U of Chicago - Quater System & Computers Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lawyer879

New

U of Chicago - Quater System & Computers

Post by lawyer879 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:19 pm

A couple of quick questions for those who know...

How does the quarter system at U of Chicago effect your overall work load?

and

Is it true that many professors don't allow computer usage within the classroom?

Thank You.

Gold

Re: U of Chicago - Quater System & Computers

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Chicago troll/0L here.

Each quarter at Chicago during 1L year you take four classes. However, you only take 2 exams first quarter, 2 exams the second quarter and at least 3 during the third quarter. The first two exams are only on two of the classes for that quarter. During the 2nd quarter, two of the classes you take on continuations from the first quarter and you take exams in both of those classes but the material is gathered from what your learned during both quarters in those classes (therefore, it's weighted double that of the exams during the 1st quarter). During the 3rd quarter, you have the same system where two of the classes you take are continuations from the 2nd quarter and those exams are worth double as well.

When I sat in on a class at Chicago last week, every student was using their computer to take notes. However, wireless is blocked in the classrooms from 9-6 (I think) so you can't access the internet during class.

Did I miss anything Chicago 1Ls?

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Chicago troll/0L here.
When I sat in on a class at Chicago last week, every student was using their computer to take notes. However, wireless is blocked in the classrooms from 9-6 (I think) so you can't access the internet during class.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:31 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Chicago troll/0L here.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
They just started this policy w/in the last 3yrs I think. Although it's probably annoying at times, the urge to Gchat, surf TLS, and do other mindless things are the internet during class would be too great for me. I'd say, from the perspective of someone who has never taken a law school class, it's for the best.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:43 am

hopefulundergrad wrote: Each quarter at Chicago during 1L year you take four classes. However, you only take 2 exams first quarter, 2 exams the second quarter and at least 3 during the third quarter. The first two exams are only on two of the classes for that quarter. During the 2nd quarter, two of the classes you take on continuations from the first quarter and you take exams in both of those classes but the material is gathered from what your learned during both quarters in those classes (therefore, it's weighted double that of the exams during the 1st quarter). During the 3rd quarter, you have the same system where two of the classes you take are continuations from the 2nd quarter and those exams are worth double as well.
Sorry if I'm being an idiot...

So that means:

Quarter 1:

Class A (1 quarter only) with exam
Class B (1 quarter only) with exam
Class C (2 quarters) with no exam
Class D (2 quarters) with no exam

Quarter 2:
Class C (continued) with exam
Class D (continued) with exam
Class E (new, 2 quarters) with no exam
Class F (new, 2 quarters) with no exam

Quarter 3:
Class E (continued) with exam
Class F (continued) with exam
...Class G? (new, for only one quarter?) with/without exam?
...Class H? (new, for only one quarter?) with/without exam?

In other words, what happens in Quarter 3?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

freeflowfox

New

Post by freeflowfox » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:57 am

4th quarter you quadruple your exam load and UChicago rapes you.

Who's that girl in your avatar?

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:28 am

freeflowfox wrote:4th quarter you quadruple your exam load and UChicago rapes you.

Who's that girl in your avatar?
I'm just trying really hard to like UChicago despite its reputation... but it's a little tough given Chicago's reputation on TLS.

Natalie Portman.

freeflowfox

New

Post by freeflowfox » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:38 am

I think reputation on TLS is probably going to be an ill-advised barometer on the quality and student life at a law school. That said, there's A LOT of threads where people ask about Chicago specifically. I think you may find them useful if you do a search.

That's Natalie portman? Unbelievable...

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:26 am

freeflowfox wrote:I think reputation on TLS is probably going to be an ill-advised barometer on the quality and student life at a law school. That said, there's A LOT of threads where people ask about Chicago specifically. I think you may find them useful if you do a search.

That's Natalie portman? Unbelievable...
Oh, I've done the searches. And I know current students say the reputation is, for the most part, overblown... but not necessarily completely off. I'd love to visit, but I'm abroad and probably won't (be able to afford/) get a chance to...

At any rate, the quarter system thing hasn't been talked about as much as general student/intellectual environment.

Re: Natalie Portman-- Yeah, I know, right? I kind of have a girl-crush on her. Even though she doesn't really look like her in that photo.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am

parker09 wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: Each quarter at Chicago during 1L year you take four classes. However, you only take 2 exams first quarter, 2 exams the second quarter and at least 3 during the third quarter. The first two exams are only on two of the classes for that quarter. During the 2nd quarter, two of the classes you take on continuations from the first quarter and you take exams in both of those classes but the material is gathered from what your learned during both quarters in those classes (therefore, it's weighted double that of the exams during the 1st quarter). During the 3rd quarter, you have the same system where two of the classes you take are continuations from the 2nd quarter and those exams are worth double as well.
Sorry if I'm being an idiot...

So that means:

Quarter 1:

Class A (1 quarter only) with exam
Class B (1 quarter only) with exam
Class C (2 quarters) with no exam
Class D (2 quarters) with no exam

Quarter 2:
Class C (continued) with exam
Class D (continued) with exam
Class E (new, 2 quarters) with no exam
Class F (new, 2 quarters) with no exam

Quarter 3:
Class E (continued) with exam
Class F (continued) with exam
...Class G? (new, for only one quarter?) with/without exam?
...Class H? (new, for only one quarter?) with/without exam?

In other words, what happens in Quarter 3?
In Quarter 3 you take four class and at least three of them will have an exam. The two continued from Quarter 2 and the other required course during Quarter 3 has an exam. It is possibly though for the elective you choose to take during the 3rd quarter (the elective being your fourth class) doesn't have an exam. So it is possible you only have three exams that quarter. This is the best route to go, I was told.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”