am i in trouble? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
badgergirl

New

am i in trouble?

Post by badgergirl » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:20 am

i want some honest advice from all of you...

today my roommate called to tell me i got a letter from northeastern. she proceeded to open it and said i got rejected. to be honest, i was very surprised. i have a 159 lsat and a 3.57 (3.61 after this past semester), so everyone had been telling me northeastern was a target, perhaps even a safety and all of my internships and stuff outside of the classroom which have focused on public interest law kinds of things. i don't know if this year is just very competitive, but i am starting to think i am in serious trouble and should throw in some applications to schools outside the top 100. this would be a total morale crusher, but honestly it doesn't matter at this point. i am hoping that either rutgers or penn state pulls through for me, b/c right now it's looking like american PT and villanova and temple PT will not be viable options.

please help!

como

Silver

Re: am i in trouble?

Post by como » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 am

This application cycle will be incredibly tough. I would actually recommend waiting and applying next cycle before applying to T3/T4s. You can probably get your LSAT score up. Have you only taken it once? I know people here that didn't do too great their first time, but then got top 5 scores on the retake. You should wait it out. You will be a more desirable candidate with more experience anyway. There is no rush to go to law school..

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:25 am

I am not sure what advice you want. About throwing apps out beyond the t100? Sure, at least you can be guanteed to go to law school. Otherwise though, stay positive because schools do different things for different reasons. Maybe you made a little error in the NU app, who knows. Wait for the others though before you freak out.

jackster2

New

Post by jackster2 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:28 am

I don't know if I can be of much help, but have you considered Wisconsin? U of Washington? Other state schools? Look into Elon college in NC. It's a new law school without any ranking yet, but it's undergrad is very good and it's law school may turn out to be quite good. oregon? Hastings?
I think the surge in applicants has made it much tougher.

bighead715

Bronze

Post by bighead715 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:06 am

see how your cycle goes...retake lsat...reapply with higher score and work experience or better softs

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:20 am

Considering taking a year off and doing a retake.
Last edited by Richie Tenenbaum on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:28 am

como wrote:This application cycle will be incredibly tough. I would actually recommend waiting and applying next cycle before applying to T3/T4s.
TITCR

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:13 am

I agree with whataboutbahb in that Northeastern was not a safety for you, badgergirl. You probably had your hopes set a bit high and should not be overly discouraged. That said, many people get rejected by lower-ranked schools only to get accepted by higher-ranked ones. Perhaps Northeastern thought less of your internships and extracurriculars than American, Villanova, and Temple will think of them. Also, consider that last cycle, 159 LSAT was good enough to get into Villanova practically regardless of GPA. Don't worry; you'll be fine. You're not in trouble. And if you must go to law school this year, why not apply to your favorite school outside the top 100, for the peace of mind if nothing else?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”