lawschool100 ranking? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
timertimer61

Bronze

lawschool100 ranking?

Post by timertimer61 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:19 pm

what do people think of this ranking? http://www.lawschool100.com
how is it ranked?

savesthedayajb

Silver

Re: lawschool100 ranking?

Post by savesthedayajb » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:22 pm

"qualitative rather than quantitative"

studylaw7

New

Post by studylaw7 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:25 pm

timertimer61 wrote:what do people think of this ranking? http://www.lawschool100.com
how is it ranked?
lol. do you really have to ask? It was obviously made by a HLS troll. Not to mention the hideous layout of the webpage with tons of ads.

not credible whatsoever.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:27 pm

Blatant anti-duke trolling.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I can get those rankings on my iPhone? Oh snap.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:34 pm

How useful can a ranking system be that has that many 5 and 6 way ties in it?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:39 pm

I love how it says it's qualitative not quantitative, but then just lists the schools by numbered ranking without any criteria for what qualitative factors were used to determine the ranking. Irony alert!

dukecardinals

New

Post by dukecardinals » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:43 pm

Any thoughts on AD's Selectivity Ranking? ( http://www.admissionsdean.com/researching_law_schools ).

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:48 pm

No particular thoughts on that, but the poll of polls is interesting. The t2 that is probably going to be my future school goes up 20 spots there! Also it knocks Cornell out of the t14.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:57 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:Blatant anti-duke trolling.
I was thinking subtle Georgetown trolling and blatant Harvard trolling.

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:22 pm

you all are going to hate me but i think it does a pretty good job of breaking down the schools into groups based roughly on their peer assessment scores and general reputations. with the exception of HYS.

kurguzy

New

Post by kurguzy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:28 pm

School rankings matter little. Class rankings matter a lot.

http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter ... 8256428026

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:29 pm

tallboone wrote:you all are going to hate me but i think it does a pretty good job of breaking down the schools into groups based roughly on their peer assessment scores and general reputations. with the exception of HYS.
I would trust a lot of TLS users to be smart enough to not group Duke and USC or Cornell/GULC and MPVB or Texas and BC. Does anybody else find it odd that the author of the website described UNC as "Carolina Law"?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:30 pm

kurguzy wrote:School rankings matter little. Class rankings matter a lot.

Actually what matters a lot is both, ITE.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:51 pm

I have been around TLS for quite some time now reading the threads and posts. One thing occurrs to me when it comes to rankings: people really seem to give a lot of credibility to the USNWR that it doesn't deserve, and that colors their perceptions of alternative rankings. What makes Bob Morse (of USN) the arbiter of what factors should be most important in assessing the merits of a law school? He and his USN cohorts are neither law partners, law deans, law professors, nor students.

How does he come up with the weights applied to the metrics? Did he ever survey the "experts" I mentioned to find out what they thought of them before he began circulating the rankings in the first place? I doubt it. That alone makes it an arbitrary process. And Leiter's rankings are not much better. The mass groupings of the LS100 seem to make more sense than anything else I have seen. But it would be nice to know exactly how LS100 arrived at its rankings.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:39 pm

kurguzy wrote:School rankings matter little. Class rankings matter a lot.

I agree with the conclusion from the article. I'm not sure you read the bolded part though.
For the vast majority of students who are not admitted to top-tier national law schools, these figures lead to a simple conclusion: Slavishly following the U.S. News rankings will not significantly increase one's large-firm job prospects. And the excess debt that students incur is likely to undermine their career options.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:47 pm

PDaddy wrote:I have been around TLS for quite some time now reading the threads and posts. One thing occurrs to me when it comes to rankings: people really seem to give a lot of credibility to the USNWR that it doesn't deserve, and that colors their perceptions of alternative rankings.
Actually what people here seem to do is give credit to the rankings of the national and super-regional schools, and then say that it doesn't matter where any school below those is ranked, you'd better 1) do really well there (top 25% of your class at least if not better) and 2) plan on working in that school's region when you graduate.

And this is generally accurate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:49 pm

PDaddy wrote:I have been around TLS for quite some time now reading the threads and posts. One thing occurrs to me when it comes to rankings: people really seem to give a lot of credibility to the USNWR that it doesn't deserve, and that colors their perceptions of alternative rankings. What makes Bob Morse (of USN) the arbiter of what factors should be most important in assessing the merits of a law school? He and his USN cohorts are neither law partners, law deans, law professors, nor students.

How does he come up with the weights applied to the metrics? Did he ever survey the "experts" I mentioned to find out what they thought of them before he began circulating the rankings in the first place? I doubt it. That alone makes it an arbitrary process. And Leiter's rankings are not much better. The mass groupings of the LS100 seem to make more sense than anything else I have seen. But it would be nice to know exactly how LS100 arrived at its rankings.
But law schools buy into it. That gives Bob his power.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
tallboone wrote:you all are going to hate me but i think it does a pretty good job of breaking down the schools into groups based roughly on their peer assessment scores and general reputations. with the exception of HYS.
I would trust a lot of TLS users to be smart enough to not group Duke and USC or Cornell/GULC and MPVB or Texas and BC. Does anybody else find it odd that the author of the website described UNC as "Carolina Law"?
+1 on the lunacy of saying Duke and USC are peer schools.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:59 pm

bees wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I have been around TLS for quite some time now reading the threads and posts. One thing occurrs to me when it comes to rankings: people really seem to give a lot of credibility to the USNWR that it doesn't deserve, and that colors their perceptions of alternative rankings. What makes Bob Morse (of USN) the arbiter of what factors should be most important in assessing the merits of a law school? He and his USN cohorts are neither law partners, law deans, law professors, nor students.

No they don't, USNWR just makes sure their rankings roughly match hiring trends.

EDIT: I'm retarded and read that as law firms, instead of law schools.
Last edited by 09042014 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bees wrote:

No they don't, USNWR just makes sure their rankings roughly match hiring trends.
http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Do you think not having a 170 or a 3.85 would still be the kiss of death without these rankings (a decent amount of which are determined by GPA/LSAT)?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:08 pm

YHS

CCN

MVPMND

C

Gulc/UCLA/Vandy/UT

BC/BU/Fordham/GW/Minn/WUSTL/ND/UIUC (though maybe not ITE)/USC/EMory

Davis/Hastings/Wisconsin/UWashington/OSU/Iowa/Indiana/Bama/UNC/Georgia/W&M/W&L

Rest of T1

Killself
Last edited by 09042014 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:09 pm

bees wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
bees wrote:

http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Do you think not having a 170 or a 3.85 would still be the kiss of death without these rankings (a decent amount of which are determined by GPA/LSAT)?
Shit never mind, I read that as law firms. Of course law schools do. Hell I literally got into a good law school because of that magazine.

Sorry for being confused.

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Shit never mind, I read that as law firms. Of course law schools do. Hell I literally got into a good law school because of that magazine.

No worries. You provided me with a chance to link to that ridiculous graph.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:14 pm

bees wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Shit never mind, I read that as law firms. Of course law schools do. Hell I literally got into a good law school because of that magazine.

No worries. You provided me with a chance to link to that ridiculous graph.
What is even more ridiculous was that they were handing out conditional acceptances. If you had a 3.87, you had to keep your GPA above 3.85 or you acceptance was no longer valid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”