Georgetown vs NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nortons

New

Georgetown vs NYU

Post by nortons » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:43 am

Hopefully I'll hear from Columbia and won't even have to make this choice, but....
I really want to know why Georgetown has such a low ranking, and if NYU is actually annoying-hipster central. And is COL really that much lower in DC?
Thanks!

kbo026

New

Re: Georgetown vs NYU

Post by kbo026 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 am

Last edited by kbo026 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:22 am

Unless you only want the DC market, you'd be crazy to pay sticker at GTown over NYU.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:30 am

Just to provide a sense of how much "cheaper" DC is to live in vs NYC - unless you want to live in Southeast DC, the not-so-hot Maryland suburbs or sketchy parts of Northeast or Southwest, it's going to cost close to 2k a month for a 1 bedroom anywhere near Gtown. DC is not a cheap place to live.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:40 am

This is not true. GULC is located near Union Station, not in Georgetown. You can get a 1-br in Eckington/Brookland/H Street NE/Bloomingdale for like 1200/month. Still, I agree with you that DC in general is not cheap, and I'd even venture NYC is cheaper if you're not opposed to a 30 min commute.
Last edited by gmail on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:43 am

gmail wrote:This is not true. GULC is located near Union Station, not in Georgetown. You can get a 1-br in Eckington/Brookland/H Street NE/Bloomingdale for like 1200/month.
I've lived in DC for 10 years now, if you can find a nice place on the metro or in reasonable walking distance to Union Station for $1200 a month, you should give up law and become a real estate agent.

kbo026

New

Post by kbo026 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:46 am

Last edited by kbo026 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:51 am

holydonkey wrote:
gmail wrote:This is not true. GULC is located near Union Station, not in Georgetown. You can get a 1-br in Eckington/Brookland/H Street NE/Bloomingdale for like 1200/month.
I've lived in DC for 10 years now, if you can find a nice place on the metro or in reasonable walking distance to Union Station for $1200 a month, you should give up law and become a real estate agent.
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Yes, a few of those are English Basements, but hey, you're a fucking student so get over yourself. If you want to have a nicer place, stop being such an anti-social fuckup, get some friends, and find a rowhouse in columbia heights.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:53 am

gmail wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Yes, a few of those are English Basements, but hey, you're a fucking student so get over yourself. If you want to have a nicer place, stop being such an anti-social fuckup, get some friends, and find a rowhouse in columbia heights.
Used to think this way and chose to live on the cheap. Muggings changed my mind after a while.

/not talking about Muggings on the news.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kittenmittons

Silver

Post by kittenmittons » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:55 am

NYU. It's not even close.

gmail

Silver

Post by gmail » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:59 am

holydonkey wrote:
gmail wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Used to think this way and chose to live on the cheap. Muggings changed my mind after a while.

/not talking about Muggings on the news.
Then I would just avoid GULC altogether as it's located next to DC's largest homeless shelter.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 pm

i cant think of a single reason to choose gtown over nyu. maybe if gtown paid you to go. COL is not that much different. in fact, i have a nicer place in nyc than a lot of my friends do living in the DC area (arlington) and i pay less.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:02 pm

Then I would just avoid GULC altogether as it's located next to DC's largest homeless shelter.
:D I lol'd

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:08 pm

it's going to cost close to 2k a month for a 1 bedroom anywhere near Gtown. DC is not a cheap place to live.
It's called having housemates. You are a student- this shouldn't be an issue. I pay 1K/Mo for a place walking distance to school and get a nice master bedroom (walk-in closet and own bathroom). No muggings or anything to be afraid of going on 2.5 years now.

But to the OP: I hate to admit it, but NYU is worth it unless GULC gives you substantial $$$.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:11 pm

gmail wrote:
This is not true. GULC is located near Union Station, not in Georgetown. You can get a 1-br in Eckington/Brookland/H Street NE/Bloomingdale for like 1200/month.

I pay $800 for my studio in Petworth. It is 6 blocks from a Metro and I can be at Union station in < 25 minutes.

That said, if we are talking sticker vs. sticker, NYU all day. The only exception would be if you were dead set on spending your career on the Hill. Even then, though, I am not sure Georgetown would be a better choice.

shadow.

Bronze

Post by shadow. » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:17 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:37 pm

nortons wrote:Hopefully I'll hear from Columbia and won't even have to make this choice, but....
I really want to know why Georgetown has such a low ranking, and if NYU is actually annoying-hipster central. And is COL really that much lower in DC?
Thanks!
NYU undergrad is annoying hipster-central. But annoying hipsters don't, generally, go to law school. And NYC is a reasonably-sized city, so there's one or two opportunities to meet people that don't annoy you. As for cost-of-living, NYU will cost more, but in the face of what you'll be shelling out at either school, the difference isn't that great.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:03 pm

I have lived in NYC all my life and spent a summer in Washington D.C. and must say that both cities can be extraordinarily expensive if you are lazy, and more affordable if you really do your homework. It is possible to get things in NYC for much more cheaply than in Washington DC if you know where to look. Not everyone in NYC makes $$$$$$ (think about the maids who clean townhouses, or the busboys in chinatown) and there is a cheaper side to accommodate a variety of budgets. That said, your best bet in either location is to find a local who can help you figure out how to live as affordably as possible.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:32 pm

shadow. wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:NYU. It's not even close.
sup bro?

2+2?
lol GTOWNaments

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:54 pm

Recent NYTimes article puts DC and NY at the same level in housing-prices. It even said at the current rate that DC will eclipse NYC. Its not surprising, I lived in DC for 2 years and if you don't want to get mugged then its pretty pricey.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”