Tier 2 (free) or t30 (no debt)? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which en'?

Tennessee (full ride)
52%
T30 (no debt)
48%

Total votes: 27

vandalvideo

Bronze

Tier 2 (free) or t30 (no debt)?

Post by vandalvideo » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:12 am

Alright, so the last thread I made asked about which t30 school would be the soundest investment economically. This time, I'm curious about the benefits of taking a no strings attached (and I mean no strings) full ride from a local tier 2 school (Tennessee) versus a t30 school like Emory (which I can afford out of pocket if need be). Please feel free to share your reasoning.

KimmyGibbler

New

Re: Tier 2 (free) or t30 (no debt)?

Post by KimmyGibbler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:22 am

I am grappling with the same question and decided to go with the scholarship. In my view, only the top 5 or so schools, which have actual national reach, are worth paying full price for.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 am

I'm struggling with similar decisions. I'm leaning toward taking the scholarship, but your circumstances are a little different. It seems that you can afford the better school without taking on any debt. I would go with the best school you can get into especially since you won't have to take on any debt.

rapstar

Bronze

Post by rapstar » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am

are you planning on getting a large scholarship from emory like 27k or 32k per year or are you planning on paying sticker? if you are spending less than say 50k out of pocket over 3 years for emory i would probably go there. if you are spending 150k out of pocket i would definitely not go there.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:28 am

KimmyGibbler wrote:I am grappling with the same question and decided to go with the scholarship. In my view, only the top 5 or so schools, which have actual national reach, are worth paying full price for.

only top 5 have national reach? Mich, Berk, Virginia, Penn? They are all stuck in a regional market?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:34 pm

OP, if your profile is accurate, this post seems to be a non-issue. You have hefty scholarships to T30 schools already. Is there a reason that you would consider paying sticker at Emory over $54k scholarship at Minnesota? Want to stay in the south? If big law isn't your goal, then full ride at Tennessee sounds excellent.

jeeptiger09

Bronze

Post by jeeptiger09 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:54 pm

If you're gonna stay in the south, take the money from Alabama. They're really generous with their scholarships, you can probably reason with them and there's a good chance they'll match Tennessee's full ride.

Would stay away from IUB unless you want to stay in Indiana, and the same for Minnesota. You could probably work hard to get off the Vandy list but you'd likely be paying sticker there. If you're thinking about the mid-atlantic, take $$ at W&M over WnL and Wake.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 pm

Doritos wrote:
KimmyGibbler wrote:I am grappling with the same question and decided to go with the scholarship. In my view, only the top 5 or so schools, which have actual national reach, are worth paying full price for.

only top 5 have national reach? Mich, Berk, Virginia, Penn? They are all stuck in a regional market?
Haven't you heard? NYU grads are stuck in NYC ITE! :roll:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”