trip into the office normally takes me about between an hour to an hour and a half. The lower end of the spectrum is not that bad, on the occasions that it goes beyond an hour and a half it becomes a drag.

You may want to check out the Veterans Thread as well.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=170257

Enjoy your remaining few months before 1L gets under way.

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:02 pm

Eternalsunshine wrote:I'll have a 45 min drive, but it's not too bad. What about you?
Half an hour on a train line.......pretty easy as far as the world of commuting goes.

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:44 pm

haus wrote:Welcome Eternalsunshine,

In these parts you just about a youngin (I was 42 when I started 1L). A 45 min commute should not be too bad, my trip into the office normally takes me about between an hour to an hour and a half. The lower end of the spectrum is not that bad, on the occasions that it goes beyond an hour and a half it becomes a drag.

You may want to check out the Veterans Thread as well.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=170257

Enjoy your remaining few months before 1L gets under way.
Thanks Haus! I'll definitely check out the vets thread, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:40 pm

Checking in here - I'm not sure if I qualify for this thread, but will be 30 by the time I start LS/1L in Fall '17.

I'm picking up and moving - I'm single. Beside the quality of the school and job prospects, a consideration for me is honestly a place that'll make LS a good experience for my dog (BC mix, 5-6 y/o). UTK sounds like an amazing school to attend if you have a dog (Knoxville is supposedly very dog friendly) and Georgia State would enable me to drop my dog off at my sister's and her family during crazy weeks, but Nova/PSU/Temple are probably a better fit career-wise post-LS. I'll see how much money these schools offer me b/c I am currently debt-free and pretty debt-averse.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:56 pm

@bmathers, sounds to me like you qualify to be in the thread. Good luck with with your upcoming cycle.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:26 am

OLitch wrote:Does anyone on here have kids?

I do. I must admit that I'm worried about my kids adjusting to our move on top of less mommy time. Parenting guilt is awesome!
Just buy them an ipad, they'll forget you exist. :P

OLitch

Bronze

Post by OLitch » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 am

dannyswo wrote:

I do. I must admit that I'm worried about my kids adjusting to our move on top of less mommy time. Parenting guilt is awesome!
Pokemon Go will be my new nanny.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:27 am

OLitch wrote:
dannyswo wrote:

Pokemon Go will be my new nanny.
This is a fantastic idea.

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:10 am

Hi, 41 now, 42 when I start law school. Happy that I'm not the only 40+ student doing this.

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:02 am

Last edited by Alive97 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eternalsunshine

New

Post by Eternalsunshine » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:41 am

Anyone here going the part-time route?
I am. I'm trying to balance school with kids, kids' activities, husband's work and school schedule, etc. I figured part-time would be at least a little easier to manage.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

xfer999

New

Post by xfer999 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:52 pm

Alive97 wrote:
Mid-30s here. I did PT for the first year (while working), then quit my job & transferred to another school's full-time program. Now I'm taking the bar next week. If anyone in the 30+ crowd wants to chat about transferring PT to FT, pros/cons of PT vs FT, etc. send me a PM on Thursday. :)

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:35 am

Alive97 wrote:
bmathers wrote:Checking in here - I'm not sure if I qualify for this thread, but will be 30 by the time I start LS/1L in Fall '17.

I'm picking up and moving - I'm single. Beside the quality of the school and job prospects, a consideration for me is honestly a place that'll make LS a good experience for my dog (BC mix, 5-6 y/o). UTK sounds like an amazing school to attend if you have a dog (Knoxville is supposedly very dog friendly) and Georgia State would enable me to drop my dog off at my sister's and her family during crazy weeks, but Nova/PSU/Temple are probably a better fit career-wise post-LS. I'll see how much money these schools offer me b/c I am currently debt-free and pretty debt-averse.
Certainly don't want to minimize your concerns but I would take the better fit career-wise 10 times out of 10. It's an overriding consideration with LS IMO.

I just spent the better part of a week at my brother's in Atlanta (not far from the GSU LS, only a few dollar Uber ride), and toured the school while I was down there. I fell in love with the area of Atlanta I was in (Innman Park, I want to say it was?) and the walking paths. The GSU LS was also state-of-the-art, and my brother-in-law's brother is an attorney in Atlanta (I have quite a bit of family in the ATL area). I certainly could see myself living there post-grad. A lot of the decision will come down to what schools offer me what, but all things equal, I may be leaning GSU's way right now.

Mousebandit

New

Post by Mousebandit » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Hey, all. Another oldie here, currently 45 and still probably two years out, maybe three, from 1L. I attended the first couple months of 1L at U of Arizona, 20 years ago, and dropped out. Grew up, got my act together, and have been being mommy for the last 15 years, but never lost my love for the law or desire to finish LS. Due to the foolishness of youth, I lost most of my undergrad credits and will be almost starting over there. Hopefully at least it will give me credits to help offset a crappy gpa, haha (2.9 or so). Prior LSAT was 173, and I feel good I'll be able to repeat that. Family plans are to head for Alaska soon, so Seattle U with their Alaska satellite campus is high on my interest list. A full ride scholarship is going to be the biggest factor, though, honestly. At this point, the husband isn't on board for the sacrifices of LS if there's also debt involved. Anyway, glad to be here!

Wipfelder

Silver

Post by Wipfelder » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Mousebandit wrote: LSAT was 173
That will get you a full scholarship to Seattle U!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Checking in as the 16-17 cycle gets under way. Any other olds applying this year?

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:27 pm

Pozzo wrote:Checking in as the 16-17 cycle gets under way. Any other olds applying this year?
Yup...figuring out how to attach these tennis balls to the feet of my walker right now as a matter of fact. :lol:

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:47 pm

I'm currently 30, finishing up undergrad, and pending any surprises, will be attending law school when I am 33. I have already posted in the Vet's Thread.

I'm currently active duty, and will be using GI Bill and potentially YRP to pay for law school once I am out. I'm single with no kids, and no plan for that to change prior to me getting out.

As far as undergrad and some fun blips from the past, I started off as a jazz bass performance major from 05-08. I'll be writing at least 2 addendums for that time frame (academic probation, multiple F's and WF's). I transferred to community college as a business major for about 1.5yrs from 08-10...will be writing addendums for several WF's (I withdrew after the drop date). At that point, I stayed away from school. I focused on my health, getting my head on straight, and other issues. I worked mostly retail as an associate and then as an assistant manager, including a stint where I was an Assistant Manager and Sales Trainer as well as a freelance musician (some months were more than I make now, some months wouldn't cover the electric bill). In 2011, I made one of the best decisions of my life and enlisted as a musician. One of the most important skills I have learned is to embrace the suck/perseverance. Whether it is with the work schedule, lack of sleep, or figuring out how to fit 50 pounds of crap into a 5-pound bag. Instead of breaking or saying "I don't have time", I figure out a way to make it work. With that being said, I restarted classes during summer of 2016 (this year). I'm on track to graduate early 2018 with a degree in Business Management with a Law for Business minor. If the school offered a music minor, I would have enough transfer credit and military credit to earn it.

As far as schools, programs, etc go, I'm focused on schools in the Chicago area. That is where I enlisted from, and it is the area that feels like home. My top choice is Northwestern, and then Chicago-Kent, DePaul, and Loyola-Chicago are all in the same boat for me. My backup school is Northern Illinois.

I plan on making the most of the GI Bill, and Illinois Veteran's Grant. So, the plan is to use the GI Bill to cover at least a JD, if not a JD/MBA or JD/LLM (yes, I have read about how the last two are nearly worthless). GI Bill covers 36 months of benefits (roughly 9 months per academic year), so I could do a 4 year program, as long as it isn't a 48 month academic program. I'll be saving the IVG for use down the road, since it is more limited in application (can only be used at IL state schools). Whether that means doing a part time MBA or a second bachelor's remains to be seen. I'm not thinking very hard for a time frame that is about six years into the future.

Pozzo

Gold

Post by Pozzo » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:
Pozzo wrote:Checking in as the 16-17 cycle gets under way. Any other olds applying this year?
Yup...figuring out how to attach these tennis balls to the feet of my walker right now as a matter of fact. :lol:
Still waiting on Medicare for mine.

May your admissions be as plentiful as periods and typos in my text messages.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:36 am

CMac86 wrote:I'm currently 30, finishing up undergrad, and pending any surprises, will be attending law school when I am 33. I have already posted in the Vet's Thread.

I'm currently active duty, and will be using GI Bill and potentially YRP to pay for law school once I am out. I'm single with no kids, and no plan for that to change prior to me getting out.
Things people say right before they stop being single... :?

CMac86

Bronze

Post by CMac86 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:20 pm

dannyswo wrote:
CMac86 wrote:I'm currently 30, finishing up undergrad, and pending any surprises, will be attending law school when I am 33. I have already posted in the Vet's Thread.

I think it is more likely that I will write a 180 on the February test than leave the service with a wife and kids.

bmathers

Silver

Post by bmathers » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:00 am

CMac86 wrote:
dannyswo wrote:

I think it is more likely that I will write a 180 on the February test than leave the service with a wife and kids.
Congrats on that 180

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:20 am

Dropping my first application when I get home from work this evening.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”