I like UVA but I SUCK at softball Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
imisscollege

Bronze

I like UVA but I SUCK at softball

Post by imisscollege » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:38 pm

Currently WLed at UVA and taking the LSAT in feb to try to get in but I'm just asking a silly question--

I like everything I have heard about UVA academically, etc. And as far as the fratty thing, do like to pregame, get drunk etc, like the idea, and am fairly athletic (club lax in ug, soccer, lax in hs) but I absolutely despise softball. I also suck at it. I just completely lack every bit of coordination the sport requires. Hence my deciding to pick up lax. So serious question--will this really negatively effect my social life at UVA?

Note: Even if the answer is yes I'd still prob go to UVA if I got in. I'm just curious

Kohinoor

Gold

Re: I like UVA but I SUCK at softball

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Not at all, no. My section was pretty mediocre at softball and I was really bad. I still showed up to the games, commiserated, trash talked and had a good time. It's much better to go and be bad and enthusiastic than not to show up since the only time that softball is no fun is (A) if you're bad AND take the game too seriously or (B) if your section blows it off.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:49 pm

imisscollege wrote:Currently WLed at UVA and taking the LSAT in feb to try to get in but I'm just asking a silly question--

I like everything I have heard about UVA academically, etc. And as far as the fratty thing, do like to pregame, get drunk etc, like the idea, and am fairly athletic (club lax in ug, soccer, lax in hs) but I absolutely despise softball. I also suck at it. I just completely lack every bit of coordination the sport requires. Hence my deciding to pick up lax. So serious question--will this really negatively effect my social life at UVA?

Note: Even if the answer is yes I'd still prob go to UVA if I got in. I'm just curious

Lax requires hand eye coordination. If you are any good at lax I'm sure you can hit a softball.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:56 pm

dk8 wrote:
imisscollege wrote:Currently WLed at UVA and taking the LSAT in feb to try to get in but I'm just asking a silly question--

Lax requires hand eye coordination. If you are any good at lax I'm sure you can hit a softball.
trust me the second i get in off that WL (if...) I'll be practicing but I'm just not optimistic based on past performances.

So everybody is automatically divided up into teams via sections or do people choose people for their team?

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:59 pm

Go to Duke & pick up bowling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:24 pm

imisscollege wrote:
dk8 wrote:

trust me the second i get in off that WL (if...) I'll be practicing but I'm just not optimistic based on past performances.

So everybody is automatically divided up into teams via sections or do people choose people for their team?
Automatically by section.

jbriggs

New

Post by jbriggs » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:07 pm

whats up imisscollege, ill be there next year and i suck at softball and i doubt we're the only ones, where'd you play lax? I ask cause i played club lacrosse at loyola marymount, thought i might find out if we played against each other

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:16 pm

Wait is this a serious thread? No offense to OP intended, but is softball that big of a deal at UVA? I had no idea...

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:19 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Wait is this a serious thread? No offense to OP intended, but is softball that big of a deal at UVA? I had no idea...
I was talking to my friend who's really good friend goes there and apparently grades aren't stressful cause almost everybody gets B's. So instead, everybody just thinks/talks about going out/drinking and softball all the time. Sounds awesome...only I don't like softball. So that's why I asked. Dead serious question.

And I played lax for a moderately prestigious liberal arts school in the northeast but for the sake of anonymity because I mentioned my numbers in a few different posts, I'd rather not share. I don't think we played you guys though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 pm

imisscollege wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:Wait is this a serious thread? No offense to OP intended, but is softball that big of a deal at UVA? I had no idea...
I was talking to my friend who's really good friend goes there and apparently grades aren't stressful cause almost everybody gets B's. So instead, everybody just thinks/talks about going out/drinking and softball all the time. Sounds awesome...only I don't like softball. So that's why I asked. Dead serious question.
The Koolaid is delicious but dangerous in large quantities.
Last edited by Kohinoor on Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:25 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:37 pm

thesealocust wrote:1) Nobody gets off of UVA's waitlist in an average year

2) Softball is way more fun if you suck

I'm taking the LSAT again in Feb for the specific purpose of doing everything I can to get off that thing.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:59 pm

imisscollege wrote:

I'm taking the LSAT again in Feb for the specific purpose of doing everything I can to get off that thing.
I don't think you quite understand the point. Nobody gets off of UVA's waitlist. I've heard of 0 confirmable cases of anyone getting into UVA off the WL in the last two years. They keep overenrolling. WL is a rejection that just takes longer for them to tell you. You can try all you want, but there's probably just simply no room for you at the school no matter how much you boost your LSAT or anything else in your app.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:02 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
imisscollege wrote:

I don't think you quite understand the point. Nobody gets off of UVA's waitlist. I've heard of 0 confirmable cases of anyone getting into UVA off the WL in the last two years. They keep overenrolling. WL is a rejection that just takes longer for them to tell you. You can try all you want, but there's probably just simply no room for you at the school no matter how much you boost your LSAT or anything else in your app.
I bet if he made a 180 and mailed in the ED form he would have a shot.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 am

I think anything above a 171 would do it along with an ED contract, since it seems that they're going for a 171 median, so anything above it helps them do that. Right? 172 helps as much as a 180 in trying to move up the median to 171, I think.

EDIT: assuming he has the requisite GPA.

imisscollege

Bronze

Post by imisscollege » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
imisscollege wrote:

What do we think the chances are that they will change the seemingly consistent over-enrollment this year?

kareenak888

New

Post by kareenak888 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:12 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
imisscollege wrote:

Actually, vanwinkle.... I know two people who got off the waitlist last year (personally). Also, if you go round TLS, you'll hear a few stories of people that actually do (I think pearalegal mentioned this in one of her posts).

Retake and as them to reconsider you OP or if you do get a higher lsat and you really want uva wait a year.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:25 pm

kareenak888 wrote:Actually, vanwinkle.... I know two people who got off the waitlist last year (personally). Also, if you go round TLS, you'll hear a few stories of people that actually do (I think pearalegal mentioned this in one of her posts).
Pearalegal is the one I think who mentioned a friend that said she got off the WL but then didn't go to UVA. I don't buy that much at all; getting off a WL requires a lot of work at a school that competitive, and you wouldn't go through that and then turn it down when you're done. That sounds more like someone's way of saying "I never got in but I don't want to admit it to anyone". I personally knew someone who exhibited this same behavior when explaining why they went to Texas Wesleyan instead of SMU (yeah, right).

This is why I said I'd heard "0 confirmable cases". If someone said they were at UVA this year and they'd gotten in on the WL, that'd be pretty solid confirmation, but I haven't actually heard of anyone who did.

kareenak888

New

Post by kareenak888 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:33 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
kareenak888 wrote:Actually, vanwinkle.... I know two people who got off the waitlist last year (personally). Also, if you go round TLS, you'll hear a few stories of people that actually do (I think pearalegal mentioned this in one of her posts).
Pearalegal is the one I think who mentioned a friend that said she got off the WL but then didn't go to UVA. I don't buy that much at all; getting off a WL requires a lot of work at a school that competitive, and you wouldn't go through that and then turn it down when you're done. That sounds more like someone's way of saying "I never got in but I don't want to admit it to anyone". I personally knew someone who exhibited this same behavior when explaining why they went to Texas Wesleyan instead of SMU (yeah, right).

This is why I said I'd heard "0 confirmable cases". If someone said they were at UVA this year and they'd gotten in on the WL, that'd be pretty solid confirmation, but I haven't actually heard of anyone who did.
if I ever figure out who you are and see you at UVA I will def let you know who they were (names and everything) :D

Getting off the waitlist is hard. But it can be done if you show that determination needed (even at a top law school).

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 pm

dk8 wrote:

I played wide receiver for years, but can't hit a softball or catch a pop fly to save my life.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”